Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auctioned off 6 units yesterday-guess what we found?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auctioned off 6 units yesterday-guess what we found?

It went off without a hitch-except...cremated remains of a loved one. sigh.

I face palmed-it's the ~infant daughter!!!~ of the tenant. After MONTHS of ignoring me, I texted her daughter and stated that it was to be picked up immediately.
    Amazingly, the former tenant who ignored me for MONTHS while the unit was going to auction, just texted and stated she'd be here this weekend. Ugh.
    Really?
    C'mon, people.
    90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

This is something most of us have ran across before and I recall at least 2-3 threads where these remains were mentioned.

I had been bragging recently about not having an auction here in about 2 years. I knew I should have kept my mouth shut. I just posted, this morning, an auction at Bid13. A 10x20 that is loaded with stuff but mostly boxes. There is a nice looking mountain bike at the very front and some nice looking equipment toward the rear. This is a tenant that always paid the day before the 2nd month's rent was due. Video will not post though.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I found the cremains of a tenant in his unit a few weeks ago. He died in Sept 2017!. He and his wife spent winters down here and lived on a sailboat kept at the marina. Well, the wife doesn't come down anymore and is selling the boat. They used the unit to store the cushions and other boat-related items. Apparently the wife decided to store her husband in there as well. I saw/found him in the unit when I had to cut the lock off for her so the salesman could come take pictures of the cushions. She told me that at some point she will be down to spread his ashes in the gulf, but doesn't know when that will be. Their van is also stored here. So, if the boat sells, and the unit needs to be emptied, but she hasn't done anything with the ashes, she plans on "storing" them in the van. Which she is also trying to sell. At that point, she's either going to have spread the ashes, or take them home with her, because I'm not keeping them here for her until she figures it out. Ugh.
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

I started my Bid13 auction yesterday on a 10x20 unit and set the starting bid at $50. By 8 am this morning it is at $221. Ends 06/05
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

At one property I used to manage in AZ, we had 6 sets of cremated remains. No one would claim them, no one would take them without a hefty fee. So... we made them part of the family. At Halloween I would decorate the office with little graveyard tombstones and spider webs, etc... and label the urns " Former Problem Tenants".....Customers thought it was a joke.... they didnt know it really was human remains in there.
          You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Out of three 'former' tenants that are supposed to come in, 2 people (one of whom we have her daughters ashes) haven't shown, but one guy is here for his items. sigh.
            90% of what you're stressing about now won't even be relevant in a year. Breathe easy. ~Wesley Snipes

WA State

Comment

Well my cremated "tenant" is gone. His sister and brother were here over the weekend and cleaned out the unit. I don't know if he's been tossed in the gulf or if they took him home. I'm just glad he's gone.
              Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                It went off without a hitch-except...cremated remains of a loved one. sigh.

I face palmed-it's the ~infant daughter!!!~ of the tenant. After MONTHS of ignoring me, I texted her daughter and stated that it was to be picked up immediately.
                Amazingly, the former tenant who ignored me for MONTHS while the unit was going to auction, just texted and stated she'd be here this weekend. Ugh.
                Really?
                C'mon, people.
                I'm still holding onto an occupant's MOTHER, SISTER and her CAT.

I think I'll hold onto them a while longer before I call the coroner.
                Kristy Olney
                Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
                Stor-All Gardnerville
                Gardnerville, NV
                https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
                  At one property I used to manage in AZ, we had 6 sets of cremated remains. No one would claim them, no one would take them without a hefty fee. So... we made them part of the family. At Halloween I would decorate the office with little graveyard tombstones and spider webs, etc... and label the urns " Former Problem Tenants".....Customers thought it was a joke.... they didnt know it really was human remains in there.
                  I have thought about keeping them as well...but I am quite morbid LOL.
                  Kristy Olney
                  Self Storage Ninja/Resident Manager
                  Stor-All Gardnerville
                  Gardnerville, NV
                  https://www.storall.biz/self-storage...le/industrial

“Should you find a wise critic to point out your faults, follow him as you would a guide to hidden treasure.” The Buddha

Comment

You can call the county coroner, or you can (and this was from the self storage lawyer's mouth) dump the ashes in a box or bucket, fish around for the metal tag from the crematory and call them to see if they'll take them. (yuck, last resort)

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by DairyGirl View Post
                      Well my cremated "tenant" is gone. His sister and brother were here over the weekend and cleaned out the unit. I don't know if he's been tossed in the gulf or if they took him home. I'm just glad he's gone.
                      Lol, 'tossed in the gulf'. My son (we'd had a discussion before he'd went overseas in the Army) - was cremated-his ashes are a. in the Pacific off of La Jolla, b. in the veteran's cemetery in SC AND c. on the farm of his fiancee in SC. BUT not in a box in a storage unit.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                        You can call the county coroner, or you can (and this was from the self storage lawyer's mouth) dump the ashes in a box or bucket, fish around for the metal tag from the crematory and call them to see if they'll take them. (yuck, last resort)
                        Oh they wold take them alright, for a small fee of $600
                        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Steve_hajewski
                          Reply to Powered stalls
                          by Steve_hajewski
                          I have some of them on my property. Each on a separate 20 amp breaker. I charge a $20 per month premium for the power. I have an automated kiosk for rentals but those units are blocked off in the management software so that you need to meet me to rent them.

So far those units have been...
                          Today, 03:15 PM
                        • KrisinNC
                          Reply to Powered stalls
                          by KrisinNC
                          That seems like a great idea-though place them somewhere they won't get damaged when a senior citizen inevitably knocks into one side of the other. I've had many phone calls for powered spaces so they can run dehumidifiers or a trickle charge for their battery....
                          Today, 03:04 PM
                        • KatherineAD
                          Reply to new to storage
                          by KatherineAD
                          No. I write for those magazines and blogs, and of course I belong to SSA!
                          Today, 02:46 PM
                        Working...
                        X