Stop bothering me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop bothering me

So, around 8:30 last night I was disturbed by a tenant ringing the doorbell that is in front of the office (it rings in my apartment and they rang it several times). I went out to see what was going on and saw 4 people standing outside the gate. They had been dropped off by a taxi from the airport and were there to pick up their car that was stored here. The tenant said he'd forgotten the gate code (it had been 4 mths since he left the car here) and they couldn't get in. Now, all kinds of responses to that statement are going through my head and not one of them is "oh, let me go get that for you right away". I asked him if he was the tenant (I didn't recognize him) and he said yes. I asked him for his ID and went into office to get his code. He said thanks and apologized for bothering me. About 15 minutes later, the doorbell rings again. What now!? Now he says his car won't start, can I recommend someone for him to call. He's standing there holding an iphone, which, I'm pretty sure, has internet capability. Google "towing service" for the town or county and pick one! <sigh> I gave him the name of 2 services for him to call, he again apologized for bothering me and I went back inside. An hour later the tow truck finally arrives, jump starts his car for him, and they all drive away. Yes, they were in kind of a bind with the gate code thing, but wouldn't you make sure you had it written somewhere knowing you were coming from out of town-late-and were going to need it?? The whole thing just irritated me, and maybe it shouldn't have, but it did.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

It is irritating because we give them all kinds of ways to have their codes. I do a card and tell them to take a pic with the cell phone. People lose cards but hardly ever lose a phone. I am surprised he didn't ask you to pull the car out for him. The nation and schools are raising people that cannot do for themselves.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I was actually waiting for him to ask if he could leave his key with me so I could start his car a couple times a week. Uhhh, no. And I suggest taking a pic of the code all the time, but nobody ever does. At least that I'm aware of. Luckily, this kind of thing rarely ever happens.
      And, I haven't heard from him at all. I would have at least called and thanked the person for helping me after hours and apologized again, and again, for the disturbance. But, that's just me.

Comment

That is me as well but in today's society, I have said many many times, the younger they are the less they care. ENTITLEMENT!

Comment

Be grateful it's "only" the occasional customer, as irritating as they are. Be grateful it's not the owners thinking you're at their beck & call 24/7 banging on your windows or phoning your personal cell phone at all hours. Trust me, that happens to more resident managers than you can imagine.

But your topic DG brings to mind that old saying; "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Sometimes I think all on site facilities should have that posted near windows and doorbells.
          Gina 6k
          twitter.com/GinaSixKudo
          VM: Four-Oh-Eight- Seven-Eight-Oh-Eight-Oh-Seven-Nine
          storagebizhelp@gmail.com

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!
          I am not an attorney, just an experienced manager who is willing to share what I have learned. Your thoughts, practices or opinions may vary and neither of us may be right.

Comment

You should have put on pajama pants and a Packers t-shirt and big fuzzy slippers to add to the picture. It would have nailed in the fact that guy was disturbing you after hours. Maybe.
            I want buns of steel.
            I also want buns of cinnamon.

Newcastle, WA

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
              You should have put on pajama pants and a Packers t-shirt and big fuzzy slippers to add to the picture. It would have nailed in the fact that guy was disturbing you after hours. Maybe.
              Oh I was in my pjs, just not my Packers jersey or tshirt. And, I saw yesterday, he called the office about an hour before he got here. I hope he wasn't expecting to be given his gate over the phone because I don't do that for anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina6k View Post
                Be grateful it's "only" the occasional customer, as irritating as they are. Be grateful it's not the owners thinking you're at their beck & call 24/7 banging on your windows or phoning your personal cell phone at all hours. Trust me, that happens to more resident managers than you can imagine.

But your topic DG brings to mind that old saying; "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part." Sometimes I think all on site facilities should have that posted near windows and doorbells.
                I am very lucky when it comes to the owner. He is very "hands-off" and has a lot of faith in those of us who run his facilities.

Comment

I probably would not have even answered the ringing doorbell.
                  Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

When I first started 17 years ago people would knock on the door after hours or on holidays and I would help them. I thought we were being nice but in reality I was training them to take advantage of us. The last time I answered the door at 7am to someone who wouldn't stop banging on the apartment living room window (outside the gate) because he didn't have his code I answered the door in shorts, a tshirt and soapy hair.

I told my boss and she asked me if I had an After Hours Charge sign? No, I replied but I put one up on the door, on the apartment door and in the office & I make sure to let new customers know that we do not answer the door. I wish I would have known that a long time ago, I could have retired on the $20 ! The phone will ring over to the answering service who will assist or call us if really needed or they can call 911 for fire or some sort of real emergency. Not many people want to pay $20.00 cash to my husband or I after hours. We have had those who did and I took their payment or got their code. I explained that even though we live and work here were are not at your beck & call so if they need something after hours then they will have to pay.

lady5563 I don't normally answer the Ring doorbell after hours, especially if I do not recognize the person.
                    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Educating/training the tenants is the key to most all problems we come up against. Prominent display of charges they will incur for not having their collective do-do together gets the point across real quick.

Comment

We have a gate that shuts at 10 pm in the evening. We have several signs posted around the facility that they must be out by then and also tell them at move-in. After being called several times after hours (because people we stuck behind the gate after hours) we started to enforce a $150.00 emergency after hours help. If they are unable to read serval signs and follow directions then they can pay for us having to help at night during our time off work.

Comment

We allow people/tenants to leave thru the exit gate no matter what the time but at 2 times that they abuse the policy, they get to see me before I let them on the facility and I tell them that the very next time they have a brain fart, they are locked for a month unless I allow them to come and go during office hours 5 days a week. After that they will be booted out of the facility in 30 days with the same stipulation of only in and out during office hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexis5855 View Post
                            We have a gate that shuts at 10 pm in the evening. We have several signs posted around the facility that they must be out by then and also tell them at move-in. After being called several times after hours (because people we stuck behind the gate after hours) we started to enforce a $150.00 emergency after hours help. If they are unable to read serval signs and follow directions then they can pay for us having to help at night during our time off work.
                            As much as I would love to do this, I would never be allowed.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X