Accepting Deliveries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accepting Deliveries

Do you accept deliveries on behalf of your customers?
    Yes
    52.17%
    No
    47.83%
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I receive for several companies. I hold the key (they sign a key hold agreement holding us blameless for anything) and hand the key over to the delivery guy (except the fly by night Amazon delivery people-I'll deliver the box myself rather than giving them access to my facility) and they'll place it in the unit.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

That is a big fat NO!
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Like KrisinNC, I sure do. I also have the customer sign a Release of Liability. I receive an average of 200 boxes a month, sometimes more. It is a service to our 10 customers who we do this for so they can go about their day and take care of their customer. I even wrote an article about it recently for my company blog: https://www.storage-mart.com/blog/st...aha-and-beyond

Comment

We accept packages for one tenant out of 600+ since the tenant travels regionally for work. Originally, it was for business material (the unit is paid for by the company) but eventually it became an avenue for the tenant to order online - Costco, QVC, etc - and have the items delivered to our facility and placed inside the unit (we do not allow the delivery drivers access). We have the key hold form completed, keep a package log and do not charge for the service - however, when it is time for the yearly rent increase - the extra work does factor into our decision to push towards a higher increase. Any customer that has called about package acceptance we have told them 'NO' we do not do that - there are multiple businesses that do that, we tend to think that we should focus on the core business which is self-storage. I have heard about self-storage locations becoming UPS/FedEx pick-up and drop locations but hopefully our owner does not see value in that. The only time recently, we played with the idea - we had a large number of smaller units available and thought about advertising the units as package acceptance units (with the rash of doorstep package theft's locally it filled a need) - but the unit's ended up being rented. Our GM has asked us to think about advertising during the Holiday's with the same idea - package acceptance for the smaller unit's, however at this time we do not have small unit's available - who know's in November.

Comment

We accept packages at both our facilities but for business customers only and they must sign a release. We do not give the delivery driver the key, we go to the unit, unlock it and over see the delivery. We have one facility where we have been doing this for 15+ years and most of those customers have been here that long. Older facility we do not charge, new facility we charge a monthly fee.
            Stephanie

Comment

This is my question that just came up today & I searched the forum.

A man called and asked our reservation system if we accepted deliveries and they called me. I told yes on business customers although we would prefer not to. The customer would like to rent a 3x4x4 storage unit at $25.00 per month and receive shipments of his CBD oil stock. When UPS, USPS and/of Fed Ex came in we would accept the delivery and put it in the unit. If I got him to sign a hold harmless agreement and give the key to the delivery driver to put the stock in the unit would that work? I have always told customers no food or liquid in the unit and also, I am not sure I would like to be in charge of his CBD oil. I am leery of accepting deliveries unless it is one of our customers that have been here for years. Do you worry that the customer will say that his stock is missing and blame you? What do you think? Would you do it? Does it make a difference to you being CBD oil ?
              The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post

A man called and asked our reservation system if we accepted deliveries and they called me. I told yes on business customers although we would prefer not to. The customer would like to rent a 3x4x4 storage unit at $25.00 per month and receive shipments of his CBD oil stock. When UPS, USPS and/of Fed Ex came in we would accept the delivery and put it in the unit. If I got him to sign a hold harmless agreement and give the key to the delivery driver to put the stock in the unit would that work? I have always told customers no food or liquid in the unit and also, I am not sure I would like to be in charge of his CBD oil. I am leery of accepting deliveries unless it is one of our customers that have been here for years. Do you worry that the customer will say that his stock is missing and blame you? What do you think? Would you do it? Does it make a difference to you being CBD oil ?
                https://www.webmd.com/pain-managemen...c-difference#1

Read this article. I'd ask the owner and see what they say.
                When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

I wouldn't accept deliveries for anyone at any time, but CERTAINLY not for a $25 per month unit with all these concerns. This falls under the category of "unforced errors" for me. Just not worth it.
                  In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

On something that small, why can't he get it delivered to a P.O. Box or at home? It's not like it is on a pallet or anything like that.

Comment

No ... for legal reasons. Our state, Missouri, has regulations for "Self Storage" and "Warehouseman". Self Storage does not hold or control access to customers items. I am afraid that if we accepted packages or even hold a customer's key that we might be held to stricter rules and regulations ... bonds, insurance, etc. Refusing to hold property or keys is also protection from "you made a copy and stole my items."

Also, how do you know there isn't drugs or guns or who knows?

Comment

Nope. I don't want that responsibility or added headache. I had a new tenant call me last week asking if they could have packages delivered here because "we don't have a permanent address yet and only have a PO Box". Nope, sorry. But, you can have them delivered to your PO Box and you'll just have to go to the post office all the time instead of here.
                        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

We accept deliveries for commercial customers only. They are required to sign a waiver to hold us harmless and are also required to furnish business insurance specifically covering their stored goods/ units. They must be at front of property closest to office which are more expensive temp controlled units. We will let their delivery people through the gate during office hours only, They have a coded lock, which allows delivery service to open lock and deliver to unit and re-lock. We don't handle packages personally. They receive 10-20 packages daily. A few marketing promoters and a few pharma reps. One online adult toy business. They are least hassle of all customers and keep many of our temperature controlled units occupied long term. All auto-pay, all insured, all favorites! Units are usually beautifully organized and well kept.

Comment

I literally just had a prospective tenant come in wanting a 10x10 unit and wanted to know if we would accept deliveries. I said sorry but NO. She said that is what she is hearing around town and has now spanned out to my facility which is quite a ways from where she wanted the storage unit. I told her that we don't because of liabilities and she said everyone is saying the same thing. People/companies are so litigious now days that we just don't take a chance, signed waiver or no signed waiver. I did tell her that if they wanted to give a key for the lock and a gate code to Fed Ex or UPS they could do that and she said the company did not want to do that. It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Iamkathleenj View Post

WALGREENS accepts packages from FEDEX and UPS now. I wouldn't if I were you. Not paying enough for the unit to be bothered with accepting packages.
                              Tall Terri

The customer's fantasy doesn't always match with reality!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                                by MamaDuke
                                Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                                Today, 12:18 PM
                              • dakselfstorage
                                Reply to Where Would You Live?
                                by dakselfstorage
                                Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                                Love the entire area....
                                Today, 12:17 PM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                                by pacnwstorage
                                IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                                Today, 10:12 AM
                              Working...
                              X