Bonus Structures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Structures

Just wondering if anyone has heard of having your pay docked for not meeting delinquency goals? This has not happened to me personally- but it has happened to a co worker who is seeing red because $100 was just deducted from their paycheck.. for the second time in less than 3 months..When I started working here I was offered a standard bonus package of: Monthly, if I exceeded last years income, I would receive x percentage bonus, as well as if my delinquent account were below 4%-7% there were tiered bonuses for that. About 6 months into my employment we were made to sign off on an agreement that if we failed to collect on those delinquent accounts then we would literally be docked pay (also a Tiered format). We were told we had to sign it. I did not want to sign it but it was one of those moments where you weigh the options and find you really need the job and hope you never get docked, so I signed it. I am fortunate that I have good tenants who pay on time and my delinquents are rarely above 2%.But it doesn't seem fair to me. If the managers are calling them, sending the notices out and doing their jobs but people just are not paying- then they should not be penalized financially for it.I'm wondering if this was even a legal thing for them to do? Just curious. I don't want to rock the boat, but it just seems over the top to me.. Just curious what the overall feelings on this topic are.(Keep in mind I am assuming this manager is doing their job correctly- I could be wrong and maybe they didn't bother trying to collect, I really don't know as I'm not privy to the details except what was told to me by them, but of course there are 2 sides to every story.)
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

First, I would never sign that or if I did I would immediately look elsewhere for a job and would not even give notice.

Second, I do not think that is legal. If it is legal, it should not be.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      First, I would never sign that or if I did I would immediately look elsewhere for a job and would not even give notice.

Second, I do not think that is legal. If it is legal, it should not be.
      You took the words out of my mouth!!

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
        Just wondering if anyone has heard of having your pay docked for not meeting delinquency goals? This has not happened to me personally- but it has happened to a co worker who is seeing red because $100 was just deducted from their paycheck.. for the second time in less than 3 months..When I started working here I was offered a standard bonus package of: Monthly, if I exceeded last years income, I would receive x percentage bonus, as well as if my delinquent account were below 4%-7% there were tiered bonuses for that. About 6 months into my employment we were made to sign off on an agreement that if we failed to collect on those delinquent accounts then we would literally be docked pay (also a Tiered format). We were told we had to sign it. I did not want to sign it but it was one of those moments where you weigh the options and find you really need the job and hope you never get docked, so I signed it. I am fortunate that I have good tenants who pay on time and my delinquents are rarely above 2%.But it doesn't seem fair to me. If the managers are calling them, sending the notices out and doing their jobs but people just are not paying- then they should not be penalized financially for it.I'm wondering if this was even a legal thing for them to do? Just curious. I don't want to rock the boat, but it just seems over the top to me.. Just curious what the overall feelings on this topic are.(Keep in mind I am assuming this manager is doing their job correctly- I could be wrong and maybe they didn't bother trying to collect, I really don't know as I'm not privy to the details except what was told to me by them, but of course there are 2 sides to every story.)
        Out of curiosity can you PM me the company you're working for?

Comment

I worked for a company *one of the bigger ones* who would dock your pay if you did not clock out for lunch within your first 4 hrs and 59mins of working. If you didn't get off the clock for at least 30 mins by that time you had $15 deducted from your paycheck. Even if you had a customer in front of you at the time you needed to clock out. Some higher ups would even say "tell them they need to come back later and take your lunch". Not sure how other higher ups handled it but I had quite a few staff who never managed to get off the clock in time. As the person who handled their final timecard submissions I made sure no one ever got hit by the fee's with missed punch corrections as I thought it was total BS.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
            I worked for a company *one of the bigger ones* who would dock your pay if you did not clock out for lunch within your first 4 hrs and 59mins of working. If you didn't get off the clock for at least 30 mins by that time you had $15 deducted from your paycheck. Even if you had a customer in front of you at the time you needed to clock out. Some higher ups would even say "tell them they need to come back later and take your lunch". Not sure how other higher ups handled it but I had quite a few staff who never managed to get off the clock in time. As the person who handled their final timecard submissions I made sure no one ever got hit by the fee's with missed punch corrections as I thought it was total BS.
            That's terrible customer service " Oh sorry I know you've been waiting in line but I gotta go to lunch now BRB!" I would be pissed if I were that customer. Any job I have ever worked for would say to go to lunch late if needed to take care of the customer in front of you.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

