Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the CSSM certification really important?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the CSSM certification really important?

The August 2012 Globe Magazine recently published the current active CSSM's as of July 2012. The entire list fit on 2 pages. Here is Arkansas there were only 4 CSSM's in the state (all but 1 within 25 miles of me by the way). How important is becoming a CSSM? I have held national accreditidation in another field where is was very important. Is the biggest advantage of being a CSSM related to employment searches?
    razorback

Re: Is the CSSM certification really important?

I guess you should just consider it like you would any other certification or educational achievement. I personally think the biggest advantage has been the education I have gained from participating in all of the sessions, webinars etc. (I'm Class of 2006 ) Of course it is one of those items on a resume that shows you cared enough to learn as much as you could about our industry. Therefore it may show a lot, or nothing, to a prospective employer. What weight a CSSM designation holds with any one person is anyone's guess.

I noticed at the SSA conference they are now going alphabetical like they did in the Globe. At least on the SSA website the registry still shows the year a person earned their designation, so you can extrapolate that a person has renewed it X number of times (every two years) to keep it current. I'm in the process of renewal number three which will be good through December 2014.
    Gina 6k
    twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
    VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
    [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
    I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

Thanks for your imput Gina. I have worked hard over the last 5 years to learn as much as possible. The CSSM certification would help to show all the work I have put into learning the businesss. I always enjoy your posts and how knowledgeable your replies are! Thanks again.
      razorback

Comment

Thank you for your kind words Razorback. I just try to share what little I sometimes know in hopes that it helps folks find their own solution to their situation. Psst, here's a secret for you. There are NO secrets in this industry. Just some of us pay more attention than others. I hope you complete your CSSM. There is also a program through Inside Self Storage which I plan on taking in my next chunk of spare time. The link can be found here. The designation ISS uses is QSM, and their courses are a total of $395 for the package.
        Gina 6k
        twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
        [email protected]

I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

I think you might want to check with your employer to see what they see is the value of it. I looked into it in 2008, and asked my employer at the time would he see any advantage of having an employee with a CSSM, or would he give preference in hiring to someone with their CSSM certification.....and the answer was no...so I kind of quit thinking about it after then, especially since it was an expense that I would have to bear myself.

In some industries, certification in a field is important or required, and can get your foot in the door for an interview and can also result in additional salary...I'm not so sure if that is true in our industry....so it would depend on your motivation for taking the courses and completing the certification.

Comment

On the flip side though Lisa, is my owner who encourages education and will pay for anything, even college courses that are non-storage related. He is very proud of the fact that at each SSA event he sees my name displayed "on the big screen" and tells me each time he attends a function. For me, I love learning so I'll absorb what I can when I can. At $49 per module and if the company is already an SSA member, there's no harm in paying $49 each quarter out of your own pocket, for your own edification if that's what you want to do. I know a few people who did just that. But I understand not wanting to pay out of your own pocket. It would probably be a bit lower on my priority list also in that instance.
            Gina 6k
            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
            [email protected]

Comment

That's why I said to consider what your motivation is, and also to check with your employer on their perceived value of the CSSM certification.

Gina, don't forget what industry we are in, there are many people working in it who make minimum wage or less, $49 a quarter out of their pocket can be a substantial investment.

I would like to hear from more owners, .... would you give a person with CSSM certification higher priority in hiring? And would you be willing to offer a higher salary for someone with that certification?

If the certification isn't valued by many employers in their consideration of hiring or pay, then I question the perceived value to the employee, particularly in an industry that isn't known for paying much better then the fast food industry or WalMart.

Comment

I've viewed the CSSM as more of a training ground to build and round out storage knowledge. I've never considered it a component for getting a storage job as experience and personality are so key as well and first.

I've taken 3 or 4 modules over the years but it looks like i'm going back for all 4 and the Certification

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your input. I actually forwarded a copy of your opinions to the boss. Luckily, I work for very good owners and we have already discussed me getting the certification. They are very willing to pay the cost if I choose to do the work. I will probably get the CSSM certification to show I have put alot into learning the industry. Now the biggest question is how to find time. I am the only manager in this facility so completing the tests, without interruption, in the time frame given could be an obstacle. Like Lisa T, I would also like to hear from more owners on the subject. Maybe if they were more willing to cover the cost and put more emphasis on the certification we would see more CSSM's across the country.
                  razorback

Comment

Originally posted by razorback View Post
                    I would also like to hear from more owners on the subject. Maybe if they were more willing to cover the cost and put more emphasis on the certification we would see more CSSM's across the country.
                    That's basically what it boils down to....

For many years I was the Purchasing Manager at a large multi-national manufacturing company, there is an organization called the National Assoc of Purchasing Managers...and they had a CPM certification (Certified Purchasing Manager).....I found the same problem with that certification...upper management and hiring personnel in manufacturing didn't value it.

Comment

I should note that if I was looking at resumes and saw someone with the CSSM on it, that would very likely earn them the interview!

Comment

I think you should go for this as this may be helpful for as there are only four, then it will be added benefit for you. Not only CSSM, but I would say any type of certification is good for a person and we should consider if given a chance.

Comment

Does anyone know if they have updated the course material, or improved the tests? I left the industry for a couple of years and let my certification expire. I found the material to be too basic to be useful and the multiple choice exams were fraught with spelling mistakes and filled with confusing double negatives . If they improved it, I would gladly take it again.

Comment

msequin, purportedly they are updating the entire course this year. I read about it somewhere, maybe in one of the renewal emails. That being said, when I renewed in Dec of 2012 what you stated still rang true at that time. Anyone renewing this year that can offer more insight?
                            Gina 6k
                            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                            [email protected]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X