Minimum Wage Increases in Several States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum Wage Increases in Several States

This week, minimum wage increased in 21 states. Yet the federal minimum wage is still stuck at $7.25 an hour. Good grief!
    Amy Campbell
    Editor
    Inside Self-Storage
    [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Our minimum wage here is $7.25, but no one really makes that amount. Starting wages in my area are between 10.50 and 12.00 per hour.

Really goes to show that raising the minimum wage isn't necessary to increase low end wages. What are the starting wages in other areas of the country?

Comment

Minimum wage increases have been taking place in this state in certain cities and it has caused loss of full time jobs that went part time and some businesses closed down all together. Most of those are restaurants. Minimum wage jobs are designed as a path to learn to work and responsibilities and prepare for work in more highly paying jobs. Too many people actually don't want to work but if they do they want a living wage for menial tasks that were not designed for that. The homeless populations are filled with people that do not want to work but also, unfortunately there are also the mentally ill in there too. When did the homeless populations increase so quickly? When the entitlement era started in earnest. You reap what you sew. Lots of people don't work because that would cut in to their social media time.

Any food I buy out is more expensive now and that costs those people tips. There is no unlimited money tree to pull from. I will be gone when the lid blows off of all of this, hopefully. Get ready.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
        What are the starting wages in other areas of the country?
        Here in CA, minimum wage is now $12, and that is generally the starting wage for hourly jobs. And that is absolutely not a wage anyone could live on. We are scheduled to increase each year up to $15 in 2023! Of course, those making more than minimum wage won't increase equally!!!
        MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

Here in CA, minimum wage is now $12, and that is generally the starting wage for hourly jobs. And that is absolutely not a wage anyone could live on. We are scheduled to increase each year up to $15 in 2023! Of course, those making more than minimum wage won't increase equally!!!
          Big difference there is standard of living. Here if a husband and wife each make $12 per hour they will live a very comfortable middle class life style.

Comment

We will be doing a cross country PCH motorcycle ride soon. I would like to know the states that have such a high minimum wage for restaurant servers. Why should I tip them 20% if they are making 15 per hour?
            A few years back On another bike trip we were in San Francisco and the bill had a Health care tax on it. I asked the waiter and he said we are paying toward their health care. I told him No I won't and will be deducting it from the tip. I used to pay for my health care until the last guy in office promised I could keep my plan.
            What a liar! Our $750 per month before the Unafordable care act with a $1250 per year deductible went up to $1500 per month with Get this a $15,000 a year deductible within a few years.
            Being self employed we can not get any type of group insurance.
            All I care to buy and can't is a catastrophic plan. I would then just pay to go to the Dr. like the old days before insurance covered that.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Dak I have a 1 person group plan with blue cross and blue shield. I have a catastrophic plan with a deductible of $6700. It costs me about $315 per month.

This was a much better option for me than healthcare.gov.

I get my company benefits through https://northriskpartners.com/ they don't offer services in your area, but maybe they have someone they can recommend you to in your area.

Comment

Many people don't seem to understand that you're not supposed to raise a family, buy a house or get a new car with a minimum wage job. It used to be that you would live with roommates and work toward a better job, then start a family, etc. once you have established yourself. Instead of working towards a better job, the new norm is to demand higher wages for entry level work. It doesn't work that way. I watch Dave Ramsey's podcast a lot. I love his rants and his preaching of common sense (which isn't so common anymore).
                A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                  We will be doing a cross country PCH motorcycle ride soon. I would like to know the states that have such a high minimum wage for restaurant servers. Why should I tip them 20% if they are making 15 per hour?
                  A few years back On another bike trip we were in San Francisco and the bill had a Health care tax on it. I asked the waiter and he said we are paying toward their health care. I told him No I won't and will be deducting it from the tip. I used to pay for my health care until the last guy in office promised I could keep my plan.
                  What a liar! Our $750 per month before the Unafordable care act with a $1250 per year deductible went up to $1500 per month with Get this a $15,000 a year deductible within a few years.
                  Being self employed we can not get any type of group insurance.
                  All I care to buy and can't is a catastrophic plan. I would then just pay to go to the Dr. like the old days before insurance covered that.
                  Like Merman, I have listened to Dave Ramsey talk about the minimum wage people wanting someone to take care of them and they need a living wage and that is all because they don't want to work harder for more money. That would cut in to their medical marijuana break time. "Responsibility is a heavy responsibility, man". like Cheech Marin said.

Don't get me started on the "Liar" in Chief. Around here there are plenty of "free spirit" "artistic" types that want the minimum wage to be a living wage and then still expect a tip. Not a chance. If they want a living wage close to $15 an hour, well there is no tip for you sweetheart.

Comment

Now see I was always living and supporting myself on a single Job, with occasional assistance from side ventures. (I sell things I knit) I also do not have a college education. I know I got lucky in that I managed to find jobs that paid well for me that weren't also entry level pay. Unfortunately not everyone can be as lucky as I am or can't have roommates for a variety of reasons, so I can see where this is coming from. The federal Minimum wage is laughable though.

Comment

I have no problem with anyone that works a minimum wage job till they just decide to be lazy and then never want to try and better themselves and then just start crying foul and they need to be paid more. Yes, the minimum wage should be higher, state or federal. $15 is way too much though. $10 max with bonus attached if they work toward that or count tips on top of that. If you want more go look for more. Do better, work harder, work 2 jobs if you have to but don't expect me to support if you choose the lazy route. Most of the time, IMO, the reason they don't want to look for the higher paying harder working jobs is that they can't pass a piss test and don't want to give up their "medical marijuana" or legal use marijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post
                        Now see I was always living and supporting myself on a single Job, with occasional assistance from side ventures. (I sell things I knit) I also do not have a college education. I know I got lucky in that I managed to find jobs that paid well for me that weren't also entry level pay. Unfortunately not everyone can be as lucky as I am or can't have roommates for a variety of reasons, so I can see where this is coming from. The federal Minimum wage is laughable though.
                        I don't think a federal minimum wage is very effective. Standard of living varies from state to state and even city to city. I don't think having one number country wide will ever work.

I don't think your level of education or your luck have anything to do with finding good paying jobs. It has to do with your work ethic, and the value you provide your employer.

Comment

I don't think a federal minimum wage is very effective. Standard of living varies from state to state and even city to city. I don't think having one number country wide will ever work.

I don't think your level of education or your luck have anything to do with finding good paying jobs. It has to do with your work ethic, and the value you provide your employer.
                          Exactly. Go make something of yourself instead of being the "Oh woe is me" person. There are plenty of jobs out there and not enough people to fill them. Hell, a plumber makes more than the law student freshly graduated from college. I made more running auto repair shops and so did my techs. When people stop saying "everyone HAS to go to college to make good money" then the person can move on with their life and do something with it. A degree in "basket weaving" gets you zip, nada, zero..............

Comment

I have always been of the opinion that minimum wage should be based off the county or even city basis. There's too much variation in the cost of living. I'm sure that would be a lot of work to set up though, so I can't see it happening.

I have also been of the opinion that companies should be forced to pay applicants for the time they spend in interviews. I feel it would cut down on "Fill a number requirement interviews.)

Comment

"I have also been of the opinion that companies should be forced to pay applicants for the time they spend in interviews. I feel it would cut down on "Fill a number requirement interviews.)"

That assumes that the interviewer is already biased and will hire someone else no matter who is qualified. That is a pretty jaded outlook on the system. Sounds like you also have your mind made up ahead of time and you feel an applicant is "entitled" to something for just getting up and showing up, kind of like a participation trophy. That makes absolutely no damn sense at all. HMMOG TWID

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X