Kinda Creepy Tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kinda Creepy Tenant

If you feel threatened by their words or actions, I say to evict them ASAP for your safety. Don't take any chances, especially if you're alone running the property.

Comment

Re: Kinda Creepy Tenant

FROM SCOTT ZUCKER!!! Just emailed out.

Term and Termination:
      The Truth About Month-To-Month Leases
      By Scott Zucker

One of the unique aspects of self storage is that the rental agreements are month-to-month. Essentially monthly rental agreements are automatically renewable depending on the actions of the parties involved. In other words, unless either party lets the other one know that they are not renewing, the lease continues for another month. Certainly, if the landlord remains silent and the tenant pays another month's rent, the lease is extended, by its terms, for another month.

A standard provision in a self-storage rental agreement will read as follows:

TERM:The term of this tenancy will start on ____________________ and continue month to month thereafter (the "Term"), unless terminated as hereinafter provided.

It is often a common misconception of self-storage operators that they, as landlords, cannot terminate the storage lease unless the tenant fails to pay the monthly rent. But the truth is that the landlord always retains that right of termination, just like the tenant, to end the lease relationship. Essentially a landlord does not need a CAUSE for lease termination although, as long as the tenant is paying its rent and the operator is deriving revenue from that tenant, a termination is unlikely. But there are other reasons why an operator may choose to terminate a tenant's lease, even one where payment is being made on a timely basis. For example, leases can be terminated if the tenant breaches other terms and conditions of the lease agreement, such as a violation of the USE provision of the lease, leaving litter and trash on the premises, loitering at the facility for extended periods, suspicious activity that may be considered criminal or a breach of the peace. It is important for operators to remember that a landlord always reserves the right to terminate a storage lease for any breach of the terms and conditions of the storage lease in addition to non-payment.

A standard termination provision in a self-storage rental agreement will read as follows:

TERMINATION: This Agreement shall continue from month to month unless the Tenant or Owner delivers to the other party a written notice of its intention to terminate the Agreement at least ten (10) days prior to the end of the then current rental period. Owner may immediately terminate Tenant's lease if Tenant is in breach of the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Upon termination of this Agreement, the Tenant shall remove all personal property from the Space (unless such property is subject to the Owner's lien rights as referenced herein), and shall deliver possession of the Space to the Owner on the day of termination. Tenant agrees that the Space shall be left in a broom-swept condition. If the Tenant fails to fully remove its property from the Space within the time required, the Owner, at its option, may without further notice or demand, either directly or through legal process, reenter the Tenant's Space and remove all property therefrom without being deemed guilty in any manner of trespassing or conversion. Any property remaining in the Space after termination of this Agreement including but not limited to any boxes and trash left in the Space or on the Facility will be deemed to be of no value to the Tenant and may be sold, destroyed, or disposed of in any manner chosen by Owner. Tenant agrees to pay all costs incurred by the Owner for said clean-out and/or repair, or Owner may use a collection agency to collect unpaid invoices if Tenant has moved out.

Although some states like California suggest thirty (30) days' advance notice for the termination of a residential month-to-month lease, different consideration is often given to commercial leases like self storage. Further, even in states like California, if rent is not paid and the Landlord wants to terminate the lease, a notice as short as three days may be given for the tenant to vacate. As in all situations, self-storage rental agreements must be drafted based upon the state where the facility is located.

Until next month - Happy storing!

Scott
      Throw kindness around like Confetti - But don't get glitter in your eyes!

