Toxic Co-Worker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toxic Co-Worker

Everyone has worked with a "toxic" person. Perhaps this employee was lazy, took credit for your work or was just a horrible person. Share your story!
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Do you have a while? Cuz I have a novels worth.

Let's see, for starters the women who I originally worked with was a hoarder (she was on the show) so imagine a hoarder managing a storage unit facility. She was also a hall monitor with a narcissistic personality. Then there is the upstairs tenant who is the town gossip. There are no boundaries to that if your wondering. Our commercial tenant who has taken advantage of the fact that the owner is no longer in his right mind, so on top of the 20 years she's smoked in her office, she got a dog who she brings to work with her everyday (Its female and not fixed.... think about that). Then there was the maintenance guy I hired who takes FOREVER to do anything and bitches about how everything we own is terrible and he needs the best equipment. God forbid I try to cut cost by doing anything, I mess everything up and it looks terrible. (It doesn't he just has territorial issues). I tell my significant other, who is the owners son and get a shrug..... But when he quizzed me on who was in what unit and I could recall them all from memory THATS what made him feel bad.

The only saving grace I have is the other office employee I have. She is an Angel and I pray she never leaves!

When everything seems toxic, its easy to think "Is it me?" But then I realize its not me. And I need to take a vacation lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Storagelady898 View Post
      Do you have a while? Cuz I have a novels worth.

Let's see, for starters the women who I originally worked with was a hoarder (she was on the show) so imagine a hoarder managing a storage unit facility. She was also a hall monitor with a narcissistic personality. Then there is the upstairs tenant who is the town gossip. There are no boundaries to that if your wondering. Our commercial tenant who has taken advantage of the fact that the owner is no longer in his right mind, so on top of the 20 years she's smoked in her office, she got a dog who she brings to work with her everyday (Its female and not fixed.... think about that). Then there was the maintenance guy I hired who takes FOREVER to do anything and bitches about how everything we own is terrible and he needs the best equipment. God forbid I try to cut cost by doing anything, I mess everything up and it looks terrible. (It doesn't he just has territorial issues). I tell my significant other, who is the owners son and get a shrug..... But when he quizzed me on who was in what unit and I could recall them all from memory THATS what made him feel bad.

The only saving grace I have is the other office employee I have. She is an Angel and I pray she never leaves!

When everything seems toxic, its easy to think "Is it me?" But then I realize its not me. And I need to take a vacation lol.
      YIKES. A hoarder as a self storage manager? Stuff of nightmares.
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Not exactly a co-worker-but an owner's rep who we had to deal with. Paid lip service to HR issues, including sexual harassment, didn't know ANYTHING about self storage but assured me that there was no such thing as a slow time in business. Refused to give my staff a raise for a stupid reason, even after we had blew past the previous year in income and occupancy.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Last facility the, owner the owner would belittle the relief manager about moving and doing things slowly. She was 78. It was one of a few reasons I left to come to my current facility. At this facility it is myself and the maint man that I had at the last facility. We work great together and I really like the guy. I a a one man show and we ALL know that I never make mistakes but if I come close I chew myself out in the corner. Watching that all happen again on the office security camera is great fun.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

In my previous employment, there was a gal who was in charge of one location and I was in charge of another.
            There was a 3rd location that had fallen away from management and her and I was tasked to go to this 3rd location and gain back control.

The first day there, we were told to arrive at 7 am!
            I had scheduled a Labor Ready team to cut locks and clean.
            I was there on time.
            The other gal, she rolled up at around 10 am, walked in the office and proceeded to ask me if I could Google the nearest nail salons as she had broken a nail that morning.
            I told her that I was not her personal secretary and that I would not Google anything for her!

