Masks at Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smole View Post

What respirators according to you work, if these don't? Any model in particular?
    smole, I'm not a respirator/mask expert. But I do know that particulate respirators, which are all the N95 and other masks you can buy at the hardware store are not even close to protecting you from biologics. Hospital workers wear them because they're the best and least expensive option under the circumstances. When they come out of a room with a patient that has a communicable disease, they throw them out and get a new one. That's why they needed so many. If you're caring for a patient that is actively coughing/sneezing and expressing droplets into the air, then please wear a mask and goggles. Health care professionals never touch their masks with their hands, gloved or otherwise. Health care workers use N95 or blue paper masks because of the economics, the most protection for the least cost, after all hospitals are still a business that needs to watch the bottom line. BUT, they are constantly disposing of them and putting on new ones.

The general public does not come in contact with symptomatic people with communicable diseases (at least we shouldn't be), but if you did, you'd have to throw your N95 mask away after every interaction with another human. If you believe you're being protected against asymptomatic people, then the same argument applies.... throw your mask away and grab another after you interact with any person, they could be asymptomatic. But ONLY after you've washed and sanitized your hands of course, and if you happen to touch the mask while you're wearing it, throw it away and start over. Did you touch that pen, keyboard, doorknob, Coke can, rental agreement, credit card and then adjust your mask back over your nose? Drop everything, take it off, wash and sanitize your hands, get out a new mask, put it on, then wash your hands again because you touched the mask package. Now don't touch anything if you plan on adjusting the new mask.

I would guess you and many, many others have used the same mask for days, if not weeks. Even hours or minutes is too long if you've talked to somebody, or touched it to re-adjust it. (if you believe the mask is actually doing something for you). If you have a cloth mask, they should be washed in the washing machine after every time you go out into public, touch it or interact with another person.

If you want the real deal, then you're looking at something like what the firefighters wear, a 30# air cylinder on their backs providing bottled air through a custom fitted and sealed full face mask. You know why you don't see firemen with beards? They can't get a proper seal on their masks. Any facial hair around the seal will completely nullify it's effectiveness. I have a little bit of experience with this as I've owned a pest control business and had to have all my employees pass a fit test on their respirators annually. Not full face, but more like the gas masks you've seen on TV that look so menacing with the two large discs on either side of where their mouths would be.

So, in my opinion, if you use an N95 mask the way that medical personnel do when you're caring for a symptomatic person, then there is likely some benefit. If you're using an N95 or cloth mask like I think most people are, it's doing nothing but keeping your spit from leaving your mouth. The only way I'm getting infected by someone that is asymptomatic (since I'm not anywhere near those that are symptomatic) is if the droplets they expel during a cough, sneeze or spit land on me and I introduce those droplets to my mouth, nose or eyes, or if they land in my mouth, nose or eyes directly.

The most effective way to eliminate that risk is:

Wash your hands
    Don't pick your nose
    Stay 6' away

All very easy, free, and much more effective than a dirty mask on your face. But, if people want to wear one, I have no problem with it whatsoever. I don't believe doing so accomplishes anything worthwhile, and in many cases could lead people to thinking they don't have to worry as much about the the 3 things I listed above, THE MOST EFFECTIVE THINGS, since they're wearing a mask.

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

I too used to have to wear a respirator with filters for my job melting Beryllium. We had to do the fit test also. When I started painting I wore the same type mask. The overspray still made its way to my nose hairs. So on 911 I donated all of my new filters and new respirators to the NY pile crews. I started using N95 masks and was protected about the same. I still had paint in my nostrils. If paint can get in I truly think something as small as the Covid Virus will get past this false sense of security.

My daughter went to Lowes a few weeks ago without a mask and was told she needed a mask. She said even if I have a medical condition. The girl said nope come on in.
      My S-I-L was just at the same Lowes without mask with our 8YO grandson and some Richard Cranium yelled at him that he was going to make him sick and called my S-I-L an A$$hole.

MY FREEDOM DOES NOT STOPWERE YOUR FEAR BEGINS.

If a mask works that well and you are afraid then by all means wear a mask, Just don't force me to.

OH and while I am on this Covid rant, What happened to all the Plastic is evil people? We took a bike trip about 125 miles from PA into Maryland for lunch to a restaurant that actually served us lunch and drinks to our table of 6 People (imagine that).

Everything was served on cardboard plates and Straws, drinks cups and utensils were all the evil plastic. I guess it's not so bad after all.

I am sick and tired of Government telling me how to live my life.
      Joe Krezdorn
      DAK Self Storage
      Leesport, PA 19533
      www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Joe, I been sick up and fed with government control since I got out of the service. Politicians think the only way to live is under someone's thumb in the government. I guess when I am in the ground I will not have to deal with it any more. Politician a$$hole$.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

Go ahead and spin it any way you want. You have a right to. I also have a right to walk away from that spin.
          I'm not spinning anything.

Even the WHO reccomends wearing masks.

N95 masks are effective in filtering particles, textile and paper masks do filter particles but at a much lower rate

5e8786e32d7af.image.png?resize=1200%2C1200.png
          Source: https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...1809cc84a.html

At the end of the day nobody can convince me that an N95 mask isn't effective at lowering the risk of inhaling "bad" particles - there are scientific studies that prove that, and if medical personnel use them - they work.

