No announcement yet.

The Certified Self Storage Manager (CSSM) Certification

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If they will pay for it and you want the cert and know/feel it will help your value to ANY prospective employer, then I see no reason to not take the test. Good luck. I just hope that if you take the test and then 2 years later they it is time for re-cert, they keep their promise.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      If they will pay for it and you want the cert and know/feel it will help your value to ANY prospective employer, then I see no reason to not take the test. Good luck. I just hope that if you take the test and then 2 years later they it is time for re-cert, they keep their promise.
      Me too lol. If not, I'm really not "out" anything.
      Kristy Olney
      Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
      Stor-All Gardnerville
      Gardnerville, NV
      https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial/

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Plus, the certification moves with you where you may go. I am assuming that Gardnerville is a small enough town that you are either the only facility or one of two facilities in town

Comment

For anyone not well-versed in self storage it's a good course to take, especially if your owners are willing to fund your education. I've held my certification since 2006 and renewed every two years but I did not renew it on my last renewal date. The previous renewal was costly for what was/wasn't presented for the $200 in my opinion. Other CSSMs renewing at the same time concurred. So please discuss the certificate renewal with your owners as well, that's $200 every other year to maintain the certification. You don't lose the knowledge though so that's a plus.
          Gina 6k
          twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
          VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
          storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
          I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Hadn't heard of the certification prior to seeing this thread. As the GM for our company I can tell you that, personally, I wouldn't hire a store management candidate because they had this cert. Went to the page and read more on it and this lovely line stuck out - "a passing score of 70 or above on each of the quizzes at the end of each session" - yeah, sorry, but that wouldn't be impressive to me in the slightest. Maybe if I knew the course material AND you had proof that you scored 90 or higher I'd consider it a factor, but otherwise, nope.

In general, I don't care to hire people based on educational background to begin with. Some of the most intelligent, hard-working individuals I've met simply couldn't find the means to get advanced education or simply chose not to. Work ethic, personality, and how you present yourself go a lot further than a piece of paper in my opinion - but enough on that tangent.

Also, as an employer, I don't believe I could justify spending $600 per store manager on a certification that only requires a 70 for a passing score, nor is it something that's standard in the industry. I'd have to say unless this becomes a more widely utilized education that it doesn't sound like it's of much value. I know for a fact that the mega corps in storage don't require it nor even mention during the hiring process, too. Just putting that out there.

Comment

An an owner, I agree with what bjonesss says. I've always put more faith on my own training programs than whether somebody passed a standardized test somewhere. Plus, personality is far more important than test taking ability to me. I will choose an uncertified prospect every time over someone who has certifications but doesn't appear to enjoy working with people.

However, having said all that, I think I can speak for other owners in that we are happy to pay for testing and get our people more qualified education. It raises morale when people have more professional certifications. Even though it usually doesn't mean much to me, classes are some of the cheapest money I could ever spend. My rationale is that if I'm already paying $75,000 a year in salaries even if the classes cost $750 per year, does the class make my people more than 1% more efficient, or less than 1% more efficient? Usually the answer is yes, they are more productive.

Comment

Throughout this thread I have talked about the auto repair certs and that I am a Master Tech. I do still keep them up out of my own pocket because of how long I was in that industry. That being said, I have seen my fair share of techs with no certs that could work rings around a Certified Tech or Master Tech. What bjonesss and StorageBuddy say makes sense. The techs I worked with were encouraged to get the certs for 2 reasons. The cert looked great to the educated public and it got them more money in salary. As a service manager I always watched a new hire, certified or not, to see their work ethic and ability to use their heads thru the diagnostic and repair process. I also wanted to make sure that they kept the promises they made to me when I was in the pre-hire interview process. I always got the commitment from them to show at least 10 minutes before the shift and get their coffee ready, tool box open and make sure their uniform and safety equipment was up to snuff by the start of the paying day. I paid them to fix vehicles, not get ready for the day. It was always kind of like the tv shows you see where the cops meet up in a room and talk about the day ahead and then away they go.

