Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you for real, lady? There's a sign that says, "NO DOGS'.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rules for Your Service Animal in North Carolina
    North Carolina law says that you qualify for these rights by either displaying a tag, issued by the state Health and Human Services Department, stating that you have registered your animal as a service animal, or by showing that the animal has been or is being trained to act as a service animal. You can find the application form for this registration at the Department of Health and Human Servicesí website. You arenít required to get this registration.

An establishment may not ask you detailed questions about your disability or your animal. However, the establishment may ask if your animal is a service animal, and which tasks the animal is trained to perform.

You cannot be charged extra to bring your service dog to any public accommodation. However, you can be required to pay for any damage your dog causes.

A public accommodation is not required to allow your service animal to remain if it poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others. If, for example, your service dog is growling and lunging at other patrons, and you are unable to stop the behavior, the dog might have to leave. An establishment may also exclude a service dog that isnít housebroken or is out of control.
    AmyLou

Comment

I recently had to look up the laws in Alaska regarding Service Animals. The animal is question (here in AK) is not a Service Animal but an Emotional Support Animal, the laws ARE NOT the same.
      AmyLou

Comment

I had a similar issue with a tenant claiming their dog was a service animal. The dog hated my golf cart and would chase and bark at me whenever I passed by. I frequently told him to secure the dog and he pulled the "it's illegal to ask me to do that because it's a service animal". So I did some research and have a copy ready on my computer for any such arguments in the future.

Here are the laws (Oregon): Under the ADA, your service animal can be excluded from a public accommodation if it poses a direct threat to health and safety (or example, if your dog is aggressively barking and snapping at other customers, the facility can kick the dog out). Your animal may also be excluded if it is not housebroken, or if it is out of control and you are unable or unwilling to effectively control it.
        Here is a PDF in full:https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bi...3orLaw0530.pdf
        Give them an inch, they'll take a mile!

Comment

Thank you danika
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I was just looking up the laws about service animals in Florida...dogs and, in some cases, miniature horses are allowed access to public places. "Emotional support" animals are not covered here, which is good to know, in case someone tries to pull a fast one on me. I think I'll print mine as well to have on hand, just in case.
            Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Thank You Danika- I just looked up the rules for WA state and found if they the service animal or the "emotional support animal" is not housebroken I can ban it! YES! HA! I posted to her unit door ( in a sealed envelope for privacy of course) the printout regarding these rules and highlighted the areas that say I can ban them for various reasons- Along with a side note that we have her dog on camera taking a dump in the hallways several times now.I am waiting with anticipation for her to come into the office to argue the point. I have it printed and waiting in her file....mwuahahaha. I hope she gets so mad she moves out! I don't like losing tenants of course- but sometimes their money is not worth the headache!
              You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

IMHO an emotional support dog and a service dog are 2 totally different things.

I would think that the service dogs are highly trained in regards to barking and pooping too.

An emotional support dog is just that, it offers support to the dog's owner. There is no training on the part of this type of dog and I also feel that citizens use the system to benefit themselves!
                Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                  IMHO an emotional support dog and a service dog are 2 totally different things.

I would think that the service dogs are highly trained in regards to barking and pooping too.

An emotional support dog is just that, it offers support to the dog's owner. There is no training on the part of this type of dog and I also feel that citizens use the system to benefit themselves!
                  I agree. Emotional support. If that is the case we got a lot of messed up people in the US of A. Have seen them reach down and pet the dog and rub the nose and then check the latest produce with the same hand. Disgusting.

Comment

I would ask people like this to seriously sit in the lobby and wait. Or leave the dog with me in the office. I love animals. And if you can't have one on the property, then you can't have one on the property. God knows what would happen If such a sloppy owner left a doggy doo-doo pile on your mat, whether or not they would be arsed to clean it up if it went number 2 on the inside of the unit... Some things your just don't want to have to deal with mate.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                      Thank You Danika- I just looked up the rules for WA state and found if they the service animal or the "emotional support animal" is not housebroken I can ban it! YES! HA! I posted to her unit door ( in a sealed envelope for privacy of course) the printout regarding these rules and highlighted the areas that say I can ban them for various reasons- Along with a side note that we have her dog on camera taking a dump in the hallways several times now.I am waiting with anticipation for her to come into the office to argue the point. I have it printed and waiting in her file....mwuahahaha. I hope she gets so mad she moves out! I don't like losing tenants of course- but sometimes their money is not worth the headache!
                      Just a quick update on this: She moved out! I am so glad. Now we wont have to deal with her dog pooing in the halls every day! Her name is definitely going on my do not rent list, in case she ever circles back to us in the future.
                      You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

WOO-HOO glad she moved out. I have one with an "emotional support animal" she has been warned to behave herself or else. I'd prefer she move out
                        AmyLou

Comment

I tell all of the tenants with dogs here that the animal is ok to be here but cannot be out of the vehicle. No exceptions.

I also tell them that they have to stay in vehicle when at the office.

Comment

Tenant came in to make a payment and he was like, "Hey, I have a friend and she might need storage." I held up a hand, "If it's the lady with the dog? No way, buddy. She has problems with listening."
                            90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X