Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Happy holidays! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk. Please be patient with us as the registration make take longer to process during this joyful time of year. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Auctioned off customer wanting to rent again...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We have 3 facilities in the same city and share a folder in Google Drive titled "DO NOT RENT". Our software has an alert that pops up when a former tenant who we wish to not serve in the future gets searched, but often those people will just try one of our other facilities and our software isn't cloud based. So the Drive doc helps with that. We save names, reasons for the DNR, and which facility so we can reference back to old notes if needed. Also save mugshots when applicable (and it's applicable really often!).
    If they were previously auctioned and think they deserve a right to come back, offer them the chance if they pay the remainder of their balance from last rental! That should send the message pretty clearly!
    Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Hell, I would offer to allow them to pay back rent before I would rent again and then not rent to them at all. LOL!
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I've rented to auctioned customers 4 or 5 times before, I always make them pay the balance due on the old unit before I will rent to them. I have had good luck doing so. Got the money on the old unit, and usually in the years that have gone by since the auction, their financial or job situation has improved. So unless they were a problem otherwise......and if you get the back rent that is owed you...

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          Hell, I would offer to allow them to pay back rent before I would rent again and then not rent to them at all. LOL!
          The manager at our other facility did just that! The guy owed around $1200 when his unit was auctioned. Several months later, he called wanting to rent from them again. They said only if you pay what you owe us. He agreed. He showed up the next day with the cash, they processed his payment and handed him a receipt. Then, they said "sorry, we don't have anything available for you". Needless to say, he wasn't very happy, but they got their money.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I cannot tell you how hard I would have been laughing at that. LMFAO!

Comment

She could barely stop laughing long enough to finish the story! Oh to have been a fly on the wall that day. Haha

Comment

I have a friendly network of closer facilities that we all watch each other's backs and we would have all sent warnings to each other of that type of tenant. Any kind of tenant that gives us problems or prospective tenant that sets off our spidey senses gets the warnings sent out.

Comment

There is one of these jokers every time, isn't there. I just hope that for all our sakes that we don't have to face too many of them during our runs as managers of the self storage facility. I should think that every office should have a ban list of people so that we can run their names and family names through the list and make sure that they can't cheat us of our trust and money when they come in and don't pay for units after a while!
                  Christopher James
                  http://supercheapselfstorage.com.au/...orth-brisbane/

Comment

I listen real close to what people say. Lots of times they will give me their full name or say they have rented here before. I pull up history and look at the move out receipt and payment history and also punch in to the local crime sites and look for mug shots.

Comment

I knew there was a thread with this topic on here somewhere. I'm only reviving because it just happened again. What goes through people's minds when they come back to a facility that sold their stuff and want to rent again? I don't get it. I would never, in a million years, show my face at that facility. Are they not embarrassed or do they just not care? I just had a lady in here who looked very familiar but I couldn't place her so I asked if she was currently renting here, thinking she was knew and she rented on a Saturday so I hadn't met her yet. She said no, but she had rented in the past. I asked her name. As soon as she told me, I didn't have to look her up. I knew exactly who she was. I told her due to the fact she had lost her unit at auction, I would not rent to her again. She seemed a little surprised and said "oh, ok" and left. I did write down the tag and model of car she was in just in case the person she was with comes in wanting to rent a unit. She won't get one either.

Comment

I just had a former tenant call and leave a message inquiring about renting with us again. She wasn't auctioned off but she did get put on the list once. We also had issues with her when she rented a spot to store her trailer. Needless to say it left a bad taste in my mouth and I was glad when she finally left. I haven't returned her message and I don't plan on it. She's added to our Do Not Rent list.

In regards to a tenant who was auctioned off, I wouldn't rent to them again either. They would also be added to the DNR list. Call me rude but fool me once shame on you...fool me twice shame on me. I'd rather avoid the latter. BUT I do admit I like the idea of having them pay the balanced owed before renting to them again. I don't know if I'd do the "sorry nothing is available" line after they paid it. But I'd be tempted to do so
                        Last edited by Bella_Lindemann; 12th June 2018, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• pacnwstorage
                          Reply to Joking Around
                          pacnwstorage
                          He Loved Hearing His Own Voice
                          Ronald was sitting at the breakfast table one Sunday morning reading the USA Today entertainment section.

He had just read an article about a beautiful movie star who had announced that she was going to marry a football player, who was famous not only for...
                          Yesterday, 10:52 PM
                        • bentsmom
                          Reply to Thanksgiving Week
                          bentsmom
                          We started a little early and held Customer Appreciations Days at our 3 offices this past Friday and Saturday. For two days we had snacks & refreshments for our customers. Saturday we held a drawing at each office for a gift basket worth $100.00 each. We did not get tons of people but anyone who...
                          Yesterday, 09:49 PM
                        • Steve_hajewski
                          Reply to Need Help! Break Ins through building wall panels!!
                          Steve_hajewski
                          Lock the empty units. While yes, a person could rent a unit and eventually get into the neighboring one, you should at least then have a photo and scan of their ID which should be a pretty good deterrent. Plus, what they said above is good advice.

A person could assemble buildings with...
                          Yesterday, 09:30 PM
                        Working...
                        X