What Do You Love Most About SST?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Do You Love Most About SST?

SST will celebrate its 13th birthday in January. What do you love most about the community and why?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Being fairly new to the storage industry (started in April 2018), there are great tips out there regarding what to look for in a prospective tenant, also used this to copy settlement letters & just in general talking about the industry. My background was government for 16 years & before that, retail.
    Storage is a different field of work. I have no coworkers, we have a team of managers in our company that is headed by a great District Manager as well as the facility managers in our company.

Also here, I can come to vent about U-Haul under an anonymous name. Can't go to the dealer boards & vent because all our info is out there & the higher ups are always watching. If it were up to me, I'd totally drop UH because there is a lot of work involved that takes away from the primary business of storage. Anyway, I'll shut up about that.

Comment

Yes, being able to vent, talk about something funny that happened at the facility, finding clarification of an unknown that the state statutes don't seem to come right out and give the answer for, finding out about members that have had a weather problem at their facility and how to deal with the China Virus if unsure about something. The best though is actually being able to help a member, especially someone that is a newbie when they are lost as to what to do about a facility problem or a cantankerous tenant.

Plus hearing about the sometimes crazy auction related stories.
      Last edited by pacnwstorage; 1 October 2020, 01:29 PM.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Being able to feel part of something larger. Sometimes I can feel isolated. And I always learn stuff.

Comment

I have been active in many different message board communities through the years. This has been a great resource to help me grow my business over the years. I can easily come here to ask questions about issues I may currently face, and at the same time help others with problems they face. Helping others on this and other message boards has encouraged me to become a SCORE mentor with the SBA this year. https://www.score.org/ I started that a month before Covid hit so it has been a bit slow as a result.

I would encourage anyone looking to start a new storage business (Or any other business) to reach out to SCORE for free business mentoring. This would be a great option for managers looking to build a plan to get out on their own.

Comment

It seems that many questions have been answered so you can look and find your answer and if you can't find it everyone is so friendly and helpful. I have also been able to meet a few people on here and it nice to put a face with a name.

I love the humor and the good natured ribbing and the wealth of information.
            The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

I got my last job through here, and consequently got to spend more time with my son before he died. As far as I'm concerned SST is worth it's weight in gold.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
                I got my last job through here, and consequently got to spend more time with my son before he died. As far as I'm concerned SST is worth it's weight in gold.
                That is so sad, I am so sorry for your loss! ♥
                Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
                www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

Originally posted by MichelleG View Post

That is so sad, I am so sorry for your loss! ♥
                  Oh, thank you. But really-if I hadn't gotten the job I wouldn't have been able to see my son so much, so it was an excellent thing! Happy memories.
                  Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

That is great, I admire your positive outlook.
                    Linden Mini Storage, Reno, Nevada
                    www.MiniStorageReno.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• lady5563
                      Reply to Website Developers- Who do you use?
                      by lady5563
                      NO! Wake up and taste the Maxwell House Dark Roast!
                      It warms the soul!...
                      Today, 03:41 PM
                    • lady5563
                      Reply to Here We Go...!
                      by lady5563
                      I take my deposits to the bank myself.
                      I use the drive up and get a receipt for each deposit.
                      It seems as though the poster maybe used a night time drop off box and that was why the bank had to call the OP to inform of the deposit being short?...
                      Today, 03:29 PM
                    • RMRSS
                      Reply to Contracts are legal documents, DUH.
                      by RMRSS
                      Honestly I've never heard anyone have an issue with this before. In fact, all our contracts are electronic, so we type the info directly into SiteLink and the customer eSigns it on the screen. I've never had a tenant fill out the informational part even when we had paper contracts. So many people...
                      Today, 02:37 PM
                    Working...
                    X