Site Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Maintenance

When it comes to property upkeep, what would you like us to cover? Do you need advice on your security systems, roof, golf cart? What do you want to know?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I'm always curious to hear just how others keep their sites clean. We are constantly changing or trying out new equipment to see what works best for us.

We have asphalt driveways; when we first opened, they used backpack blowers to clear them off and get the debris that can pile up next to the unit doors. Customers complained about how much dirt would get inside their unit, so we moved on to a shop vac.... it worked, but was back breaking and took forever! We then got a push sweep that worked really well, but still didn't get into the corners of the doors so we would still have to pull out the shop vacs. Now, we just got ourselves a litter vacuum with hose connection and I'm loving life. I can clean our whole site in the time it took to clean just one driveway.

Comment

Is there anyway to keep weeds gone for long periods of time?? I have used just about every type of spray (including homemade) out there and pull them daily, but it never fails, they're back in no time! Being in SE Texas I know they are inevitable, but there has got to be an easier way....right??

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
        Is there anyway to keep weeds gone for long periods of time?? I have used just about every type of spray (including homemade) out there and pull them daily, but it never fails, they're back in no time! Being in SE Texas I know they are inevitable, but there has got to be an easier way....right??
        Goats?
        "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
        Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
        WA state

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Goats?
          Lololol! They grow in the cracks that separate the driveway to the unit ledges. I'm afraid goats would starve haha

Comment

Lololol! They grow in the cracks that separate the driveway to the unit ledges. I'm afraid goats would starve haha
            salt
            "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
            Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
            WA state

Comment

I use the extended round up, it does work the whole season, We tried the vinegar stuff, was twice as much as round up, it only kills the top, and seems they super grow after the vinegar treatment,

Comment

We have maintenance guys, they go around and weed, cut the lawns. I sweep debris and misc. junk that is around. Its very clean.
                Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.

Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by SimplySpace View Post
                  I'm always curious to hear just how others keep their sites clean. We are constantly changing or trying out new equipment to see what works best for us.

We have asphalt driveways; when we first opened, they used backpack blowers to clear them off and get the debris that can pile up next to the unit doors. Customers complained about how much dirt would get inside their unit, so we moved on to a shop vac.... it worked, but was back breaking and took forever! We then got a push sweep that worked really well, but still didn't get into the corners of the doors so we would still have to pull out the shop vacs. Now, we just got ourselves a litter vacuum with hose connection and I'm loving life. I can clean our whole site in the time it took to clean just one driveway.
                  In my previous employment, there was a street sweeper company that would come through!
                  Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

In my previous employment, there was a street sweeper company that would come through!
                    We looked into getting a street sweep company here, but they insisted they would have to use blowers first, which defeated the purpose for us bringing them in.

Comment

Originally posted by SimplySpace View Post

We looked into getting a street sweep company here, but they insisted they would have to use blowers first, which defeated the purpose for us bringing them in.
                      Did you try and call several street sweepers?
                      Blowing it FIRST sounds ......ridiculous!
                      You want your street SWEPT and NOT blown!

SMH over here!
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

Did you try and call several street sweepers?
                        Blowing it FIRST sounds ......ridiculous!
                        You want your street SWEPT and NOT blown!

SMH over here!
                        We tried to get multiple quotes, but we don't have a lot to choose from in our area and instead decided it might be a better idea to do it ourselves. The litter vac is definitely not the same as a commercial sweeper, but we can bring it out daily if we need and its been a ton more efficient than what we were doing in the past.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X