If the storage facility owner pays for the certs for the manager and that motivates the employee then in the long run it is and can be a god investment but unlike the auto certs where the public was already educated as to making sure to search out cert techs, the storage customer is likely completely clueless about the certs and therefore as long as the employee takes care of them and manages the facility as expected and the numbers show all that, well it really seems to be all about being proud to have the storage facility management certification.

Sorry so long winded.

Comment

I agree with pacnwstorage and it looks like most of us are on the same page. But to offer another angle, training classes matched my philosophy on tools. For many years I managed rental properties and I paid about $130,000 a year in repairmen's salaries. If I bought some special tools for $1,300 did they improve productivity by more or less than 1%? In almost every case, the specialized (often expensive) tools made my people more productive than the cost of the tools. So my philosophy was to get any tool that saved time and to get my people into every kind of class that broadened their skills.

The worst that could happen is that someone became overqualified for their position and left me to get higher wages from someone else. Because they were my friends, I wished them well and was happy that they earned more for their families. Some came back when the other companies didn't treat them right and all have remained friends through the years.

Comment

Originally posted by StorageBuddy View Post
                    I agree with pacnwstorage and it looks like most of us are on the same page. But to offer another angle, training classes matched my philosophy on tools. For many years I managed rental properties and I paid about $130,000 a year in repairmen's salaries. If I bought some special tools for $1,300 did they improve productivity by more or less than 1%? In almost every case, the specialized (often expensive) tools made my people more productive than the cost of the tools. So my philosophy was to get any tool that saved time and to get my people into every kind of class that broadened their skills.

The worst that could happen is that someone became overqualified for their position and left me to get higher wages from someone else. Because they were my friends, I wished them well and was happy that they earned more for their families. Some came back when the other companies didn't treat them right and all have remained friends through the years.
                    Tools? Got 'em all. I soon learned that when fixing vehicles that working smart meant to have the tools that allowed you to fix a vehicle in 2 hours when it paid 3 hours. Over time the tools were paid for. Just because a tech of any sort owns the proper tools to do the job quicker and easier does not mean that the price for doing the job should be less.

I always told people, "Doctors have it easy, they work on 2 models and those models talk to them". "I worked on gobs and gobs of models and they never talked to me".

Comment

Originally posted by bjonesss View Post
                      Hadn't heard of the certification prior to seeing this thread. As the GM for our company I can tell you that, personally, I wouldn't hire a store management candidate because they had this cert.
                      I agree with your posting. To be honest, holding the designation for over a decade and in all the seminars, conferences, trade shows etc. I have attended over 30 years in this industry I've never met a single person who was hired or received an increase in salary due to taking the course. And yes, people do chat about it and the veracity of taking the courses when gathered. The requirements at the beginning were intense, you had to attend the specific conference sessions, your badge was scanned in and out at each session, then take proctored testing etc. The last renewal I did was fraught with errors and was dumbed-down in my humble opinion.
                      Gina 6k
                      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                      storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                        Plus, the certification moves with you where you may go. I am assuming that Gardnerville is a small enough town that you are either the only facility or one of two facilities in town
                        We have two here, and there are two others LOL. It is a small town, but our facilities stay full. My facility is the oldest facility in northern Nevada (to the best of our knowledge). But I don't plan to leave this industry, so I think it would be a good cert to get.

They also pay for us to attend Fred Pryor seminars, and I am currently getting ready for the ISS Expo in Vegas. We fly down tomorrow. The company is awesome about making sure we are good at our jobs lol.
                        Kristy Olney
                        Stor-All Gardnerville
                        Gardnerville, NV

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Thanks so much to bjonesss and storagebuddy for that feedback! I've been in the industry for 6 years and have continually attended education events and have received education outside the industry (that helps with my day to day work). I will keep in mind that if I do the certification, to save my score lol.
                          Kristy Olney
                          Stor-All Gardnerville
                          Gardnerville, NV

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X