Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Employee handbooks and other documents

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Employee handbooks and other documents

    Those of you that work for small owners:

    Has ownership provided an employee handbook? Any other documentation that includes policies, training, ect.?

    Please share. Thanks.

  • #2
    I've created ours on the fly, since I was here when the place was still a dirt lot. I've thrown everything including the kitchen sink into it. Good luck creating yours!
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]



    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hey Wildcat!!

      We had one and year ago I completely revamped it to include cell phone and computer policies. It is pretty good! It also covers safety policies, dress code, vacation, personal time, holiday pay, workers comp, salary / hourly pay, etc etc.
      Stephanie Tharpe
      Owner, President
      A+ Management Group, LLC
      [email protected]
      www.aplusmanagementgroup.com
      615.339.6870

      TNSSA Board of Directors
      www.tnssa.net
      FSSA Board of Directors
      https://www.floridassa.org/

      Comment


      • #4
        I've been reading up on the subject of employee handbooks, and it's got me walking on eggshells. Careful what you say, careful what you don't say, you need to cover this, that, and the other thing, but DON"T cover this, ect.. I'm an engineer, not a lawyer!

        I found a pretty good template I can build on, and edit. Do you have any other documentation that wouldn't be in the handbook? Like everyday stuff you need to do your job, i.e. how to close the day on the management software, ect.? Or do you leave that info up to training? Hell, I'm probably just over examining it.

        I want some good help that I properly train. I prefer not to be a revolving door with employees.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Wildcat93 View Post
          I've been reading up on the subject of employee handbooks, and it's got me walking on eggshells. Careful what you say, careful what you don't say, you need to cover this, that, and the other thing, but DON"T cover this, ect.. I'm an engineer, not a lawyer!

          I found a pretty good template I can build on, and edit. Do you have any other documentation that wouldn't be in the handbook? Like everyday stuff you need to do your job, i.e. how to close the day on the management software, ect.? Or do you leave that info up to training? Hell, I'm probably just over examining it.

          I want some good help that I properly train. I prefer not to be a revolving door with employees.
          We actually have an employee handbook and then we have a separate training manual. Our training manual covers close of day procedures, maintenance check lists, conversions, customer service, collections, Lien Procedures (as per our state laws) etc.

          An employee handbook is to put your policies in place for work performance. If you fire an employee for talking on their cell phone too much, and they file unemployment, and you did not have a policy in place regarding personal cell phone use, then that employee may receive the benefits. (for example) We actually had this happen at our other facility!! That is why we added it! The template for this that you have found will probably work just fine with your tweaking!!

          We came up with our Training Manual as time permitted and as we created procedures.
          Stephanie Tharpe
          Owner, President
          A+ Management Group, LLC
          [email protected]
          www.aplusmanagementgroup.com
          615.339.6870

          TNSSA Board of Directors
          www.tnssa.net
          FSSA Board of Directors
          https://www.floridassa.org/

          Comment


          • #6
            Gina, MusicCity Gal - thanks thats what I was looking for.

            Comment


            • #7
              No - we're so small (I'm the only employee) I don't believe we've ever had the need to have one. It's always been just the one on-site Manager, that's it. Just got a daily operations lay-out of what to do from the prior "Manager", (which now that I've been here a while I've found-out most of it was 'fudged' and/or not really done like it looked like in print! LOL)................

              Comment


              • #8
                Like MCG, we have a "Procedure Manual" that details what items to address to open & close the computer systems, office etc. How to handle onsite accidents and such, how to NOT deal with the media etc. Our employee manual is thankfully still very small. Don't over think it Wildcat, just cover the bare basics and add to it as necessary.

                Most items you spell out in an employee agreement would be part of your employee handbook, so that's a good starting place for the handbook.

                The SSA has an Emergency Preparedness Handbook that's chock full of info, it runs about $100. We have one and it's good to have handy just in case.
                Gina 6k
                twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                [email protected]



                You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Understand It's An Old Post...but...as a person who values structure and policy, I believe that the Employee Training Manual and Handbook are in the top 5 of the most important elements of any business.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    This management company has one. The last company I worked for had an old, outdated one (no tattoos and stuff like that) that I updated for the current century.
                    "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
                    Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
                    Always sunny in California

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      We have written an operations manual and many policies and procedures for our employees. The policies and procedures are helpful as a resource when dealing with unique situations such as the death of a tenant or auction processes.
                      Sean Landry, Owner
                      Expert Storage Management LLC
                      Self Storage Management and Consulting
                      504-251-1260
                      [email protected]
                      www.expertstoragemanagement.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Wildcat93 View Post
                        Those of you that work for small owners:

                        Has ownership provided an employee handbook? Any other documentation that includes policies, training, ect.?

                        Please share. Thanks.
                        YES!
                        We are privately owned.
                        We do have policies and procedures that we must follow and we do have a handbook and specific forms to use.

                        Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hi All,

                          Does anyone have an operations manual they could share or have suggestions of a boiler plate manual one could buy online? My main on site manager and I just have an agreement on how things should be done but if they ever left I'd be in a pickle because I havent written any of these things down. So we really need to memorialize things with a manual.

                          BTW we have a small, urban location facility, 30k sf and we run Storedge.

                          Thanks
                          Last edited by PeterL; 19 January 2023, 12:05 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by PeterL View Post
                            Hi All,

                            Does anyone have an operations manual they could share or have suggestions of a boiler plate manual one could buy online? My main on site manager and I just have an agreement on how things should be done but if they ever left I'd be in a pickle because I havent written any of these things down. So we really need to memorialize things with a manual.

                            BTW we have a small, urban location facility, 30k sf and we run Storedge.

                            Thanks
                            Skilcheck Services offers a manual for sale that you can then customize for your needs. It's very thorough and was written by Carol Krendl, who has been in the industry for over 30 years now, with the assistance of attorneys. http://www.skilcheck.com
                            MamaDuke

                            Comment

                            Latest Topics

                            Collapse

                            • lady5563
                              Reply to Suspicious Theft
                              by lady5563

                              Ha Ha Ha...
                              Today, 01:58 PM
                            • LoisG
                              Reply to Suspicious Theft
                              by LoisG
                              Right?!
                              When he said that, my ears perked up & became immediately suspicious. Then when he asked if we reimbursed him for the losses, I was thinking, "Get the heck outta here!"...
                              Today, 12:48 PM
                            • lady5563
                              Reply to An Average Day
                              by lady5563
                              Wait---so you do have it narrowed down to 2 possible suspects/tenants?

                              Are you going to call them BOTH and ask if they happened to leave something behind on this specific day and time that you know they were there?

                              If I had it narrowed down to 2 people---I KNOW I would be making...
                              Today, 10:44 AM
                            Working...
                            X