Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The manager made me mad, and that's why I'm like this!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The manager made me mad, and that's why I'm like this!

We're a disk lock facility and have a grinder for emergencies, but we don't offer lock removal for customers because our staff aren't technically trained to cut locks without damaging the door and latch. Tenants who lose their keys need to call a locksmith to remove the lock, as they obviously aren't permitted to cut them off themselves.

We had a tenant transfer the ownership of their unit to a friend a few weeks ago. When this happens the original tenant signs a document releasing the unit to its new owner and the new tenant initiates a lease with us without having to physically empty the unit. When the new tenant came he couldn't find the key to the lock. I wasn't there for the transaction but from what my manager told me the guy made a huge scene and ultimately revealed he might not have funds to pay for the unit.

Sure enough, the unit went delinquent a few weeks later, and I knew I was in for a show when I tried to contact him. The tenant's phone number was out of service, but the alternate contact person he designated told me that he would try to contact the tenant through Facebook, and I thanked him for his assistance.

A few minutes later, the tenant called back and started to get agitated right off the bat.

Me: [Answers phone] Self Storage Facility.
    Tenant: I just got a call from my friend! He says you guys are gonna auction off my stuff?!
    Me: I didn't say anything about--
    Tenant: Well you know what?! You guys can go sell off the whole ****in' thing! But my grandmother's ashes are in there so you better not sell that!
    Me: Well lien sale proceedings do not begin until after a unit is 30 days delinquent, so as long as you pay off the balance before that there is no possibility of an auction.
    Tenant: What's my gate code?
    Me: I can't provide that over the phone, but if you have forgotten your code you can come into the office and reset it. By the way, were you able to locate the key for your unit?
    Tenant: That's irrelevant! I've been occupying that unit for 2 years so just tell me my code!
    Me: It says here you've occupied the unit for a month.
    Tenant: I've had my stuff in there for 2 years and it was just last month we transferred the unit to me so don't ****ing tell me how long I've been in there!
    Me: You seem unnecessarily hostile.
    Tenant: It's because of your ******* manager! He made me mad! You know what he did last time I was there?!
    Me: Uh yes, I am aware of your "interaction" with our manager.
    Tenant: He ****** me off! That's why I'm like this!

We get the occasional unpleasant person, but this one was outrageous enough to be comical. We haven't heard from him since and haven't received a payment. I am still waiting for the inevitable show when he comes in to make a payment or reset his code, or the meltdown when he finds out his unit has been sold.

Sometimes I take great delight in following the statutes to the letter in situations like this. I get really irritated when a tenant, or anyone for that matter, starts telling me what they are or are not going to do or what I will or will not do based on what they allow. This is a verbal bully. An entitled little twit that wants to push someone around. We need a few less of those people on this earth. In this case he needs to go be someone else's problem.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I, too, am more than happy to send lien notices to tenants like this. If this were my tenant, when/if he came in to pay, I'd have a 30 day vacate notice waiting for him. I'd also be pretty pi$$ed off that this guy, allegedly, stored his stuff with you for 2 years under another tenant's name. That's something I don't allow at my facility, and if it had come out during the transfer process, neither would be storing with me. You're better off without him, one way or another.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

When I was younger I would have been mad and yelled right back and kicked them out. Now that I have a little age and a lot of experience on my side I have learned that the best way to confront this type of customer is to stay seated, stay calm and be empathetic but firm.9 times out of 10 they will de- escalate when they see you aren't going to react. I agree with Dairy Girl. I would have an eviction notice ready for them if they persist in this behavior. If he is verbally harassing and swearing at you over the phone, you don't need to put up with that. Chances are you're not the only bill they haven't paid and the pressure is on them with debt collectors and angry spouses, etc..... You never know what someone is going through. BUT that still doesn't mean you have to put up with being treated like garbage. Sorry your dealing with that!
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Don't put up with that. Evict him.
          AmyLou

Comment

P***ing off the person that runs the facility and the only person that may cut you some slack is a great way make sure no one goes out of their way to help you. Even if you're upset, I expect the customer to treat me with a certain level of respect. If they don't, I'm going to simply refer them to the customer service number and make notes in their account regarding their behavior and suggest that they not be shown in special courtesy.

Out of curiosity, why don't you guys offer lock cutting for a fee? We will cut a lock for the account holder only, as long as they sign a request form and pay us $35. Our lease prohibits customers cutting their own locks.
            A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
              Out of curiosity, why don't you guys offer lock cutting for a fee? We will cut a lock for the account holder only, as long as they sign a request form and pay us $35. Our lease prohibits customers cutting their own locks.
              Our facility requires disk locks, and the locks pose a conundrum as to how to get them off. Drilling takes too long to be practical, and although we have a grinder our staff don't have the training to grind locks without damaging the latch.

Don't put up with that. Evict him.
              Unfortunately the decision to evict tenants is up to our manager, who is very reluctant to evict anyone. After this guy's display however I would much rather see his tenancy end in a lien sale-- a plain old eviction would be just too nice for him. He did ultimately make a payment within 30 days, but it was only a day before the next month of rent came due so his unit is in arrears again.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthVandal View Post

Unfortunately the decision to evict tenants is up to our manager, who is very reluctant to evict anyone. After this guy's display however I would much rather see his tenancy end in a lien sale-- a plain old eviction would be just too nice for him. He did ultimately make a payment within 30 days, but it was only a day before the next month of rent came due so his unit is in arrears again.

I have a frequent flier who does the same thing. He gets no breaks from me whatsoever. The owner is going to allow me to raise rent on his unit soon.

Comment

There are always one of these aren't there. Honestly speaking, I don't get why they can't just pay for their units on time and save everybody all of these headaches and heart pains. It's just a matter of being on top of what you pay for. If you can't afford the storage space, then deal with having all of your stuff, on your own property thanks. I get I shouldn't be saying this hear because we thrive off having these guys put things in our units.. Haha!

Comment

In my case the frequent flier is an alcoholic. His parents came in for a while and paid his rent while he was in rehab. He got out and was good for about 2 months and then back to his old late paying ways. must be on the bottle again.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X