No announcement yet.

Finding Awesome Employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MY best employee was a 74 year old. He'd had previous storage experience and could work rings around us young'uns.
    "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
    WA state

Comment

Yea, the older you get the more you appreciate and can "work smarter and not harder".
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Update on the hiring situation. I posted in Indeed. Got about 80 applicants in 3-4 days. Decided to focus on people who had previous self storage experience and found a few people in the self storage industry and found one person who seemed very computer savvy and had all the right answers (and questions). Will be paying her $18/ hr (3 bucks over min wage here) + portion of UHaul commission (which may or may not stick around, I'm not seeing a huge benefit here so far) + potential performance bonus (almost entirely based on speeding up leasing rate and rest is making sure day to day noise doesn't hit my queue which ok from time to time but not to the level it is now). I had talked to a bunch of people when I listed it at min wage and just wasn't getting the right sort of person when I gave it a shot a couple weeks ago. Hopefully this works out.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
          MY best employee was a 74 year old. He'd had previous storage experience and could work rings around us young'uns.
          Yeh after interviewing some people, I quickly realized the easiest path was finding someone who had previous self storage experience

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
            My favorite one showed up asking me to sign a form saying he was looking for work, then he left before the interview started. .
            OMG. I would have called unemployment. I hate when people try to milk the system.
            When we were paint contractors, 2 separate times I had people that I hired and never showed for first day of work.
            The one guy I called on his first day after being late for work. A woman answered and said he was still in bed. I said tell him to get his lazy ass out of bed he is supposed to be at work. He came to the phone and said he changed his mind and did not want the job.

The other outright told me he made more $$$ on unemployment.

Well the stubborn part of me notified The unemployment office. I had to go to a hearing for both. They both had to pay back the money they already made on Unemployment. The one guy was collecting max benefits and had to pay back 3 months.
            I have zero tolerance for lazy cheaters.
            Joe Krezdorn
            DAK Self Storage
            Leesport, PA 19533
            www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I would go so quick to unemployment and snitch them out if I needed to. Again, THE ENTITLED MASSES!
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I'm all new to this biz but one thing I realized is it is a tricky position to fill. It's not a sexy job and generally doesn't pay much but it does require a combo of customer service (we desperately needed someone to ramp our leasing) + accounting mindset (high attention to making sure record and procedures were tight) Generally most people fall in either category not both.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X