Asking for a Raise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for a Raise

Have you ever asked for a raise? How did you present your case? What was the outcome? What advice can you offer others?
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

I have asked and received a raise 2 different times here. I always have my numbers to back it up. Both vacancy % and total dollars made. I will do a 6th year increase at the end of this year. My next raise will come early next year.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I did a couple years ago. I had been transferred to a property twice the size of the previous and twice the headaches! I had been told I'd get a raise with the change, but 6 months in it still hadn't happened. I sent an email to the owner reminding him. First he told me that my bigger bonuses should have satisfied me. Then I got a raise, but so did everyone else. So mine no longer felt like a raise, but more like an across the board cost of living increase! But it was a raise, which was nice.
      MamaDuke

Comment

Bugs the hell out of me when an owner promises a raise to someone and then doesn't deliver. They expect you to honor your work agreement but then they shine you on for the promised raise. The bonuses were discussed at the same time as a promised, I assume, and were not supposed to be an "instead of" raise thing.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I have been with my company for 2 years and have received 3 raises (one of them was for a promotion to manager position). My bosses really value us here and they SHOW it. I just ask them to evaluate my work and how I'm doing in order to consider it. This last one I got, she had already submitted it before I could even ask for it! This is the reason I will always say I love my job and who I work for!

Comment

The end of this month marks 2 years I have been with this company. I have not asked for a raise for a few reasons.#1: They pay very well- higher than most storage facilities in our area, and #2: As hard as we have worked- and I can vouch for my assistant and our maintenance guy-our numbers are not better than previous years. So I'm a little hesitant to ask for a raise if the only reason is because I haven't had one in 2 years. Honestly, I would love one- who wouldn't? For now, I am happy with what I have - so I wont ask for one anytime soon. I should mention I also receive monthly bonuses for things like low delinquency, Skilcheck calls, and income over last year. I feel it is more than fair. Some would say I don't value myself enough to ask, but that isn't true. I'm just a realist, and I know the numbers don't justify a large raise. I have been a district manager and denied raise requests for the same reason. However- Based on things like:attendance, work ethic, teamwork, how great the facility looks, consistently getting high marks on our secret shopper calls and the amount of effort we put into our facility,marketing and local community, I think a smaller raise amount is past due.
            Last edited by wc1974; 15th October 2019, 03:01 PM.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I have been lucky enough to not have to ask for one. After my first 6 months I got an evaluation and a raise, because I transitioned from being with a hiring agency to working directly for the company. I agree with what AngelaESSTX and wc1974 mentioned.

I am happy where I am, and feel like I should be getting another raise when I hit the one year mark with the company. I hope. That'll be 18 months total with them, 6 with the hiring agency, so we shall see how it plays out. *fingers crossed

Comment

wc1974 Does your employer do yearly evaluations?

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
                  wc1974 Does your employer do yearly evaluations?
                  We get quarterly unannounced visits from the home office, usually someone in HR or an Operations manger who will stop in to do a quick audit, ask how we are doing, any issues? They go over our numbers with us, let us know of any upcoming changes.That sort of thing. We chat for a bit then they go on their way. I've never had an official yearly evaluation though.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

One of these days I'll be able to get into this conversation...

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

We get quarterly unannounced visits from the home office, usually someone in HR or an Operations manger who will stop in to do a quick audit, ask how we are doing, any issues? They go over our numbers with us, let us know of any upcoming changes.That sort of thing. We chat for a bit then they go on their way. I've never had an official yearly evaluation though.
                      Worth a shot to ask. That may help in the convo leading to potentially asking for a raise when you deem the time right? It also helps me to know if there is anywhere I need to step it up or for my boss to brag on me lol....which I don't hate

Comment

Maybe a better question is what do you do if you don't get the raise?

Comment

Grizz I think your question would go hand in hand with the evaluation. That way if I don't get the raise, I will know why and do better. If it is something that is beyond my control and it will foreshadow the fact I may not receive one anytime soon and I KNOW I am doing my job well and I'm worth it...it would be time to look for employment elsewhere. This is what happened when I was a manager for Walmart. For your yearly evals, the raise range was UP TO .10...Yes, 10 cents was the max. So most people walked out with an increase of 3 cents to their pay. My dissatisfaction with Walmart as an employer is a whooole nother story, but my point was, I would more than likely walk away. I do not expect a whole dollar + raise every time I ask, but don't insult me...I know what I bring to the table.

Comment

AngelaESSTX, I once had an owner of a storage facility that expected me to be on call 24/7.( My cell number was actually on the website for customer complaints!) I attended fundraising events on my days off where we were sponsors and I had to set up a booth to hand out glam bags of storage swag ( free calendars, cups, candy, flyers, letter openers, pens, etc...)He expected me to go to mandatory lunches where he wanted me to integrate new promotions every other week! (He did not pay for my lunch either!) He only paid me $2 more than minimum wage and called it a "salaried position".After the first year of this treatment and my first "raise"- a whole whopping .25 cents, I was determined to find other employment. He was lucky that I could not find anything for another 2 years or I would have been long gone. He abused our employer/employee relationship. Had the GALL to tell me when he gave me that quarter raise "Now dont go spending that money will-nilly, you got kids to put through college!" I wanted to smack the stupid grin right off his face for being so pompous. Some employers really do take advantage.

Comment

wc1974 WOOOWW! That is absolutely an abuse of "power". That's awful! I'm glad you were able to get out of there! I don't think I would've lasted that long, my mouth tends to overload my a$$ sometimes and I just don't have the patience for stupid. How demeaning grrr

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X