Minimum Wage Increases in Several States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post

I have always been of the opinion that minimum wage should be based off the county or even city basis. There's too much variation in the cost of living. I'm sure that would be a lot of work to set up though, so I can't see it happening.

I have also been of the opinion that companies should be forced to pay applicants for the time they spend in interviews. I feel it would cut down on "Fill a number requirement interviews.)
    We already have State level governments in place, we also have county level governments in place that could set those minimum wages. This wouldn't be a proper decision on a city by city basis. Because you could have businesses across the street from each other with differing wage rules.

Your other idea on paying for interviews, I can't get behind that. I like to interview quite a few people before I pick who I will hire.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
      "I have also been of the opinion that companies should be forced to pay applicants for the time they spend in interviews. I feel it would cut down on "Fill a number requirement interviews.)"

That assumes that the interviewer is already biased and will hire someone else no matter who is qualified. That is a pretty jaded outlook on the system. Sounds like you also have your mind made up ahead of time and you feel an applicant is "entitled" to something for just getting up and showing up, kind of like a participation trophy. That makes absolutely no damn sense at all. HMMOG TWID
      Interviewers ARE biased. The instant you look at a resume you form an opinion of the person it describes. And don't get me started on the corporate practice of discarding half of the resume's because that's "how it's done, and you need a certain amount of luck in life." Several companies I have worked at have been guilty of both of these. One in particular required you to do a minimum of three applicant interviews. What happens is that the person who they wanted for the job sat and shot the breeze while the interviewer(s) entered good responses to the questions. The other two applicants were asked questions that had no win answers, making them look bad on paper to higher ups. I went through twenty such interviews before I was finally able to step up at that company. (I also ended up firing that hiring manager for arson, but that's a whole other story.) It is unfortunately a common practice.

As regarding paying applicants, I should have pointed out that I did not mean paying them for a day of work, I meant for the hour of their time. An applicant should absolutely be treated as if they are an employee. This is a company's chance to show the applicant what they are like to work for, and that they're really as good in person as they look on paper. A serious applicant looking to switch to a different job will generally need to take the day off to attend an interview, which means losing a day of pay, and in some cases risking termination for missing work. If you are already out of a job, then you are working on a finite amount of money. I remember being to point where I had to borrow money for gasoline and food after being laid off from one of my jobs, which was not a pleasant feeling. Paying someone for an hour of state minimum wage, means they can put gas in the tank, or eat that night. Yes there will be some people who are trying to game the system, but that does not reflect the vast majority of applicants out there.

Comment

Interviewers ARE biased. The instant you look at a resume you form an opinion of the person it describes. And don't get me started on the corporate practice of discarding half of the resume's because that's "how it's done, and you need a certain amount of luck in life." Several companies I have worked at have been guilty of both of these. One in particular required you to do a minimum of three applicant interviews. What happens is that the person who they wanted for the job sat and shot the breeze while the interviewer(s) entered good responses to the questions. The other two applicants were asked questions that had no win answers, making them look bad on paper to higher ups. I went through twenty such interviews before I was finally able to step up at that company. (I also ended up firing that hiring manager for arson, but that's a whole other story.) It is unfortunately a common practice.

As regarding paying applicants, I should have pointed out that I did not mean paying them for a day of work, I meant for the hour of their time. An applicant should absolutely be treated as if they are an employee. This is a company's chance to show the applicant what they are like to work for, and that they're really as good in person as they look on paper. A serious applicant looking to switch to a different job will generally need to take the day off to attend an interview, which means losing a day of pay, and in some cases risking termination for missing work. If you are already out of a job, then you are working on a finite amount of money. I remember being to point where I had to borrow money for gasoline and food after being laid off from one of my jobs, which was not a pleasant feeling. Paying someone for an hour of state minimum wage, means they can put gas in the tank, or eat that night. Yes there will be some people who are trying to game the system, but that does not reflect the vast majority of applicants out there.
        I guess I can count my luck too then that I have never had to experience the type of corporate culture you are talking about. I also understand that there could be instances where there are favored candidates for a job. You will never get away from that in the corporate world. Only way to change that is to change the type of company you choose to work for.

I will also tell you as someone who interviews people that I do look at and review resumes before I ask people to come in for an interview. If someone has a poorly done resume I am likely to not ask them to come in for a interview. But I will also not be paying people to interview to work for me either. I will review resumes and ask only a few possible candidates to interview. I am not going to waste someone's time interviewing them if they have no shot at the job.

Comment

" Yes there will be some people who are trying to game the system, but that does not reflect the vast majority of applicants out there."

You are just kidding yourself with this statement. Most will try to game the system. Pull your head out of the sand and see what is going on around you.

Forcing a company to pay at least an hour wages for an interview? That is absurd. Sounds a little like a political party I am aware of. Why stop at the interview. Pay them for even thinking about getting a job. Pay them for building a resume. Pay them for calls inquiring about jobs. Pay them for their internet service for building and sending the resume. Pay for their ink and toner. It never ends.

