Gate Codes for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate Codes for Dummies

Ok, not really dummies, but you get where I'm coming from. Why is it so stinking hard for some people to put their codes in correctly!? I mean, with some of my tenants I think I could just assign them the number 1 and they'd still screw it up. I explain the numbers "the first 2 digits match your unit/parking space number, and the last 4 numbers are the last 4 digits of your phone number", and I emphasize the asterisk at the END of the number must be entered as well or the gate will. not. open. Almost all of them say "oh, that's easy to remember". LOL Is it though? Cuz I'm constantly having to help you with it. Even when I did 4-digit codes, people struggled. And they were choosing those 4 numbers!!! Also, that piece of black electrical tape is over the # sign for a reason. And people will still press that thinking the black tape must mean to press it. *face palm* There even used to be a big sign under the key pad that said "You must enter your gate code and * or the gate will not open". Seriously, there has to be an easier way to make people understand because it's getting ridiculous. *rant over*
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

I get that here almost everyday. Enter the code, then pound. Easy peasy. They will enter their code.... nothing happens. They will enter their code again plus the *sign. Nope, still nothing. