Minimum Wage Increases in Several States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amy_ISS View Post
    Published this news item this morning. Contains more info on the new federal overtime rules.
    Ah if only everyone actually adhered to the laws. The number of folks who are declared ineligible for OT by a decree by ownership is staggering. Its an embarrassment and a shame. And then people wonder why it's hard to find good employees. It all starts with fairness, honesty and following of the laws by all.
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesStorage View Post
      As regarding paying applicants, I should have pointed out that I did not mean paying them for a day of work, I meant for the hour of their time. An applicant should absolutely be treated as if they are an employee. This is a company's chance to show the applicant what they are like to work for, and that they're really as good in person as they look on paper. A serious applicant looking to switch to a different job will generally need to take the day off to attend an interview, which means losing a day of pay, and in some cases risking termination for missing work. If you are already out of a job, then you are working on a finite amount of money. I remember being to point where I had to borrow money for gasoline and food after being laid off from one of my jobs, which was not a pleasant feeling. Paying someone for an hour of state minimum wage, means they can put gas in the tank, or eat that night. Yes there will be some people who are trying to game the system, but that does not reflect the vast majority of applicants out there.
      I hear what you're saying. Especially in corporate situations it's up to the company to woo the potential employee. My Dad was in such a position and was woo'd away to bigger and better paying positions during his life and they would wine and dine him to the nth degree to get his skills to their company. Id' tell you what he did but then I'd have to kill you. He was commonly referred to as a Research Scientist. But he didn't need a paycheck for those interviews.

I know I spent 16 hours interviewing for a single corporate job, and a couple more places I spent a day with multiple department managers at the company I'd be interfacing with if hired. An interview pay check would have been great at that time as I was struggling. Interviews are a crap shoot and you hope your dice hit the right number. Ya never know, sometimes I've landed great positions but other times I've wanted to beat my head on the table and I do remember asking my Dad for $3 for gas for a fill-up. Interesting and thought provoking comment though JamesStorage.

Gina 6k
      twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
      VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
      [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
      I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post

Ah if only everyone actually adhered to the laws. The number of folks who are declared ineligible for OT by a decree by ownership is staggering. Its an embarrassment and a shame. And then people wonder why it's hard to find good employees. It all starts with fairness, honesty and following of the laws by all.
        Screw the laws, if they don't treat me right I find employment elsewhere or start my own business. I've done if a few times and will more than likely do it again.

On the flip side I've paid my employees much better than min wage, treated them like gold because I hated interviewing and re-hiring but they still decided that their phone was more important than my business or their job. Hopefully with the economy turning around and its more difficult to get and stay on public assistance, the employee pool will have higher quality people to choose from.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
          but they still decided that their phone was more important than my business or their job.

I could not handle being a boss now. I have caught employees doing weird stuff on my dime. One guy was supposed to be painting baseboard, Was he NOPE doing push ups. WTH.
          I think I would demand the phone stay in their car until break time. But I guess now with the Pussification of America Someone would report me to the labor board.
          Joe Krezdorn
          DAK Self Storage
          Leesport, PA 19533
          www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Just hand out participation trophies and get rid of them all.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X