Life is not fair. Get over it and press ahead. Run for office if you think things need to change. This is quite comical.
          Last edited by pacnwstorage; 5th January 2020, 02:40 PM.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

WOW!!!! Maybe you should start your own business and advertise you are paying for applicants to come in and interview. Maybe then you re-think your position and consider charging them for the privilege of being interviewed

- What if they come in and are not dressed to your standards, will you ask them to leave and not pay the full hour?
            - What if they smell of drugs, alcohol and or body odor, will you pay them for the full hour?
            - What if they answer the first question the wrong way and you ask them to leave, will you pay them for the full hour?
            - What if they wait two hours for their turn at an interview, will you pay them for that time?

I could go on but I wont.

I believe there should not be a minimum wage. If an employer want the best talent they will pay accordingly. If someone wants more money they will educate themselves and or move on to other ventures.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

WOW!!!! Maybe you should start your own business and advertise you are paying for applicants to come in and interview. Maybe then you re-think your position and consider charging them for the privilege of being interviewed

- What if they come in and are not dressed to your standards, will you ask them to leave and not pay the full hour?
              - What if they smell of drugs, alcohol and or body odor, will you pay them for the full hour?
              - What if they answer the first question the wrong way and you ask them to leave, will you pay them for the full hour?
              - What if they wait two hours for their turn at an interview, will you pay them for that time?

I could go on but I wont.

I believe there should not be a minimum wage. If an employer want the best talent they will pay accordingly. If someone wants more money they will educate themselves and or move on to other ventures.
              Yep!

Comment

Originally posted by RandyL View Post
                Dak I have a 1 person group plan with blue cross and blue shield. I have a catastrophic plan with a deductible of $6700. It costs me about $315 per month.

This was a much better option for me than healthcare.gov.

I get my company benefits through https://northriskpartners.com/ they don't offer services in your area, but maybe they have someone they can recommend you to in your area.
                Where We live we have 1 ONE company and three choices from that one company. Gold, Silver or Bronze. I am not at the Olympian. The bronze was the cheapest at $1500 per month for the 2 of us. What gets me is I can no longer buy a family plan either. So our plans are $750 per month each with a $7500 deductible on paper. That is until they say that is a family deductible. What! They told me I can't have a family plan. So we have to reach the 15,000 if only one of us get sick.

I stopped talking with any other Health Ins. company that can give me a better rate,as every other company I can buy from can legally only sell me a short term plan that I have to renew for say 6 months at a time. If I do get sick they will pay for that and then cancel me. I just want the free market to help lower prices. The same as the free market will decide on the minimum it will pay employees.
                I just saw that the local [email protected] stores can't find employees and are now offering $15.00 per hour to start.

Don't tell me the free market is not fair. It knows way better than anyone in State of Federal Government.
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post

Where We live we have 1 ONE company and three choices from that one company. Gold, Silver or Bronze. I am not at the Olympian. The bronze was the cheapest at $1500 per month for the 2 of us. What gets me is I can no longer buy a family plan either. So our plans are $750 per month each with a $7500 deductible on paper. That is until they say that is a family deductible. What! They told me I can't have a family plan. So we have to reach the 15,000 if only one of us get sick.

I stopped talking with any other Health Ins. company that can give me a better rate,as every other company I can buy from can legally only sell me a short term plan that I have to renew for say 6 months at a time. If I do get sick they will pay for that and then cancel me. I just want the free market to help lower prices. The same as the free market will decide on the minimum it will pay employees.
                  I just saw that the local [email protected] stores can't find employees and are now offering $15.00 per hour to start.

Don't tell me the free market is not fair. It knows way better than anyone in State of Federal Government.
                  Dak I am just curious if you are specifically talking about the healthcare.gov web site? Or do you have one company as an option through the totality of all the avenues out there?

I looked at healthcare.gov for myself as well. And the options were very limited and very expensive. But those were not the only plans that were options for me.

I also agree with your last statement about the free market determining the starting wages, that is very evident here because our starting wages are about $3-4 over minimum.

Comment

Randy,

I refused to go on the Government website.
                    I am sure you get the health care calls as I do and every one of them can only offer the short term ins.
                    My Daughter sells group health Ins and being self employed with no employees we are out of luck. We checked into hiring our other daughter and with all the payroll taxes it made it out of the question.
                    Joe Krezdorn
                    DAK Self Storage
                    Leesport, PA 19533
                    www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by dakselfstorage View Post
                      Randy,

I refused to go on the Government website.
                      I am sure you get the health care calls as I do and every one of them can only offer the short term ins.
                      My Daughter sells group health Ins and being self employed with no employees we are out of luck. We checked into hiring our other daughter and with all the payroll taxes it made it out of the question.
                      All the more reason to allow sales across state lines. I have a ton of options for my group plans here in Iowa.