That's terrible customer service " Oh sorry I know you've been waiting in line but I gotta go to lunch now BRB!" I would be pissed if I were that customer. Any job I have ever worked for would say to go to lunch late if needed to take care of the customer in front of you.
              Exactly. That's why I always would "correct" time cards for my staff before submitting them. None of us agreed with the policy so we just "worked" around it. One of the other sites the higher up would not help his staff out so there was one worker I felt bad for. I originally trained him and the poor guy was so customer service orientated he would literally have 90% of his days be docked because of it. Thankfully he was working to work, not for the income as his wife made plenty so he really didn't care about the deductions but any other worker would of been contacting lawyers in no time i'm sure.

Comment

When I ran auto shops for 35 years I never worked for a dealership or the big shops that are nationwide for that same reason. Individual owners always let me manage my day correctly.

At this facility it is the same. I can close for lunch, I don't. I eat when I want to. I can also close and leave early without asking. I manage my own day and they know I take care of everything.

They said, "Run it like you own it" and I do. I will never work for companies like you describe.

Comment

If you are working for "X" dollars per hour and work "Y" hours, you multiply X and Y to get the amount you are owed. If an employer decides to pay you less than that amount because not enough customers are paying their rent on time, that would be illegal. If they're deducting from discretionary bonuses, you're S.O.L. You could report them to the labor board to get your back pay and have them fined, or sue them for the amount plus damages and also report them to the labor board.

My gut says any owner who would dock your pay because too many people are late will just fire you the moment they learn about your claim anyhow and call it unsatisfactory work performance. If it were me, I would find a new place to work. Once I'm settled, I would sue and report them to the labor board.

My ex wife used to work for a guy at a hotel that was a sexist pig. He hired all women except for the maintenance guy and paid them only regular time regardless of the hours worked. Numerous times she worked 60 and 70 hour weeks. She once had a 35 hour long shift because the same pig refused to work that day and told her she needed to cover his shift. Document everything in the mean time. She made the mistake of not keeping good records, so when he finally got reported she got a few hundred bucks out of the deal instead of the much larger sum she was owed.
                  A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

I would sue those people so quick that MY head would be mixed up. They cannot do that. Period. I said earlier, "If it is illegal". It is illegal. Sue them for all they have.

Comment

I would go to the local labor commissioner's office and start the paperwork. I'd be willing to bet when everything is said and done, they aren't paying you per law anyway. Docking pay for things out of your control? NO! Hell no! You can call, beg, cajole, threaten etc. and some people still won't pay. And then there's the holidays and tax time when we usually see a temporary spike in delinquencies. I'd be seeking new opportunities ASAP!
                      Gina 6k
                      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                      storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                        Reply to Break in at our units
                        by Steve_hajewski
                        One other idea that I had on this topic... while most security camera systems just record the data on a central DVR (and some have an option for remote viewing but even those don't always save everything in the cloud) there is another way to have a local back up. Some manufacturers make cameras that...
                        Today, 07:22 AM
                      • Steve_hajewski
                        by Steve_hajewski
                        Sorry to hear about this. Chateau sells a cylinder lock that is compatible with Trac-Rite's latches. The also sell two different stainless slide latches that will fit the door, however they will require drilling new holes.

It does sound like you were doing things correctly for being a rural...
                        Yesterday, 09:23 PM
                      • KrisinNC
                        by KrisinNC
                        It sounds like you're on top of it. I'd add motion sensitive lights. Regular lighting then when there is motion brighter lights pop on so they realize that maybe there are cameras. I'd make the utility/camera room not accessible to the outside if possible....
                        Yesterday, 08:39 PM
                      Working...
                      X