Hi Im new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Im new

Hello everyone! I'm Drew from Cincinnati Ohio and Im totally new to this business. I just turned 30 in February but have been into real estate since I was 19 years old. About 4 months ago I took a huge leap (for me at least) and purchased a 2.5 acre parcel right off the interstate in a sprawing suburb next to a large Chevrolet dealer. Ive just cleared the lot, had it surveyed, drawings and engineering completed, and submitted to zoning. Im here to LISTEN and LEARN. I have been very successful with my apartments and light commercial spaces. My dad has been in concrete construction for 35 years but sold his business last year. He's been my financial backbone and has extensive experience in all aspects of construction.

Id like to know ANYTHING that would help us in this planing and development phase. Ive seen the wealth of knowledge this site has to offer and look forward to posting pictures of what were building with your guidance.

Drew

Re: Hi Im new

Welcome Drew and congratulations on your career move. I am in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada and was in the office supply industry for my entire career. I have just been hired to be the Location Manager of a 700 acre storage facility and am learning the ropes. I wish you all the best - stay in touch.
    Cheers,
    Darren

Comment

a 700 acre storage facility??

Comment

that's massive, i guess being from the city, we build everything up and not out.

Comment

Probably 700 unit...lol...Welcome to the forum DNolting.....SST is a great way to learn the business and bounce things off others who are in the business. Good Luck!
          Chasing Perfection to catch Excellence

Comment

Welcome Drew! Congratulations on you acquisition, looking forward to seeing those pic's as you progress. Keep coming back to the forum, you'll find great information, advice and support from the members here... they're AWESOME!!!

Comment

Welcome to the forum Drew!
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Welcome to the forums Drew, I'm sure you'll find everything you need and more here!
                Kevin Kerr
                Storage Commander Cloud Software
                k[email protected]
                Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Drew,

It's important to have a feasibility study performed BEFORE you build. We use Bob Copper with SelfStorage101.com, and Brad North with Advantage Business Consulting.

Keep us apprised of your success.

Scott Meyers

Comment

My bad typo - that's a 7 acre storage facility, not 700!

Comment

Indeed, my typo - 7 acre, 1402 units!

Comment

Hi Drew,

Your starting a great adventure. Send me a private message with your email.
                        Last edited by Amy_ISS; 4 May 2015, 12:24 PM. Reason: Site Rule Violation
                        Marc Goodin, President of Storage Authority Franchising
                        Self Storage Owner, Designer and Author
                        Self Storage Planning - Design - Marketing Services

www.StorageAuthorityFranchise.com

Comment

I really appreciate such a warm welcome to the forum. Marcgoodin - Extending a hand of kindness to a complete stranger says a lot about you. I will absolutley take you up on it. As of now we're working with the gate company on our gates. We're going to be doing two 19 foot swing gates with Byan 900 series openers and 1200 pound mag locks. Im thinking PTI for the gate system and syrasoft for the management. Also We're going to be doing a natural gas backup generator to keep everything seamless in the event of power outage. If anyone thinks any of the above should be reconsitered please feel free to chime in.

Comment

Sounds Great!

I would certainly go with PTI for the gate system. If you need a contact there let me know. Also depending where you are building I know a couple of great PTI installers. I highly recommend you include their system that permits renters to open the gate via their cell phone app.

I am not familiar with the gate you proposed.

I assume you do not have room to do a rolling gate.

Syrasoft is a great choice. I use it.

Cheers

marc
                            Last edited by Amy_ISS; 4 May 2015, 12:25 PM. Reason: typo
                            Marc Goodin, President of Storage Authority Franchising
                            Self Storage Owner, Designer and Author
                            Self Storage Planning - Design - Marketing Services

www.StorageAuthorityFranchise.com

Comment

Welcome from a fellow Buckeye! I am in Canton, this forum has been a wonderful learning/informative tool for me over the past year when I joined the storage industry. Good Luck!
                              Canton, OH - Hall of Fame City

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                                Reply to West Coast Wildfires
                                by pacnwstorage
                                Yea, even without the China virus we were wearing masks just because of the smoke and ash in the air. It's nice to get in the golf cart now and drive and be able to stop and not have the cloud of ash flow over me from the back. That cloud would kick up anytime I drove. Any cobwebs around the facility...
                                Today, 02:35 PM
                              • Grizz
                                Reply to Unit Pricing
                                by Grizz
                                You're right, I just wish I could find owners as good as PAC's but I wont hold my breath. I have an exit plan, just need a partner ($$$) to get the ball rolling...
                                Today, 01:35 PM
                              • letsgosonics
                                Reply to How much do you pay per lead? Per rental?
                                by letsgosonics
                                Yes, I understand that completely. I used to be that way before covid. I always speak with the person at the very least so get more info than my online reservation does, but it is taking a chance for sure....
                                Today, 01:32 PM
                              Working...
                              X