Comment

Published this news item this morning. Contains more info on the new federal overtime rules.
                        Amy Campbell
                        Editor
                        Inside Self-Storage
                        [email protected]

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

I wonder about the wisdom of an owner trusting the stewardship of a multi million dollar asset to a minimum wage worker. With the right incentives, a manager should make well above this, and aspire to make more by making sure the owner makes more...good for goose and gander. SO owners, decide what your asset is worth, and if you pay the minimum, you should get mostly what you expect...the minimum. If you want to attract a better player on the team, then step up the compensation by providing incentives based on realistic achievements....and good luck recruiting top talent with bottom pay.
                          Staff: EARN More! Set a plan with your owner to increase NOI, and then see how it may be possible to share in the fruits of your labor. There are some situations that can't be fixed...often happens when owners have facilities (stores) that are too small, and cant get out of the way of expenses. This is unfortunate ,but may be the reality of the situation. If you signed up for the small store job, then as a savvy and educated team player, then you should be happy with the results, knowing the reality of the economics.
                          Remember, it may be great to be a Chief, but it's a little difficult to fight the battle all by your lonesome self...we need a few Indians in the tribe. The Military has many more Privates than Generals.
                          I am thankful there are many folks who are willing to do a great job for minimum wage. If everyone were paid at the highest level, we couldn't afford a $62 Big Mac.
                          Just sayin.....
                          RK
                          RK Kliebenstein
                          Vice President of Business Development
                          Metro Storage LLC
                          847 387-2943
                          [email protected]
                          E: [email protected]
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by selfstorage View Post
                            I wonder about the wisdom of an owner trusting the stewardship of a multi million dollar asset to a minimum wage worker. With the right incentives, a manager should make well above this, and aspire to make more by making sure the owner makes more...good for goose and gander. SO owners, decide what your asset is worth, and if you pay the minimum, you should get mostly what you expect...the minimum. If you want to attract a better player on the team, then step up the compensation by providing incentives based on realistic achievements....and good luck recruiting top talent with bottom pay.
                            Staff: EARN More! Set a plan with your owner to increase NOI, and then see how it may be possible to share in the fruits of your labor. There are some situations that can't be fixed...often happens when owners have facilities (stores) that are too small, and cant get out of the way of expenses. This is unfortunate ,but may be the reality of the situation. If you signed up for the small store job, then as a savvy and educated team player, then you should be happy with the results, knowing the reality of the economics.
                            Remember, it may be great to be a Chief, but it's a little difficult to fight the battle all by your lonesome self...we need a few Indians in the tribe. The Military has many more Privates than Generals.
                            I am thankful there are many folks who are willing to do a great job for minimum wage. If everyone were paid at the highest level, we couldn't afford a $62 Big Mac.
                            Just sayin.....
                            RK
                            I agree with you completely if a storage business is paying someone $7.25 to manage a facility they are way underpaying. They are also not very likely to have a very well run operation. I'd say if they are paying $10 per hour they are under paying as well. Then of course it really depends on the job market that you are in.

Is there anyone here that actually makes minimum wage?

Comment

IMO, if you have a manager/employee that settles and is happy with minimum wage then you have a cash theft waiting to happen, someone who doesn't give a damn about answering the phone, will be full of excuses for any facility problems and will also be gone as quick as you leaped to hire them. At least at McDonalds they likely get a free meal.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                                IMO, if you have a manager/employee that settles and is happy with minimum wage then you have a cash theft waiting to happen, someone who doesn't give a damn about answering the phone, will be full of excuses for any facility problems and will also be gone as quick as you leaped to hire them. At least at McDonalds they likely get a free meal.
                                It wouldn't be hard to find someone willing to settle for min wage plus living quarters and that's where things get complicated.

Although doing a detailed background check, credit check and maybe even drug test you will weed out the less than desirables, most of the time....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                                  Reply to Customer Objections
                                  by KrisinNC
                                  They're not quite ready but wanted to stop by and see what we have. Or they're waiting for help but wanted to see sizes. If they mention price I tell them that we are very competitive with facilities around the area because we set our prices to be close to them and vice versa....
                                  Today, 07:34 PM
                                • KrisinNC
                                  An idea that you may use, and an end to my cremains saga.
                                  by KrisinNC
                                  Last July? August? I can't even remember anymore, we had an auction and one of the winners found a carton of ashes. So, I've contacted the owner of said remains over and over and over, for the past few months. I finally got her sister involved because I was getting, "I'll pick it up on Sunday,"...
                                  Today, 07:30 PM
                                • AjmCorona
                                  Reply to Customer Objections
                                  by AjmCorona
                                  Either the price isn't right or they need to wait for someone to help them move....
                                  Today, 07:29 PM
                                Working...
                                X