Conflicts With Co-Workers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicts With Co-Workers

Everyone has experienced some kind of conflict with a co-worker or boss at some point in their career. A new article on the ISS website offers guidance on how to resolve these incidents.

Tell us about a time in which you had an argument, disagreement or problem with a co-worker or superior. What happened and how did it get resolved? What did you learn from it?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Oh boy. My self storage job in San Diego. One of my managers was getting sexually harassed by an employee of a sister company. I complained-wrote the guy up. My mgt company backed us 100% , but while the owner's rep said 'he was sorry' that it happened but that 'we all worked for the same guy after all," like I was supposed to let it go because the guy worked for the same owner.
    Ha, no way. I insisted that he get kicked out of the facility. Then he whined that he wanted his rent money back and the owner's rep told me to GIVE IT TO HIM.
    I learned that the 'Good ol' boys club' still exists. I left that job, and that owner's rep and the whole situation was a large part of why.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

The employee that was here when I started. He had it out for me from the very beginning because I was hired and not a "friend" of his. I learned very quickly to choose my battles with this guy, so about a month in I started keeping a "diary" in one of those composition notebooks. I still have it and sometimes read it, shaking my head at all the crap I had to deal with. He was the type that could get caught red-handed doing something, and he'd deny it and come up with some reason it was MY fault. While this guy worked here, I dealt with theft from units scheduled for sale, postage stamps disappeared (I'd started counting them after finding an unusual number of invoices in the trash he had printed but not mailed. Tenants started complaining about not receiving them and the number of invoices in trash always matched the number of stamps that were missing), money disappeared from the cash drawer then found its way back the following week, trash-talking about me to tenants. Every time he screwed something up with a tenant, his response to the tenant was "we have new management (me) and things are all screwed up". He didn't log into sitelink one morning til almost 9am (we open at 8) because "he forgot how and didn't want to bother me". He was always late, and when called on it responded with "there's no one here waiting for me so it's not a big deal". Except it was. He would leave early, especially on my days off when I was likely to be gone. He'd leave as much as 15 minutes early and would say things like "there was no one there anyway" or "it was slow all day". To be honest, we (prop mgmt and I) wanted him gone, but they wouldn't fire him because they were afraid he'd claim age discrimination or something like that. When he finally quit it was because he'd had a performance review that didn't go well. Property management asked for records of when he'd arrived late and left early for every day he'd worked for the past year. At that point, he was working Fridays and half day Saturdays and was still getting a percentage of my monthly sales bonus (don't EVEN get me started on that) and I was only working 4 days a week. At this review meeting, he was told he would only be working Saturdays, and no more bonus. He worked the Saturday of that week for the last time. I came back that Saturday afternoon and he was cleaning out his unit. By the following Monday, it was empty. BUT, he hadn't told anybody. Or turned in any keys. I let prop mgmt know and they called him. He confirmed he was done and later that day turned in THREE sets of keys. We still changed locks on everything but THREE SETS OF KEYS!!
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
        The employee that was here when I started. He had it out for me from the very beginning because I was hired and not a "friend" of his. I learned very quickly to choose my battles with this guy, so about a month in I started keeping a "diary" in one of those composition notebooks. I still have it and sometimes read it, shaking my head at all the crap I had to deal with. He was the type that could get caught red-handed doing something, and he'd deny it and come up with some reason it was MY fault. While this guy worked here, I dealt with theft from units scheduled for sale, postage stamps disappeared (I'd started counting them after finding an unusual number of invoices in the trash he had printed but not mailed. Tenants started complaining about not receiving them and the number of invoices in trash always matched the number of stamps that were missing), money disappeared from the cash drawer then found its way back the following week, trash-talking about me to tenants. Every time he screwed something up with a tenant, his response to the tenant was "we have new management (me) and things are all screwed up". He didn't log into sitelink one morning til almost 9am (we open at 8) because "he forgot how and didn't want to bother me". He was always late, and when called on it responded with "there's no one here waiting for me so it's not a big deal". Except it was. He would leave early, especially on my days off when I was likely to be gone. He'd leave as much as 15 minutes early and would say things like "there was no one there anyway" or "it was slow all day". To be honest, we (prop mgmt and I) wanted him gone, but they wouldn't fire him because they were afraid he'd claim age discrimination or something like that. When he finally quit it was because he'd had a performance review that didn't go well. Property management asked for records of when he'd arrived late and left early for every day he'd worked for the past year. At that point, he was working Fridays and half day Saturdays and was still getting a percentage of my monthly sales bonus (don't EVEN get me started on that) and I was only working 4 days a week. At this review meeting, he was told he would only be working Saturdays, and no more bonus. He worked the Saturday of that week for the last time. I came back that Saturday afternoon and he was cleaning out his unit. By the following Monday, it was empty. BUT, he hadn't told anybody. Or turned in any keys. I let prop mgmt know and they called him. He confirmed he was done and later that day turned in THREE sets of keys. We still changed locks on everything but THREE SETS OF KEYS!!
        OMG-yikes-what a jerk! Sometimes people just make me shake my head.
        90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

