Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deceased Tenants and the ones that pay

Let's take Bob, well, his name isn't 'Bob' but you get the idea/

Bob kicked the bucket. (before I became manager) There was no alternate on the paperwork but notes say 'Bob's wife' is paying, call 'this number'.

Okay. Bob's wife is always late. She also always says, "Once we get caught up, we're moving out." It's a 10x15 unit. Okay, sounds good.

After a few months I get curious, did 'Bob' really kick the bucket? So, I do a search. Sure enough. Bob kicked the bucket two years ago, and Bob's 'wife' WASN'T his wife, according to the obit, she was mother of his kids (ex-wife, probably) but he has (had) a spouse with a different name when he passed. Ah.

So, we'll call 'wife' Lily. Lily asks for past due, wants to make a partial payment. I get permission (it's usually a universal NO) . I also put in the email-"By the way, Lily. Unless Bob gave you the code and the key, or you have official court paperwork, you're not getting into the unit."

Lily; I have the code somewhere, but I don't know where the key went.

Me: Golly, then you better get court paperwork.

Lily: There was no court paperwork when he passed. I'll find the key.

Me:

Now there is radio silence from her, broken by occasional text reminders from us that the unit is getting closer and closer to auction. OF course Bob's email and phone # no longer work.

I send a reminder text to Lily-(only working # we have).

Lily: Can't you get the owner to give me a break? It will never sell anyway, it's full of junk.

Me: The owner will say we've give you plenty of time (96 days past due). Pay in full, get your paperwork in order and we'll talk.

Lily: I insist on speaking to the owner.

Me: Listen, we're run by a management company FOR the owner. The owner isn't involved in the day to day. They told me to tell you what I told you before. You are not on any of the paperwork. Sorry.

Radio silence.

Me-sigh.
    Last edited by KrisinNC; 12th March 2019, 06:44 PM.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Don't you love the storage business!

Comment

That unit would be empty and rented again by now, IMO. No partial payments and no excuses. Do you really have the time to put in to the baby mama drama?
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I wouldn't really care what "the notes," say, this woman is NOT your tenant.
        You do not owe her anything.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

"Sorry, but the tenant of record was Bob. If you don't have court documentation naming you as the administrator, we aren't giving you access to the unit. If rent isn't paid in full by the date of the sale, it will be sold as scheduled". End of story. She knows what's up. Sell it as scheduled.
          Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Filing a claim with the probate court takes less than 2 months. "Bob" died two years ago, she had plenty of time to get the necessary paperwork.
            A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

I have a similar situation. Tenant "A" rented 4 units for a business he owned, and apparently he passed away 2 years ago. His Associate listed on the lease as an "accessor only "to unit, wants it put in his name as he has been paying the bill for 2 years. He has keys, has codes- doesn't need me to give him access. He says he gave us all the legal documents 2 years ago ( there was a different manager here then) and says he shouldn't have to bring in new papers if we are just going to lose them. I let him know: first of all he will no longer get access to the units until legal paperwork has been provided. Secondly, we don't lose things, we file them, and his file has no such paperwork, only a note that he called to let us know tenant "A" had passed on. If he wants continued access to those units he will provide the paperwork. I over locked the units in question, and he continues to pay the bill without giving us any paperwork. About 1 month ago I sent out a letter to all of our tenants who have units along a certain outside area that we would be pressure washing and to secure the contents of their unit, we would try not to directly spray of course but to be safe they should come move anything of value away from the immediate vicinity of the door to their unit or cover it with plastic that we offered to provide at no charge. As it happened, all 4 of tenant "A" units are in this row. The guy listed as the accessor, calls me and demands we do not spray anywhere near the doors, because the guy who owns the stuff lives in Guatemala and is unable to come secure the unit......I said, wait.. what? I thought you said he was dead? He hung up and hasnt called me since, but continues to pay on the overlocked units. Weird.......
              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Wish I could see what happens to the Guatemala units end up.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                  I have a similar situation. Tenant "A" rented 4 units for a business he owned, and apparently he passed away 2 years ago. His Associate listed on the lease as an "accessor only "to unit, wants it put in his name as he has been paying the bill for 2 years. He has keys, has codes- doesn't need me to give him access. He says he gave us all the legal documents 2 years ago ( there was a different manager here then) and says he shouldn't have to bring in new papers if we are just going to lose them. I let him know: first of all he will no longer get access to the units until legal paperwork has been provided. Secondly, we don't lose things, we file them, and his file has no such paperwork, only a note that he called to let us know tenant "A" had passed on. If he wants continued access to those units he will provide the paperwork. I over locked the units in question, and he continues to pay the bill without giving us any paperwork. About 1 month ago I sent out a letter to all of our tenants who have units along a certain outside area that we would be pressure washing and to secure the contents of their unit, we would try not to directly spray of course but to be safe they should come move anything of value away from the immediate vicinity of the door to their unit or cover it with plastic that we offered to provide at no charge. As it happened, all 4 of tenant "A" units are in this row. The guy listed as the accessor, calls me and demands we do not spray anywhere near the doors, because the guy who owns the stuff lives in Guatemala and is unable to come secure the unit......I said, wait.. what? I thought you said he was dead? He hung up and hasnt called me since, but continues to pay on the overlocked units. Weird.......
                  And that my friends is why we don't change the name on an account without all the necessary paperwork.

Good times
                  A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

I will not change a name on a unit unless both are in front of me at the same time and I go over the lease with the prospective new tenant just like the old tenant. I also go for a ride in the gold cart with them to explain the facility policies with them and make sure they understand the name change is not an automatic thing. I have turned down 2 name changes over my time here.

The old, "I am the one who has been paying all along" does not mean a thing to me at all. If the old tenant is deceased then need proper paperwork before I would even consider the name change. If they can't supply the paperwork then the name stays the same and the rent goes on unless a lien kicks in for non payment.

Comment

OOhhhh, interesting. Wonder if he has/had some sort of legal "trouble" and got out of dodge. In any case, it certainly explains why you never received any paperwork. LOL
                      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

HAHA! The "deceased" tenant now lives in Guatemala eh?
                        AmyLou

Comment

Originally posted by AmyLou View Post

HAHA! The "deceased" tenant now lives in Guatemala eh?
                          Right? People lie... I used to have faith in mankind, but after working in storage for so long ........
                          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X