She was quite a toxic employee.
            Entitled to be more specific.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Ahhhhhh, the entitled. Gotta love 'em because they are the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to ridiculous behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
                Everyone has worked with a "toxic" person. Perhaps this employee was lazy, took credit for your work or was just a horrible person. Share your story!
                At a previous job I was the assistant manager for a luxury apartment complex. ( I also managed a tax credit property later but that's a whole other topic.) The manager at the luxury apartments had me do everything: all the rent raise notices, balance the days, weeks and month ends accounts. Submit all invoices to the accounting department,do payroll,shop for maintenance supplies ( even though we had a maintenance manager) assist housekeeping in cleaning units when she was behind schedule, give my coworkers their annual reviews with a whole whopping .25 cents raise. I had to handle all the tenant issues from complaints about neighbors to maintenance issues and collections. I had to post notices to all 205 apartments doors ( 3 flight of stairs) to let them know when we would be doing things like painting or pressure washing or inspections. This is just a small snap shot of what I did there and almost DAILY I would go into her office to find her knitting and watching Netflix. Or talking on the phone with her husband arguing about their dog or their kid. Several times I had to take potential renters out into the clubhouse to talk to them about a rental because of heated personal conversations she was having through her closed office door we could hear in the main office.She would frequently have friends who smelled like pot hang out in the office for an hour or two at a time. The only time she ever showed up for work was when the bigwigs were coming to town. Then she was all professional all the time and actually did her own work for a few days, and took credit for all of mine.After 2 years of this embarrassing and unprofessional behavior from her I decided it was time to move on, and when I left the whole housekeeping and maintenance dept would call me to complain about how nothing was getting done. I heard recently she was fired for stealing from the petty cash fund. Then She had the nerve to call ME and ask if the company I work for is hiring. That was a big fat NOPE.
                You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

At a previous job I was the assistant manager for a luxury apartment complex. ( I also managed a tax credit property later but that's a whole other topic.) The manager at the luxury apartments had me do everything: all the rent raise notices, balance the days, weeks and month ends accounts. Submit all invoices to the accounting department,do payroll,shop for maintenance supplies ( even though we had a maintenance manager) assist housekeeping in cleaning units when she was behind schedule, give my coworkers their annual reviews with a whole whopping .25 cents raise. I had to handle all the tenant issues from complaints about neighbors to maintenance issues and collections. I had to post notices to all 205 apartments doors ( 3 flight of stairs) to let them know when we would be doing things like painting or pressure washing or inspections. This is just a small snap shot of what I did there and almost DAILY I would go into her office to find her knitting and watching Netflix. Or talking on the phone with her husband arguing about their dog or their kid. Several times I had to take potential renters out into the clubhouse to talk to them about a rental because of heated personal conversations she was having through her closed office door we could hear in the main office.She would frequently have friends who smelled like pot hang out in the office for an hour or two at a time. The only time she ever showed up for work was when the bigwigs were coming to town. Then she was all professional all the time and actually did her own work for a few days, and took credit for all of mine.After 2 years of this embarrassing and unprofessional behavior from her I decided it was time to move on, and when I left the whole housekeeping and maintenance dept would call me to complain about how nothing was getting done. I heard recently she was fired for stealing from the petty cash fund. Then She had the nerve to call ME and ask if the company I work for is hiring. That was a big fat NOPE.
                  Should have told her that your company had already hired their quota of "entitled losers" for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

When I left my job in SD I wrote a letter (it was requested by the management company) about the reasons why I left and why I wouldn't stay and work for the SOB the owner placed in charge. After I left they had ~7~ different managers, and occupancy tanked. My former employees were let go as well (I'd get texts re the latest manager failure) . Welp-not my circus and not my monkeys.

WA State

Comment

Once upon a time I worked with a fella and here are 4 things he asked me to do regularly:
                      1. Read aloud and respond to his emails while he dictated
                      2. Fetch more coffee / soda for him
                      3. File paperwork that he had made a mess of
                      4. Clean the restrooms after he had used them.
                      This person was supposed to be 'training me'; needless to say after the second month of this I was done. Finally took it up with the big boss man, found out I was this guys 'equal' and didn't need to take orders from him.

After trying to explain this to him he reported me for 'harrassment' and then I was put on probation. Needless to say, I no longer work there but it was an experience I will never forget.

Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, no matter what their job title or duties.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                        Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                        by Storman
                        feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                        Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                      • Merman
                        by Merman
                        I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                        Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                      • IceBox
                        by IceBox
                        Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                        Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                      Working...
                      X