Customer gives away his unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer gives away his unit

I had someone call me yesterday saying that unit XYZ is hers now and asked if there was any paperwork needed to be filled out. I'm like "what?" Basically, I guess my customer decided to give her his unit. So I tell her I need him here, with ID, so he can get all the paperwork signed. She tells me she doesn't want to make him come do that because he lives so far away (he lives like 10 miles away) and he's done enough for her already, and she will be paying for it, blah blah blah. When she finally accepts my answer she says she will call him about it. After i got off the phone with her, I called my customer and left a message on his phone saying what I told her and said multiple times that I need him to come in.

Today, I come in and there is a message from said customer just saying "I gave my unit to Jane Doe. Thanks" UGH. So I called and left another message saying I need him in.

Although now that i'm thinking about it, I should have just said we don't allow that and said we have a waiting list or something, but this is the first time its happened.

Old tenant must sign a release of interest form with new tenant on it
    New tenant must sign a new lease and make first payment for the unit
    no exceptions

Comment

What letsgosonics said. You should also make it very clear to him that the unit is still his, along with all the responsibility of it, until he comes in and signs the release of interest form.

Comment

Ditto what letsgosonics said. Must see old tenant in person. No voice message or emails. Must do a new lease with the new tenant. She can still pay for the unit while in his name but if she does not then the lien process starts in his name because he is responsible for that unit while his name is on it, no matter who is paying for it or who's items are in it.

Plus, I would assume that your lease states this somewhere. Mine does.
        Last edited by pacnwstorage; 30th August 2019, 07:19 PM.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Yeah, I made sure to say the Unit is legally his until the paperwork gets signed, in person, multiple times in both voice messages. I've had issues with this guy in the past. He's the type that thinks the rules don't apply to him.

Comment

If we all knew he was of the "entitled" crowd we all could have guessed what he thought and expected, which is always the opposite of standard procedures.

Comment

The lease he signed (the contract he entered into) should have a paragraph 'Subletting or Assignment' or about transfer of ownership - which hopefully states, that you (the lessor) have the final say on any transfer. You should determine if you want to keep this tenant (or the new tenant), if not, it is a great time to send the 30-day written Notice of Termination. If you decide to go along with the transfer (we try to have both parties there, unless it is a divorce or break-up, then we schedule times for each party). We have our own transfer form that needs to be completed - that goes over the pricing (and this price may be different than the current price - maybe some special ended or the new tenant does not qualify, etc), unit size and lists the city, county and state of the facility among other things(copy of driver's license, vacate form, etc). You also need to determine if you want to charge an admin fee/transfer fee to the new tenant (it may be in the lease). If they had anything in writing between them (bill of sale or receipt) try and get a copy of it. You will also need to determine if you want to end the current lease (vacate him) and start a new lease and have a pro-rate collected (if you collect on a specific date) or collect new rent starting the day of new lease (we usually, just let the current paid rent stand and the new tenant pays on the 1st of the month, our due date, and keep the information in the system and make the changes as a update to the account). Set the expectations for both parties - he will need to spend about 10-15 minutes (complete transfer form) in the office and she will need to spend 15-25 minutes (complete transfer form and new lease) depending on how fast you work, they complete paperwork and number of interruptions. Hopefully, everything works out and maybe you might get a better tenant - that was pretty cool that she called you.

Comment

The last message you need to send him, "Yo, YOU are still responsible for paying, I don't CARE if you gave it to 'Janet;. YOUR NAME is on the contract. If it doesn't get paid YOU will be auctioned and go to collections, not her. So, if YOU don't want to be responsible for paying on it, come and see me to do the paperwork to sign it over. It's the ONLY way we can do this." Then if nothing happens continue on as if he was the tenant, including calls, texts and emails-he'll eventually figure it out. Or not.
                When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

The lazy entitled will make excuses for not showing up as they should and be the first to yell "FOUL" and threaten to sue if you cave in and not follow policy.

Comment

Finally got the customer to come in and sign the release form. He tried to get a finders fee for renting out my unit
                    Then called the new customer and told her she has to fill out the contract in person, (she wanted me to mail it to her) and she compared us to "Nazi friggen Germany"

Comment

Sounds like a perfect time, after he signed the release form, to tell her you will not choose to rent to her and to move the belongings out. She is gonna cause you headaches.

These are my favorite times to pull out my go to phrase, "Who do you think is going to win this disagreement?"

Comment

Originally posted by Alicia1018 View Post
                        Finally got the customer to come in and sign the release form. He tried to get a finders fee for renting out my unit
                        Then called the new customer and told her she has to fill out the contract in person, (she wanted me to mail it to her) and she compared us to "Nazi friggen Germany"
                        Call and let her know she needs to bring a moving truck wither her because her and her stuff can go elsewhere. Attitudes not necessary.
                        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

Call and let her know she needs to bring a moving truck wither her because her and her stuff can go elsewhere. Attitudes not necessary.
                          I'm kicking myself for not saying something like this to her.

Comment

Just had this happen to me and I evicted the whole lot of them. Ain’t nobody got time (or patience) for that!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyC View Post
                              Just had this happen to me and I evicted the whole lot of them. Ain’t nobody got time (or patience) for that!
                              Now you got it. See my signature.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                                by Storman
                                feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                                Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                              • Merman
                                by Merman
                                I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                                Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                              • IceBox
                                by IceBox
                                Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                                Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X