The Job Hunt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Job Hunt

What's your best piece of advice for someone looking for a job in self-storage?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Be afraid, be very afraid.......

Whoever you end up working for get all agreements and stipulations in writing and signed.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Be afraid, be very afraid.......

Whoever you end up working for get all agreements and stipulations in writing and signed.
      I'll second this. And say do the same for any promotions/job changes while with a company. I was with a company for years I thought I would stay with till I retired. The first chip in the wall that kept me with them was a promotion where I was promised quite a bit and never received any of it, gave benefit of the doubt and just inquired regularly when I had my weekly calls with my boss who kept giving me excuses about his boss being out of town and not able to sign off on it yada yada.. Finally when I got to have an in person with my boss and ask I was told flat out "did you get it in writing? I don't remember any of that". Yeah, red flag central...

Comment

If you don't watch your own a$$ who will.

Comment

Yeah, my first manager was promised by the owner's rep that if we hit a million she'd get a car. Well, he was gone and the new rep wasn't in the know about the promise. Needless to say, no car for her.

Definitely go onto all of the hiring platforms and print out the want ad-then make sure it matches what they offer.
          90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I know I have been searching for a different place in a state that is more friendly to my political and gun rights beliefs. What I have come across is offers of some kind of employment that does not promise anything yet. The best promises are people that have not bought a facility yet. I am open till the end of the year and have patience but I really want an honest offer for my skills. You may not like me but I WILL make you money. Period! A mix of outdoor storage is also in the works as far as I am concerned.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
              Reply to Break in at our units
              by Steve_hajewski
              One other idea that I had on this topic... while most security camera systems just record the data on a central DVR (and some have an option for remote viewing but even those don't always save everything in the cloud) there is another way to have a local back up. Some manufacturers make cameras that...
              Today, 07:22 AM
            • Steve_hajewski
              by Steve_hajewski
              Sorry to hear about this. Chateau sells a cylinder lock that is compatible with Trac-Rite's latches. The also sell two different stainless slide latches that will fit the door, however they will require drilling new holes.

It does sound like you were doing things correctly for being a rural...
              Yesterday, 09:23 PM
            • KrisinNC
              by KrisinNC
              It sounds like you're on top of it. I'd add motion sensitive lights. Regular lighting then when there is motion brighter lights pop on so they realize that maybe there are cameras. I'd make the utility/camera room not accessible to the outside if possible....
              Yesterday, 08:39 PM
            Working...
            X