I sexually harass myself on a regular basis. I have thick skin so I get away with it but I think I may boil over any day now. I am a one man facility. I almost walked off the job the other day when I had had enough of my attitude.

Capricorns, what are you gonna do?
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            I sexually harass myself on a regular basis. I have thick skin so I get away with it but I think I may boil over any day now. I am a one man facility. I almost walked off the job the other day when I had had enough of my attitude.

HAHAHA! I deal with myself also...my Gemini twin is a real PIA!!! Moody as hell! Thank god I have no coworkers, just the owners, and one of them is also a Gemini
            AmyLou

Comment

Just last Saturday I played with the owner's son when I reminded him of my advanced years and how older people get grouchier and have less time for BS as we get older and while they love me now they have that to look forward to. I am practicing saying the accusation "AGIST" in front of the mirror so I can get it just right. I told him that not to worry, to avoid a lawsuit I can be bought of for $100,000.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I am very fortunate to have a great relationship with my co workers. We all know how to do our jobs well, everyone gets to work right away and our customers appreciate the positive vibe we give when they come into the office, or when our maintenance guy does something for them. Past jobs there have been one or three people I couldnt get along with, but it was one of those things where I didnt have to worry about it because they didnt sign my paychecks and they had no authority over me so I just ignored them and went about my day.
                You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

LOL me too except I'm a Taurus, very bull headed

Comment

I had an employee that one of the owners hired for me. And that's a story unto itself. Suffice it to say; if anyone has seen the movie "Single White Female" that's what I was dealing with. Like DairyGirl I kept a record of things she had done, took photographs etc. She even purchased a very expensive day planner I had received as a gift a few years prior. She copied ALL of my family and personal contacts out of the address portion of my book.

The icing on the cake was with her juvenile handwriting she was trying to forge my signature! I had been asked by owners to leave a key to our apartment on the office side "just in case." Needless to say that key vanished so the locks were re-keyed and only my husband and I had keys to our place afterwards. It was a creepy, frightening experience knowing I/we had been violated on so many levels. She was terminated and we had to call PD to have her removed from our property. She refused to leave stating I couldn't terminate her, even though she knew I had hire/fire authority.
                    Gina 6k
                    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                    storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                      I had an employee that one of the owners hired for me. And that's a story unto itself. Suffice it to say; if anyone has seen the movie "Single White Female" that's what I was dealing with. Like DairyGirl I kept a record of things she had done, took photographs etc. She even purchased a very expensive day planner I had received as a gift a few years prior. She copied ALL of my family and personal contacts out of the address portion of my book.

The icing on the cake was with her juvenile handwriting she was trying to forge my signature! I had been asked by owners to leave a key to our apartment on the office side "just in case." Needless to say that key vanished so the locks were re-keyed and only my husband and I had keys to our place afterwards. It was a creepy, frightening experience knowing I/we had been violated on so many levels. She was terminated and we had to call PD to have her removed from our property. She refused to leave stating I couldn't terminate her, even though she knew I had hire/fire authority.
                      Oh. My. God. How incredibly scary! Just, wow.

WA State

Comment

The only thing she couldn't mimic was my long, blonde hair, but I fully expected her to show up to work one day in a wig to match my hair. It was scary as hell. She was obviously unhinged and she wanted my job and my site. Scary what people will do sometimes.
                        Gina 6k
                        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                        VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                        storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                        I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X