Comment

Just a quick update on this guy. Apparently he has been out of the country for the past several months as I have neither seen nor spoken to him since I had the police officer here. He just got dropped off by a taxi and came in to let me know he was vacating his unit today. He was not his usual creepy self today and I think he actually got the voice mail the police officer left for him, but chose not to speak with him about it. Instead, I think he's realized he's not wanted around here and has chosen to move on. Either way, I'm just happy to have him gone.
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by dairygirl View Post
          re: Kinda creepy tenant

he just came in again. I know he had absolutely no reason to go to his unit because he only keeps his bike in there. It was an excuse to come in and see me. So, he asked what i did all weekend. I said "nothing" when i probably should have said "none of your business." he then says "you could have been out with me." to which i said, "i'd already told you no." he then wants to verify his rent paid thru date, and says he'll probably be back by then. Since i know he spends time out of the us, i took that to mean he is leaving again and will probably be back around the time his rent is due. Then, he says, "you can go for a ride with me then." i said, "no, i'm not, and you need to stop asking." he kinda of laughed a little and said "ok." i said again "you need to stop asking." he laughed again and left. Police are on their way now to discuss this with me. I'll update when i can.
          CALL 911 WHILE HE IS STANDING THERE. LET HIM KNOW YOU ARE NOT BLUFFING.

Five minutes later: Oops, just read the last chapter. Good for you!
          Last edited by RogerAgness; 16 August 2016, 08:06 PM.
          "But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal." -Matthew 6:20

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
            Just a quick update on this guy. Apparently he has been out of the country for the past several months as I have neither seen nor spoken to him since I had the police officer here. He just got dropped off by a taxi and came in to let me know he was vacating his unit today. He was not his usual creepy self today and I think he actually got the voice mail the police officer left for him, but chose not to speak with him about it. Instead, I think he's realized he's not wanted around here and has chosen to move on. Either way, I'm just happy to have him gone.
            Glad to hear things worked out.

Comment

Well, guess who just resurfaced!? Got a call this morning from a guy looking to store a boat. The caller ID had a foreign name on it so I didn't know it was this guy until after I got off the phone. Since he told me on the call he'd rented here before, I thought I'd check the phone number. I about died when I saw this guy's name pop up. He's crazy if he thinks I'm allowing him back to rent here.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                Well, guess who just resurfaced!? Got a call this morning from a guy looking to store a boat. The caller ID had a foreign name on it so I didn't know it was this guy until after I got off the phone. Since he told me on the call he'd rented here before, I thought I'd check the phone number. I about died when I saw this guy's name pop up. He's crazy if he thinks I'm allowing him back to rent here.
                5982641_keep_calm_coz_hes_back.png

Good luck! I wish I was a fly on your wall when he comes to the office and you tell him, sorry, nothing's available!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

5982641_keep_calm_coz_hes_back.png

Good luck! I wish I was a fly on your wall when he comes to the office and you tell him, sorry, nothing's available!
                  He's gonna get told that a lot. In fact, I'm probably just going to tell him that he's not welcome here and he needs to find another facility to store his boat.

Comment

YES!! But let him come in.....so that you can tell him to his face he is not welcome at your property!

kick-rocks.jpg

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Let him know he's been trespassed and if he shows his face there again, he'll be arrested. What a creep!

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
                        Let him know he's been trespassed and if he shows his face there again, he'll be arrested. What a creep!
                        Unfortunately he wasn't/hasn't been trespassed, and it's been more than 5 years since he last rented here. He still isn't going to be allowed back though.

Comment

I'm kinda wanting to block his phone number. jokingnotjoking

Comment

DairyGirl Oopsie, Mr. Creeper, I don't have any units available at all! Try to diffuse and send him packing instead of being confrontational in any way for your safety. Come up with anything. New owners demand a credit and background check. We have a 60 day long (at least) waiting list. Whatever you can think up. Good luck!
                            Gina 6k
                            twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
                            VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
                            [email protected]

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
                            I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

DairyGirl - what ever happened with this guy? did he go elsewhere or did he disappear?

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie720 View Post
                                DairyGirl - what ever happened with this guy? did he go elsewhere or did he disappear?
                                Haven't heard from him in a while. I'm sure he'll call again looking for a spot for a boat, and I'll either tell him I don't have anything or I'll just flat-out tell him he'll need to go elsewhere because I won't rent to him again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X