The Job Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Job Hunt

What's your best piece of advice for someone looking for a job in self-storage?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Be afraid, be very afraid.......

Whoever you end up working for get all agreements and stipulations in writing and signed.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      Be afraid, be very afraid.......

Whoever you end up working for get all agreements and stipulations in writing and signed.
      I'll second this. And say do the same for any promotions/job changes while with a company. I was with a company for years I thought I would stay with till I retired. The first chip in the wall that kept me with them was a promotion where I was promised quite a bit and never received any of it, gave benefit of the doubt and just inquired regularly when I had my weekly calls with my boss who kept giving me excuses about his boss being out of town and not able to sign off on it yada yada.. Finally when I got to have an in person with my boss and ask I was told flat out "did you get it in writing? I don't remember any of that". Yeah, red flag central...

Comment

If you don't watch your own a$$ who will.

Comment

Yeah, my first manager was promised by the owner's rep that if we hit a million she'd get a car. Well, he was gone and the new rep wasn't in the know about the promise. Needless to say, no car for her.

Definitely go onto all of the hiring platforms and print out the want ad-then make sure it matches what they offer.
          When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

I know I have been searching for a different place in a state that is more friendly to my political and gun rights beliefs. What I have come across is offers of some kind of employment that does not promise anything yet. The best promises are people that have not bought a facility yet. I am open till the end of the year and have patience but I really want an honest offer for my skills. You may not like me but I WILL make you money. Period! A mix of outdoor storage is also in the works as far as I am concerned.

Comment

OK ... let's be more specific:

Where should a person look for a job?
              How can they make connections?
              Have any interview tips?
              Amy Campbell
              Editor
              Inside Self-Storage
              [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

Indeed, Craigslist, Monster, LinkedIn, (you should all have a LinkedIn btw-there are a TON of self storage people on there and there's a placement company that consistently posts manager jobs from all over the country)
                When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                  Indeed, Craigslist, Monster, LinkedIn, (you should all have a LinkedIn btw-there are a TON of self storage people on there and there's a placement company that consistently posts manager jobs from all over the country)
                  Yup, I see listings for storage all the time on indeed, everything from part timers up to DM's. I'm assuming the placing service you mentioned is Pamela? That's the one I have on my feed.

Comment

Dot the i's and cross the t's.

This industry is very demanding, as I am still learning after about a year and a half. Things change, rules matter and of course if you aren't going to be determined and a self starter it's not for you.

A lot of the things that become 'your responsibility' aren't written out in black and white but often implied. Ask questions, do your research and always cover your bum.

Comment

Something i've come to realize that I count as a red flag when I interview people is the ones who come in for interviews and with only a few months of any storage experience try telling me they have learned everything in storage and know it all. Just makes me want to start going into 20 questions mode and the first one being "great, so what do you do when you find a dead body?" To knock them off their high chair. But otherwise I must do pretty good interviews, I regularly get told after the fact they it was the least stressful interview they have ever had.

Comment

During my interview for this job I was asked a unique question that I didn't have an answer for: Why shouldn't we hire you? I was ready to answer the : why SHOULD they hire me part, but why shouldn't they? I had to think for a few seconds before I answered, there is no reason you shouldn't hire me. I am qualified and available. The interviewer said, good answer! You would be surprised what people say when we ask that question

I would say be prepared,( know the lien laws in the state you want to work in.) The best way to learn is from the ground up. Get the experience before thinking your ready to run the show. CYA in everything! PAC was right when he mentioned above no one else will! Get everything in writing, verbal promises don't mean anything. Finally- once you get the job don't let the work pile up. File it, clean it, repair it as it comes up and things will flow so much easier than if you procrastinate.
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

"I would say be prepared,( know the lien laws in the state you want to work in.) The best way to learn is from the ground up. Get the experience before thinking your ready to run the show. CYA in everything! PAC was right when he mentioned above no one else will! Get everything in writing, verbal promises don't mean anything. Finally- once you get the job don't let the work pile up. File it, clean it, repair it as it comes up and things will flow so much easier than if you procrastinate."

When I took over here I found numerous personal checks for rent that were shoved in a drawer with other items on top of them. Numerous tenants told stories of knowing they dropped off a check for rent but then getting a late fee that eventually was credited anyway because the couple that was here were crediting robots. I have told EVERY tenant that I will post delivered, dropped and mailed checks asap and also email a receipt as well as hand them a receipt if they so desire. I have never been a guy that has grass growing under my feet. Told the owner when hired that if they let me run the facility the way I want they will not be looking over my shoulder all the time. I also think that them being gun owners and conservative helped a lot too.

Comment

Originally posted by Orkocean View Post
                            Something i've come to realize that I count as a red flag when I interview people is the ones who come in for interviews and with only a few months of any storage experience try telling me they have learned everything in storage and know it all. Just makes me want to start going into 20 questions mode and the first one being "great, so what do you do when you find a dead body?" To knock them off their high chair. But otherwise I must do pretty good interviews, I regularly get told after the fact they it was the least stressful interview they have ever had.
                            I learned everything about storage in my first 8 days....the other 25 years was just polishing
                            --
                            Ron

http://n6ach.com
                            http://laws.n6ach.com
                            [email protected]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                              Reply to Death of a tenant question
                              by MamaDuke
                              Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                              Today, 12:18 PM
                            • dakselfstorage
                              Reply to Where Would You Live?
                              by dakselfstorage
                              Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                              Love the entire area....
                              Today, 12:17 PM
                            • pacnwstorage
                              Reply to Death of a tenant question
                              by pacnwstorage
                              IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                              Today, 10:12 AM
                            Working...
                            X