Break In

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break In

So on Saturday, during a morning walk about, Our maintenance guy saw a unit that had damage done to the latch and white powder around the door. We looked on the cameras, and a group of 4 people had used bolt cutters and a fire hydrant to break into the unit. Looks like they might have used a blow torch as well, but we couldn't tell on the cameras since a damn water drop (it was raining at the time) hit the camera in just the right spot so we couldn't see them for a bit. The unit belongs to a couple, now split up. I had the guy come in last week to get the girl off the contract, and told him I couldn't that she had to come in and take herself off, as they both have equal right to the space. So I'm guessing he changed the lock and her and her friends broke into it. I called him, he said it was probably her and didn't seem too worried about it.

This is definitely a learning experience, as the Break-in happened During office hours. Going to have to keep more of an eye on what people are doing in the yard.

I would evict them- no matter who dunnit. The fact is they will continue to bring you troubles as their relationship implodes on itself. He didn't sound surprised and not worried- that tells me right away he could care less about your property. Her and her friends will escalate things, sounds like a perfect storm is brewing and you have the opportunity to shut this down before it gets out of hand and costs you more money. Evict them, that's my advice
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

More drama tenants that cause damage and headache. Get 'em out and get'em gone. Have said it here many times before and been proven right so many times in the outcome. By the way, only allow ONE persons name on the lease from here forward if not already doing it. Plus, punch him in the snoot next time you see him.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Get rid of both of them as soon as you can. And going forward, the lease should only be in one person's name. If you have any other leases in more than one name, you may want to think about changing them.
        Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

We only allow one name on our lease for exactly that reason. Like the others said, kick them out. Going forward, never put more than one name on a lease, no exceptions, ever.
          Do the terms of your lease require signatures from both of them to execute a notice to vacate form, or can one person sign it? I would give them an ultimatum. One of them was caught destroying company property to break in to the unit. You can start by telling them you would like them to sign a notice to vacate form and move their stuff out. If they decide to be stubborn, you inform them, either they sign a notice to vacate and be gone within the week, or you WILL have to call the police, you WILL press charges, and they WILL be formally evicted. Either way they WILL leave. You're offering them an option to save all of you the time, money, hassle and potential criminal charges.

Drama like that will only continue from them. Other customers will see it and it will have a negative impact on your business.
          A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Thanks all for your advice. I'm typing up an eviction letter for them today. This is the first time Ill be evicting someone since I've started. I've been wondering about multiple people on the lease, that's what this storage place has always done. Do you guys then have a spot on the contract then for something like people allowed access to the tenants information?

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia1018 View Post
              Thanks all for your advice. I'm typing up an eviction letter for them today. This is the first time Ill be evicting someone since I've started. I've been wondering about multiple people on the lease, that's what this storage place has always done. Do you guys then have a spot on the contract then for something like people allowed access to the tenants information?
              Do not provide an access list. One name on the lease and then it is up to the tenant to give someone a gate code and key for the unit and location of the unit. The tenant is still responsible for how their allowed person acts at the facility and and rules broken. To be quite honest, more that one name on the lease and access lists are all about enabling. Before you know it the people on the lease together get in a fight or the people on the access list get in a fight with the lease name. It happens ALL THE TIME. Your best legal standing for you and your facility is one name on the lease and no access list.

Comment

Thanks pacnwstorage, I think I'm over-thinking about it lol. It does make sense. I know we have had issues with other tenants in the past where we have had 2 people on a contract, before I started.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia1018 View Post
                  We have no spot on the lease for a 2nd name, but in the storage database, there is a spot for an alternate contact. I tell all customer that being an alternate does not give them any legal rights over the unit and we don't discuss the details with them. They are simply a person we call if we can't get a hold of the customer. There is a spot to assign that alternate a gate code of the account holder so chooses.
                  A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

At the point you assign an alt contact a gate code, IMO, is like making them a second tenant. IMO, the alt contact gets a gate code from the tenant only. The next thing you know you have the same problem as 2 people listed as tenants on the least. The tenant and the alt get mad at each other and then one of them want the other barred from the unit, even if it is the alt contact. IMO, this is how I explain it to the tenant. "YOU are my tenant and my only customer on this unit and you are the one I talk to about anything good or bad and I NEVER give out your gate code. If you want someone else to have access then it is up to you to give them a key, a code and the unit location. Anyone else can come in and want the code and I will not give that out no matter how far out the BOO-BOO lip goes or how many tears run down their face". I close with, "You have all the power". When I know I am talking to someone who is taking what I just said seriously and I know they will not get offended, I can tell by the conversations we have already had between us, I then say, "But I am the one here with the most power, IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING".

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X