I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist and she worked 2 weeks (1 rotation) with Covid 19 patients on a daily basis and didn't get infected.

Comment

Yep, we all know how much the WHO cares about the US citizens.

Comment

If anyone told me I dont care about the health of others because I dont wear a mask I would start laughing and tell them I a vet and go to the VA for my medical needs, I know how much the "others" care about my health based on the crappy care I get.

WHO are bought and paid for by china, nuff said

PAC covered all my other comments so no need to repeat them

Comment

We wear mask at all times out of home or vehicle. We are still under phase 3 of shelter in place order. Our customers must wear a mask to be on property (we are indoor store). All I know is that the CDC, Doctors and Mayco Clinic all recommend wearing at least a cloth mask to help control Covid-19. Only the WHO recommends "if you are healthy and dealing with someone who has Covid do you need to wear a mask." Until we know more think I'll err on side of caution!

Comment

Great!!!!!!!!! Personal preferences and safety are important. When you can decide for yourself, that is freedom. When it is demanded, it is anarchy. I change because I choose to, not because I am told to.

Comment

Originally posted by smole View Post

I'm not spinning anything.

Even the WHO reccomends wearing masks.

N95 masks are effective in filtering particles, textile and paper masks do filter particles but at a much lower rate

5e8786e32d7af.image.png?resize=1200%2C1200.png
                    Source: https://lancasteronline.com/news/loc...1809cc84a.html

At the end of the day nobody can convince me that an N95 mask isn't effective at lowering the risk of inhaling "bad" particles - there are scientific studies that prove that, and if medical personnel use them - they work.

I have a friend who is an anesthesiologist and she worked 2 weeks (1 rotation) with Covid 19 patients on a daily basis and didn't get infected.
                    It is not JUST the N-95 mask that kept her from getting infected!
                    It is the entire PPE that she wore AND maybe she doesn't pick her nose and she washes her hands!
                    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

And also, not for nothing, the N-95 masks, are recommend to be worn by the medical professionals ONLY!!!

Comment

Many states, including Arizona (mine) are requiring a mask in public. Has this affected your policy?
                        Last edited by Amy_ISS; 30 June 2020, 02:55 PM.
                        Amy Campbell
                        Editor
                        Inside Self-Storage
                        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

In NJ a LOT of people do not want to wear a mask!
                          It is mandated!
                          Our company's policy is that they MUST wear a mask.
                          Period.
                          End of discussion.

Comment

Our governor recently made it mandatory to wear masks everywhere with the exception of health issues, small children and if you could maintain 6ft distance. I had a issue wearing one while giving a tour, I lost my balance and had to reach out to steady myself against the wall. I felt dizzy and my heart was racing. I spoke to my doctor about what happened and she gave me a note exempting me from wearing it at work if I felt it was causing my medical condition to worsen. I gave the note to my employer and they basically said, I still have to wear a mask as much as possible but I can take it off when I'm alone or if I absolutely feel like I need to. WA is a right to work state so basically they could just fire me for any reason whatsoever. I was relieved they were willing to bend a little for me, worried they would just let me go rather than risk getting their business license yanked and fined by a govt agency. The mandate is unclear about using a doctors note- so for now Im just playing it safe, wearing it as much as I can. Usually I will last about 5 minutes with it on before I start feeling it.
                            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                              Our governor recently made it mandatory to wear masks everywhere with the exception of health issues, small children and if you could maintain 6ft distance.
                              It causes hot flashes for me, but I don't wear it unless I'm taking a prospective tenant for a tour, or I'm going out of the office to speak to someone, and manybe not even then if I'm 6+ feet away. I like the spit guard though.
                              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                                Thankfully my current job allows me to conduct business over the phone or computer from my home office.

However, I am wearing a mask by choice whenever I'm in public because I care about others around me. I have people whom I love dearly who are highly susceptible to any lung issue so I will not risk bringing anything home and infecting my loved ones.

I'm also the one who got coughed all over in my office in 1997 and got meningitis from an infected customer, it took me months to recover completely from that! I've spent my life around science and when you know the science, you protect yourself and others.

If in doubt about how far that cough or wet sneeze can go, fast forward through this documentary and watch just the experiment parts. GROSS!!!
                                https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/o...ip1-202003-001

I will state that yes, a simple bandanna offers very little if any protection. Wearing one improperly is a waste. However, I have been making masks that are resistant to particles as small as .01 microns for my family and friends. They also contain surgical material as a filter that increases their defensive properties. There's a reason why masks are worn in hospitals and doctor's offices. Until a valid reason surfaces with supporting data, I'll stick with the existing science and wear a mask.

I want all my storage peeps to be safe, do what works for you but I would encourage you to wear a mask for any prolonged 3-5 minute conversation or immersion in crowds for any duration. Trust me guys, wearing a mask is a lot less miserable than wearing an underwire bra every day, ask any woman.
                                You are right about underwire bras (especially if it breaks open in the middle of the day & the wire starts poking into you).
                                I'm ok with putting on a mask for a couple minutes in this swampy heat.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X