Nothing but a ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nothing but a ladder

So I have a 10x10 unit going to auction on 3/1. This unit is one where the BF was paying for the GF to store her stuff, they apparently broke up so he came in and asked me to stop the autopay. He also gave me a note stating his GF would be in to put the unit in her name. Well that never happened. What did happen, though, over the course of several days, is the GF's new BF (I'm guessing) was coming in and taking things out of the unit. I'm assuming she was going to store somewhere else now that ex-BF would no longer pay for her storage. Well, the new BF didn't get everything out in time before the gate code locked out. I wondered why no one was coming in or calling about the unit. Until today, when I cut the lock off. All that's in there is a 20' extension ladder. A ladder! A stinkin' ladder!! Almost $300 in rent/fees and I'm only going to make, maybe $10 on it.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

THat ladder, depending on the brand and what it is made of, is likely worth more than $10. Is it a Werner ladder and made of aluminum or fiberglass? Since it is still in the first BF name, let him know his fees he owes. Follow the lien process and document with pics and if only a ladder you can move it to a different area to be able to rent the unit.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

It's aluminum but I didn't pay attention to brand. All notices, including the lien notice, have been sent to the first BF because she never came in to put unit in her name. He doesn't care. When he was in here stopping the autopay, he said everything in the unit was the GFs and he didn't care what happened to it. She had all the paperwork so she was likely aware of needing to get the unit empty before gate lockout. He certainly isn't going to pay $300 for a ladder that isn't even his. If I need the unit before the sale, I will move it, but I have a few of that size I can rent out for now.

Comment

Wow, that stinks! I'm sorry, DairyGirl. Karma will come back and bite the GF and her new BF hard!

At this point, do you have much recourse? Would it be worth sending it to a collection agency, even though you won't get as much, or do you take it as bad debt? I ask because we are about to open a new facility that will have lots of self-storage units instead of only boat/RV parking and I know that sooner or later we will run into the same problem.

Comment

What does your state statutes say about estimating the value of a unit before a sale? If you can just close it down and sell the ladder at CL
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

That musta been her Stairway to Heaven. Now how is she gonna get in?

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
              What does your state statutes say about estimating the value of a unit before a sale? If you can just close it down and sell the ladder at CL
              Nothing in statutes, or my lease, that mentions $ value. My statutes do say "sell or otherwise dispose of" but I have never done anything other than sell. I don't want to do something that could create an issue. As long as I don't need the unit, I'm fine with letting it sit there.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                That musta been her Stairway to Heaven. Now how is she gonna get in?
                If she was cheating on her BF, that ladder doesn't go to heaven. Haha

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X