Is it Friday yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it Friday yet?

Boy, did I have a doozy of a tenant yesterday afternoon. He and his wife have been here, from what I can tell, about 10 years. He told me 20+ during his "rant". Anyway, for the past 3 years, they've been paying a discounted annual rate. They came in yesterday to renew for the year, and asked if they could have an old discount rate we stopped offering 3 years ago. It was a BOGO deal; a tenant could prepay up to 6 months, and get an equal number of months free. I know I've posted about it here in the past. It was awful and we finally convinced the owner to drop it. Fast forward to yesterday when this tenant asked for it again. I said no, we stopped that 3 years ago and were not offering it anymore. They proceeded to tell me how long they've rented here, how bad the economy is, how much they are struggling because of the bad economy, etc. He is in the antiques business and has often told me how much business has gone done over the years, people aren't buying the way they used to, blahblahblah. Ok, so you, with a "business" to run, want me, also with a business to run, to give you a HUGE break on your rent because YOUR "business" is slow?? I talked to prop mgmt, they said absolutely not (which I already knew would be the answer). The rate they've been paying for the past 3 years is the best they are going to get. Needless to say, tenant wasn't happy. At all. He kept saying "I'm trying really hard to bite my tongue and not say what I want to say", and in my head I'm saying "go ahead, what's stopping you". He muttered about going somewhere else because "there are so many other facilities in the area that would gladly take my business", but "I'd really like to stay here, but my unit needs to be cheaper". In the end, they paid for another year, at the rate they've been paying for the last 3 years. One of the last things he said to me before they left was "tell that person you talked to that I've got some antiques to sell them if they are interested. I'll give them MY "best" deal". And out the door they went.
    They weren't forced to stay. They weren't even forced to pay for the whole year. They were free to pay only a month, or two, and look elsewhere for a facility that they felt better met their needs/price. But I think they already knew they weren't going to find it. And threatening me with "I'll go somewhere else" won't work either. I can just fill that unit with a tenant with no discount.

Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

By the way, the economy is booming. Numbers don't lie. His choice of a business is the kind that fluctuates and not just with the way the economy is going. He may have the same affliction I have when I "buy high and sell low". I might have been tempted to tell him that if he is in fact biting his tongue that the facility insurance will not cover that but that's me, the "Mellow Guy". Every time I have been threatened by a tenant that they will move out I have always thought that GOOD, take your drama elsewhere, because we must be in a disagreement at that time anyway. Glad you stood your ground.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

A lot of people will push and whine to see what they can get. Standing your ground was the way to go.
      Amy Campbell
      Editor
      Inside Self-Storage
      amy.campbell@informa.com

@AmyCampbell_ISS

Comment

My response is often.. "ok, I completely understand, would you like me to put the required notice into the computer that you'll be vacating the unit by the end of the month? I have a list of people that would like to rent your unit. Thank you for the time you were our customer, let me pull up the notice screen on my computer...."

In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
          My response is often.. "ok, I completely understand, would you like me to put the required notice into the computer that you'll be vacating the unit by the end of the month? I have a list of people that would like to rent your unit. Thank you for the time you were our customer, let me pull up the notice screen on my computer...."

Then it's either crickets or stammering. "Well ahhhhh".
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post

And oh, is there anything else I can do for you?
            Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• DairyGirl
              Thoughts on RV parking
              by DairyGirl
              I would like your input/thoughts/opinions on an RV parking situation. New RV tenant has parked his smaller motorhome in a 12x40 space. Also in that space is a wave runner on a trailer. Both vehicles fit w/i the space which is why I allowed it, and there are others who have similar parking setups. This...
              Today, 09:56 AM
            • MamaDuke
              Reply to Storage Genie?
              by MamaDuke
              I haven't used it, but with only 2.5 stars in Google Play, I'm not running out to get it, either!
              Yesterday, 07:40 PM
            • allsecure
              Storage Genie?
              by allsecure
              Hey all. I would like to know if anyone out there has had experience with the Storage Genie from Open Tech? I would really appreciate any input you can give me. We are looking into this but I would like to hear from those who have tried it and if they were happy with it.
              Yesterday, 07:16 PM
            Working...
            X