Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you look for when hiring a Facility Manager?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for when hiring a Facility Manager?

If you are in the position to hire a facility manager or an assistant for your property, what are the most important traits you look for? Would it be experience? Education? Awards? Or maybe simpler things like correct grammar and spelling.

I am presenting in Florida on this topic and I am interested in your tips! TIA!
    Stephanie Tharpe
    President
    A+ Management Group, LP
    Nashville, TN
    www.aplusmanagementgroup.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Retail experience or prior self storage experience. People person. Can use a computer, and follow directions for company needed reports. (follow directions is a huge thing-I put a specific request in the ad, "Please attach resume to your email application." You'd not be surprised of how many people don't-though I once had a guy who didn't have a computer, submit a handwritten one that we gave serious consideration to)
    Last edited by KrisinWA; 3rd February 2020, 06:44 PM.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

From the start with any resumes/correspondence i'm looking at attention to detail so any typos on a resume to me are a red flag that the person can't pay attention to what they're doing if something such as a resume has problems. I look for career longevity, I understand things happen and people may change jobs a few times but job hopping every few months tells me there's something wrong. If they have a long list of storage companies as prior experience *especially if it's bigger named ones* i'm thinking something is up if they can't hold it for more than a year or so at a known company. If they don't have storage experience I look for customer service/sales experience. People who work in restaurant industry have typically been good employees in my experience as they can handle fast paced environments with multiple types of customers.

That's a small bit of what I consider when looking.

Comment

I look for career advancement on resumes, if the person changes jobs every 6-12 months I just don't even consider the resume. I want to see someone that has done a job, and then advanced at that job. Retail or storage experience are not needed. Computer skills are a must. Everything else can be trained

Comment

You guys rock!! Thank you so much for your feedback. KrisinWA not following directions is a huge first test that I implement always! And Orkocean grammar and spelling are big! RandyL computer skills, absolutely a must.

Thanks again!
          Stephanie Tharpe
          President
          A+ Management Group, LP
          Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net

Comment

Ooooo Maybe I'll get to meet you - I'll be at the FSSA conference!

A company took a chance on me 15 years ago as I had not had managed or worked in self storage before. I was told to be at a location at a specific day and time and I was there early, relaxed and ready to ask and answer questions. I have exceptional typing skills and I am/was trainable. My history was working for nine years for a temporary agency. You have to be adaptable in that type of work. I was excited to get into a new type of work as I had been an administrative assistant for over 25 years.

When I was looking for a facility manager, I looked at the person's experience (Again not in storage) and there want to learn something new. The person I contacted had been in the newspaper and stated he was looking for a career, not a job and had been unemployed for two years. TWO YEARS!! Now knowing this, I didn't get a point of desperation from him, but I was honest with him as to what the job entails and what was expected of him. You know "Other duties as assigned" He moved up to another state after a couple of years, got a promotion and now is the head of his own department. He still acknowledges that the training I gave him and the honest description of the position got him excited as he knew that there would be days with nothing and days when he would want the world to stop due to all that was involved in that day.

Take a chance on someone who shows the initiative and the interest in learning something new, but has also shown that they can dedicate themselves to something.

Kindness, can't be taught. Compassion can't be taught, and for some people, SALES can not be taught. You have to find someone willing to learn. Computer skills are a must, even if basic as they too can be taught. Counting! Spelling! Memory Skills!

Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Terri View Post
              Ooooo Maybe I'll get to meet you - I'll be at the FSSA conference!

A company took a chance on me 15 years ago as I had not had managed or worked in self storage before. I was told to be at a location at a specific day and time and I was there early, relaxed and ready to ask and answer questions. I have exceptional typing skills and I am/was trainable. My history was working for nine years for a temporary agency. You have to be adaptable in that type of work. I was excited to get into a new type of work as I had been an administrative assistant for over 25 years.

When I was looking for a facility manager, I looked at the person's experience (Again not in storage) and there want to learn something new. The person I contacted had been in the newspaper and stated he was looking for a career, not a job and had been unemployed for two years. TWO YEARS!! Now knowing this, I didn't get a point of desperation from him, but I was honest with him as to what the job entails and what was expected of him. You know "Other duties as assigned" He moved up to another state after a couple of years, got a promotion and now is the head of his own department. He still acknowledges that the training I gave him and the honest description of the position got him excited as he knew that there would be days with nothing and days when he would want the world to stop due to all that was involved in that day.

Take a chance on someone who shows the initiative and the interest in learning something new, but has also shown that they can dedicate themselves to something.

Kindness, can't be taught. Compassion can't be taught, and for some people, SALES can not be taught. You have to find someone willing to learn. Computer skills are a must, even if basic as they too can be taught. Counting! Spelling! Memory Skills!
              Memory skills are something I didn't think I'd use so much in self storage.
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Tall Terri PLEASE find me and say hello!! It will be wonderful to meet you after all of these years talking on here!
                Stephanie Tharpe
                President
                A+ Management Group, LP
                Nashville, TN

TNSSA Board of Directors
                www.tnssa.net

Comment

We are a small facility and I work 5 days a week as the manager and our assistant works 2 or 3 days a week plus any vacation days we take.

For us, being a people person a extremely important. We'd like computer experience however, that can be taught where as customer service usually cannot. You either have it or you don't. Changing jobs every year or more often is a red flag. I wish you could ask a former employer why they were terminated but nowadays you can't. That'd help.

Tall Terri I am going to be at the FSSA conference in a couple of weeks. I am going to send you my cell phone number and I hope we can meet up too! I have Stephanie's number from last time I went and hope to see her too.
                  The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post

Memory skills are something I didn't think I'd use so much in self storage.
                    I use it when I remember what a client told me but it may not be in the notes as it is private information - like they are in the hospital etc. Also memory skills are good to remember names and the unit you just showed someone....it's the little things I think.
                    Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

I agree with what everyone else has mentioned plus I would like to add that you should ask follow-up questions. When they say they have experience with XYZ, ask them to give you examples.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X