Where did that bike come from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did that bike come from?

I was out most of the day yesterday, and when I got home I walked the dog like usual. Coming back to my apartment, I noticed a bicycle leaning up against the gate that closes off an area between 2 buildings. Since I hadn't seen it when walking the dog that morning, I knew it had shown up some time while I was gone. The first thing I did was check gate activity to see who had been here. No one seemed to be the type that would leave a bike, but one of them had to have left it. I actually watched video from Saturday first, to make sure I hadn't just not noticed it. Then, I watched video from yesterday, starting with the time the first person of the day entered. When I got to around 1pm, I could not believe who it was that left the bike. She has a unit right outside the office and is here often. I watched her walk the bike around the corner of the building, lean it up against the gate, and walk back to her unit. Never would I have guessed she was the one. I now have the bike in the facility unit and I put a note on her unit door to come see me. If she tries to deny it, I took photos of the footage (on pause) that I can show her, or I can invite her to actually watch the footage of her doing it.

What I really want to do is lean the bike up against her unit door with a note on it that says something like "I think you lost this". But, I'll try to keep it professional.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Is it possible she simply forgot she left it there? And also, aren't cameras GREAT!!
    Stephanie Tharpe
    Senior VP of Operations
    A+ Storage of Tennessee, LLC
    Nashville, TN
    http://www.aplustorage.com

TNSSA Board of Directors
    www.tnssa.net

Comment

Originally posted by MusicCity Gal View Post
      Is it possible she simply forgot she left it there? And also, aren't cameras GREAT!!
      Oh no, there was no forgetting. Her unit is at the opposite end of the building from where she left it. She did it on purpose. And yes, cameras are great. Clearly, she didn't know she was being watched by one.

Comment

You should see around these parts...I get shopping carts, baby carriages, bicycles, you name it! I'm so thankful for good cameras these days.
        Last edited by Jeanette M; 12th February 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

What you did was the best thing you could do. I had a customer do this one day. After watching video I locked the bike in a unit of mine and contacted the customer. Was it left close to your gate? Some people do this to try to manipulate a gate, if you turn it sideways you can usually hit sensors necessary to open the gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Tercelet1 View Post
            What you did was the best thing you could do. I had a customer do this one day. After watching video I locked the bike in a unit of mine and contacted the customer. Was it left close to your gate? Some people do this to try to manipulate a gate, if you turn it sideways you can usually hit sensors necessary to open the gate.
            The gate she left the bike near is just an old wooden gate that hides a grassy area between 2 buildings...it's kind of my "yard", as there is a cement pad and patio furniture at one end (though I never use it). It has nothing to do with my entrance gate and isn't even near it. I know I didn't consider her the type to dump a bike because I was shocked to see it was her leaving it, she isn't one to mess with my gate. Other than this incident, she's actually a good tenant; been here since 2014, never late with her payment, no complaints or issues with anything.

Comment

I had to read your post twice to get what you were saying. At first I thought it was no big deal for a tenant to leave a bike someplace and walk to her unit and then come back for the bike. Then I figured out that it looks like the tenant took the bike out of her unit and then was "abandoning" it by the gate to let you deal with it. You could contact her and tell her she now owes a "rehoming" fee for that bike. That could be one of the fees mentioned in the thread by Amy about fees.
              "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                I had to read your post twice to get what you were saying. At first I thought it was no big deal for a tenant to leave a bike someplace and walk to her unit and then come back for the bike. Then I figured out that it looks like the tenant took the bike out of her unit and then was "abandoning" it by the gate to let you deal with it. You could contact her and tell her she now owes a "rehoming" fee for that bike. That could be one of the fees mentioned in the thread by Amy about fees.
                I should have been more clear and said she abandoned it. I left a note on her unit door to come see me. She can be difficult to reach by phone because she travels for work frequently. She has a choice: put the bike back in her unit, or take it with her to dispose of with her own trash at home. If she was going to leave it, she would have been smarter to put it by the dumpster...it would have been gone within an hour (or less), and I would not have known about it.

Comment

The mean part of me loves to catch the tenants in a lie. They always deny it at first, then you show them the video...its fun to watch them backpedal. Although I have had people say "that's not me" even with a closeup of their face AND their vehicle!! (I'm really not a mean person, I swear!)
                  "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

DairyGirl, thanks for clearing that up for me. I get denser with age. She probably just assumed it would be gone within an hour no matter where she left it.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer View Post
                      The mean part of me loves to catch the tenants in a lie. They always deny it at first, then you show them the video...its fun to watch them backpedal. Although I have had people say "that's not me" even with a closeup of their face AND their vehicle!! (I'm really not a mean person, I swear!)
                      Me too!! This is another reason why I haven't tried to call her...I want to see the look on her face when I talk to her and hear her excuse. She also can't pull the "that's not me" excuse either. At the time this happened, she was the only tenant on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post

Me too!! This is another reason why I haven't tried to call her...I want to see the look on her face when I talk to her and hear her excuse. She also can't pull the "that's not me" excuse either. At the time this happened, she was the only tenant on the property.
                        ooo, you got her cold! Ha ha, let us know what she says!
                        "I don't understand your specific kind of crazy but I do admire your total commitment to it!"

Comment

She was just here. Her story is...she left it for a kid that lives next door to her. She told him where he could find it and gave him her gate code so he could get it. She said since it was still there Monday morning when I moved it, he must have decided he didn't want it. It is now by the dumpster and will probably be gone before the night is over.

Comment

wow. They always have a story don't they? Couldn't bother to tell you what was going on, or ask if you would have a problem with that, or leave it by her unit with a note even. O well, it least its taken care of.

Comment

Her story doesn't track. Why would she leave it for a neighbor boy in one breath and in the next she has put it by the dumpster? She could bring him to her unit and give it to him if she really means that. I call "Columbo" bull crap on that excuse. Now you know what kind of person you are dealing with, one that will lie right to your face.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X