Job Motivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Motivation

What are some things that motivate you to do your best every day at work? Is it the paycheck, personal satisfaction, career growth?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Personal pride as far as why I do my best. I was raised to have a proper work ethic which is sorely lacking in a lot of people now a days I find when hiring people. I have offers for more $, with benefits regularly but turn them down as I don't want to be part of a big company where you get lost in the mix. I like knowing the owners, seeing them regularly, having them actually listen *for the most part* to what my years of experience can bring to their table and improve their company.

Comment

I agree with Ork-personal pride. I'm not interested in promotions, I just want to do my job well, serve my tenants and want the upper management to listen if I need something (it's a work in progress).
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Personal satisfaction because of how I was taught to commit to a task/job and see it through. First my dad and then the service teaches you that. The family I work for leaves me alone and tells me they got my back no matter what. That alone is peace of mind at work.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I am motivated by money and yearly raises too.

However, I do feel that I provide stellar customer service and am a loyal (to a fault) employee.

When my upper management gives me "an atta girl" I appreciate that a lot too!
          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
            I am motivated by money and yearly raises too.

However, I do feel that I provide stellar customer service and am a loyal (to a fault) employee.

When my upper management gives me "an atta girl" I appreciate that a lot too!
            Well, money always helps. Me too!
            When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Yes Kris, money is not my only motivation but it ranks right near the top. Actually getting a pay raise at end of September. I think I will ask for $10,000 a month and work down from there.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                Yes Kris, money is not my only motivation but it ranks right near the top. Actually getting a pay raise at end of September. I think I will ask for $10,000 a month and work down from there.
                I like how you negotiate.

WA State

Comment

If money were a factor, I wouldn't be here. I was given this opportunity at a time in my life where I was unemployed, depressed, and really struggling. I feel the least I can do is to do the best I can, every single day, to prove it was not a mistake to hire me. I work very hard to make every day, every month, every year better than the one before.

Oh, and the fact that I have consistently been higher in terms of income and occupancy than previous management in my short time here (and no experience) than her many years here makes me very, very happy.
                  Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                    If money were a factor, I wouldn't be here. I was given this opportunity at a time in my life where I was unemployed, depressed, and really struggling. I feel the least I can do is to do the best I can, every single day, to prove it was not a mistake to hire me. I work very hard to make every day, every month, every year better than the one before.

Oh, and the fact that I have consistently been higher in terms of income and occupancy than previous management in my short time here (and no experience) than her many years here makes me very, very happy.
                    DG, like you, I was out of work for almost 2 years before I started in this industry. I had run shops for over 35 years and during the unemployment time my wife was out of work too and she passed during this time. I was at the lowest of the lows and after she died I drank a bunch. Just did not care.

Saw an ad on C/L and applied for a self storage management job. I was happy to get the job and moved there but the owner made me pay $300 a month for rent and utilities. I had a decent wage and bonuses. It was in a worse part of town than I am now. 2 years there and then I got real lucky. Here the place to live is twice as large, nicer upscale neighborhood, better pay and pay no rent or utilities. For the chance I would have walked thru walls for these people.

My motivation shows with the 6 years in a row of setting records here. They stand behind me 100%. There is nothing I would not do for this family. I also know they would never take advantage of my devotion to them.

Comment

I've been working at this position for over 7 years. I am a highly self motivated individual and a baby boomer. I like feedback from the owners and I also like the odd perk. For the most part I am just built to do a good job no matter what. To be treated with respect by the owners is huge for me.

Comment

I was raised with an excellent work ethic. I am honest to a fault, and I am extremely grateful to have this job. I have had highs and lows in my career due to many factors like economy taking a turn for the worse, or health issues with family members, having to relocate cross country for that. I'll never take a job for granted, and will always be loyal to my employer ( unless they become dishonest, then we may have a problem.) I am fortunate to work for a company that has a high standard for customer service, and high expectations for the staff. I cannot stand being around people who halfass their work. I treat this property as if it were my own. I am very protective of who moves in, who spends too much time loitering and I watch the cameras like a hawk. The bonuses are nice, and the pay is very fair. Im in for the long haul, God willing.
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Bighank
                          Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                          by Bighank
                          Idaho has nice. I tell everyone that God built mice better than my ability to get rid of them. When someone says "You have mice?" I look them in the eye and say, "yes." I ask them if they see al the hawks and falcons flying around and ever wonder what they feed on. Most are...
                          Yesterday, 11:31 PM
                        • KrisinNC
                          Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                          by KrisinNC
                          This facility doesn't have a lot of landscape-weed-whacking and picking up trash, no lawn etc. So maintenance handles it. Last facility we had a landscaping company and they mowed, cleaned up leaves, branches and even removed snow if needed....
                          Yesterday, 07:06 PM
                        • Beebop
                          Reply to Lawn & Garden Landscaping
                          by Beebop
                          Our maintenance man use to have to trim the bushes until the owner hired a landscaping company to do it....
                          Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                        Working...
                        X