Maintenance Woes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintenance Woes

When it comes to facility maintenance, what's the hardest thing to maintain?
    Landscaping
    6.67%
    Unit doors
    40.00%
    The office
    0%
    Roofs
    20.00%
    Floors
    13.33%
    Security components
    13.33%
    Lighting
    0%
    Pest control
    0%
    Other
    6.67%
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Fortunately I work for a family that is not afraid to spend money when needed.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

We have a lot of earthquakes here, so we often have cracks in the concrete floors to deal with. I don't deal directly with the maintenance other than to say I've noticed something or can someone take a look at this or that. We have an amazing team that takes care of our maintenance along with the facility owners.
      AmyLou

Comment

Door Springs and it is not even close after that.

Comment

I tried several door companies, DBCI gave a name of a company called miniwarehousesprings.com They sell replacement springs
          at reasonable price.

Comment

Our most time consuming is landscaping in the spring and summer. There is English Ivy and Blackberry bushes growing EVERYWHERE and our maintenance person could spend his whole shift just working outside 4 days a week and barely stay on top of it. 2nd to the landscaping I would say is the light bulbs. We are an indoor facility, we go through about 20-35 bulbs every month or so. It takes 2 people and a 12 ft ladder for each one- not to mention they are expensive ( fluorescent tubes.) We looked into LED lights but the estimate to replace all the fixtures was more than we would have saved for many years.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
              Our most time consuming is landscaping in the spring and summer. There is English Ivy and Blackberry bushes growing EVERYWHERE and our maintenance person could spend his whole shift just working outside 4 days a week and barely stay on top of it. 2nd to the landscaping I would say is the light bulbs. We are an indoor facility, we go through about 20-35 bulbs every month or so. It takes 2 people and a 12 ft ladder for each one- not to mention they are expensive ( fluorescent tubes.) We looked into LED lights but the estimate to replace all the fixtures was more than we would have saved for many years.
              The led tubes have come down in price considerably over the last couple years. To the point they make more sense. But one of the biggest advantages to less is you don't have to mess with them. I used to have to main bulbs like you frequently and the last couple years without that headache have been almost worth it alone.

Comment

I can appreciate your lighting woes, and have a short story for you. About 30 years ago I managed a large rental housing property. We had 5 incandescent lights per building (times 30 buildings was 150 bulbs) with a PV solar eye so they turned off during daylight hours. Often the solar eyes malfunctioned. My average lighting bill was $35/month/building and the tenants often stole the 60 watt bulbs for their lamps. At that time, 15 watt fluorescent fixtures at $20 were introduced with pin bases that the tenants wouldn't steal. It didn't take an electrician to connect white wires to white, black to black, etc. so my guys made the change cheaply. (But I advise you to use a professional electrician, to CYA). My monthly electric bills dropped from $35 to $6/month, but most importantly I stopped paying all the labor to monitor buildings after hours, handle calls from tenants and change bulbs. I never did the math, but I must have saved $6-8,000 of labor per year when we stopped changing bulbs and it removed a headache from my job. Plus $600/month of electricity.

In my opinion, any maintenance facility in the country that doesn't have LED bulbs by now is a dinosaur. Our most expensive cost is labor. The 50,000 hour LED bulbs are so much better than the 10,000 compact fluorescents I used to have, and the fluorescents were ten times better than the 800 hour incandescents they replaced. Lighting has turned from a management headache to a non-issue.

Comment

Originally posted by StorageBuddy View Post
                  I can appreciate your lighting woes, and have a short story for you. About 30 years ago I managed a large rental housing property. We had 5 incandescent lights per building (times 30 buildings was 150 bulbs) with a PV solar eye so they turned off during daylight hours. Often the solar eyes malfunctioned. My average lighting bill was $35/month/building and the tenants often stole the 60 watt bulbs for their lamps. At that time, 15 watt fluorescent fixtures at $20 were introduced with pin bases that the tenants wouldn't steal. It didn't take an electrician to connect white wires to white, black to black, etc. so my guys made the change cheaply. (But I advise you to use a professional electrician, to CYA). My monthly electric bills dropped from $35 to $6/month, but most importantly I stopped paying all the labor to monitor buildings after hours, handle calls from tenants and change bulbs. I never did the math, but I must have saved $6-8,000 of labor per year when we stopped changing bulbs and it removed a headache from my job. Plus $600/month of electricity.

In my opinion, any maintenance facility in the country that doesn't have LED bulbs by now is a dinosaur. Our most expensive cost is labor. The 50,000 hour LED bulbs are so much better than the 10,000 compact fluorescents I used to have, and the fluorescents were ten times better than the 800 hour incandescents they replaced. Lighting has turned from a management headache to a non-issue.
                  I agree, I wished they would convert to LED but the owners dont want to spend the money for the updates. Hopefully they will revisit the issue soon. This building was built around 1990, so its not ancient, but it could benefit from some of the advances of technology in the way of lighting, for sure.
                  Last edited by wc1974; 23rd January 2019, 08:47 PM.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

We have switched to LED's almost 100% at both of our facilities. We probably still have a few here and there at one facility, we wait until the existing bulbs burn out to change them (for the outdoor lighting). They're definitely worth the initial investment.
                    AmyLou

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X