No announcement yet.

Yes, that was me you saw at the bank...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, that was me you saw at the bank...

I have a tenant who was mailed a lien notice on Monday of this week. The last time he was in and gave me any kind of money on his unit was shortly after Thanksgiving. He told some story about his wife had left him and she must have taken all the mail. And, also...he had broken his foot. These were the reasons he was behind. Ok, fine. Whatever. Fast forward to yesterday. I was at the bank, in the drive-thru, when I noticed his vehicle leaving the lane next to me (when leaving the drive-thru area, one can either go left to exit, or circle around to the right and exit in the back), he pulled way to the left like he was going to leave that way, but then went to the right and stopped. He sat there looking at me for several seconds, I think trying to decide if I was who he thought I was (HI, yes it's me. You owe me money). He then started to leave, but kept glancing in my direction. When I finally left, I had to exit the same way he did. He was at the stop sign on the corner to my left, but I was going the opposite way. I could see him keep sticking his head out the window looking back in my direction. I should have put my window down and waved to him.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

I think it was last year.
    Go to the local Wawa (coffee and sandwich shop) to get coffee and lunch.
    Upon walking in I see him.
    My 2-month delinquent tenant.
    He saw me too before he TRIED to duck behind the display of Wonder bread.
    I stroll over to him and say "Hi John, got my money for the rent?"
    He looks up with a deer in the headlight look!
    And say's "Oh do you know how much I owe?"
    I did know the amount and he walked out to his truck, came back in and handed me the $300. dollars he owed!!

I took my collections that day to whole "nother level!
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I once saw one of my frequent fliers that is late each and every month at the local Subway. He looked at me and I was in line farther back. He paid for 5 foot long sandwiches and did not even look at me as he walked out past me but he knew it was me. He paid his rent and late fee the next day via a drop off envelope. His excuse has always been that money is tight. Yea, eating 5 foot longs at Subway will do that to ya. He always pays now but always with a late fee. His mom came in one day to pay his rent on time and told me he is an alcoholic and his wife and kids left him. He was a tenant here when I took over 5+ years ago.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I was kinda hoping, but not really expecting, to have some money from him in my drop box. I mean, if you're at the bank, you're either putting money in, taking money out, or cashing a check and have it in hand. I hope it drove him crazy the rest of the night wondering if I knew whether it was him, and he's debating on whether or not he should come in. The funny part will be if he shows up tomorrow. I don't work on Saturdays, but will tomorrow cuz my employee needs the day off. Won't my tenant be surprised to come in, expecting to see the the man, but gets me instead. LOL

Comment

DairyGirl, sounds like an opportunity for a stink eye.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            Oh, very much so.

Comment

Just saw a delinquent tenant in his car at the gas station the other night. Our eyes met and he has the deer in head lights look! Still no payment though.

But I could tell by the look in his eyes, he just knew that I was thinking, "You're the guy that owes me money!"
              Adam Harris
              Store More Mini Storage
              Rogersville, TN

Comment

Originally posted by omegatron81 View Post
                Just saw a delinquent tenant in his car at the gas station the other night. Our eyes met and he has the deer in head lights look! Still no payment though.

But I could tell by the look in his eyes, he just knew that I was thinking, "You're the guy that owes me money!"
                They all do. Haha. I've even seen my "bank tenant" at the gas station a few times. They think if they look away real quick, we won't see them. LOL While I won't ever confront one about the money they owe, I think nothing of walking up and saying "hey, how are you"? haha Then they can't say I was mistaken and must have been someone else.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  I say give him a smile and a wink, then he will pull over

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Especially if you got peanut butter and bacon cookies. I would pull over.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Ewww, no thanks. Haha

Comment

I went to the corner store for a can of dog food and I saw a delinquent tenant. I tried to avoid eye contact because he gets a little weird sometimes, but I ended up behind him in line. While he was getting rung up, he glanced behind and saw me. He must've jumped about a foot off the floor, as if I were some kind of goon sent by the mafia to collect. Mind you, I'm just an older woman. He starts yelling at me at the top of his lungs, "I'll get you your money, Babe, I swear, you'll get your money. I just got a job, Babe, I get paid Friday. I'll pay you, I swear."

Seriously? Those people at the store don't know why he owes me money!! They always look sideways at me now. I feel a bit powerful, dangerous, even. The scary old woman buying a can of dog food...look out!!

Comment

Originally posted by Leraine View Post
                          I went to the corner store for a can of dog food and I saw a delinquent tenant. I tried to avoid eye contact because he gets a little weird sometimes, but I ended up behind him in line. While he was getting rung up, he glanced behind and saw me. He must've jumped about a foot off the floor, as if I were some kind of goon sent by the mafia to collect. Mind you, I'm just an older woman. He starts yelling at me at the top of his lungs, "I'll get you your money, Babe, I swear, you'll get your money. I just got a job, Babe, I get paid Friday. I'll pay you, I swear."

Seriously? Those people at the store don't know why he owes me money!! They always look sideways at me now. I feel a bit powerful, dangerous, even. The scary old woman buying a can of dog food...look out!!
                          Plus now they know you are a "BABE". I would have been tempted to say something like, " It would be smart of you to finally keep your promises".

Comment

Get 'em Leraine! Put the fear of god into them and teach them a lesson!
                            AmyLou

Comment

Oooohhhh, you should have said something like "I better have my money on Friday, cuz know what'll happen if I don't". Then do the "finger-knife slice across your throat. LOL Ok, maybe not the finger-knife.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Upnorth
                                Reply to Replacing Shingle Roofs - Shingles or Metal
                                by Upnorth
                                I'm curious what you ended up doing? I recently bought a building that was constructed in 1995 and needs a new roof. It's a pole barn type building, with steel walls, wood trusses, OSB deck, and asphalt shingles. I want to put a steel roof over the shingles, but am hearing different ways of doing so....
                                Today, 08:25 AM
                              • pacnwstorage
                                Reply to Had to reach for the Mace today.......
                                by pacnwstorage
                                No problem. I read one way and was meant another. I train tenants fro the get go that it is my way and nothing else. It is all written down and agreed to when they initial and sign the lease. Sometimes someone acts crazy on a tenant's behalf and that is when I remind them that I will win the disagreement....
                                Yesterday, 10:28 PM
                              • Grizz
                                Reply to Had to reach for the Mace today.......
                                by Grizz
                                I asked the question incorrectly.

A bad guy will be more aggressive towards a petit female vs someone your size, in which case they are more likely to back away. I think a female should be more alert and ready to draw since a physical confrontation is something she will more than likely...
                                Yesterday, 09:38 PM
                              Working...
                              X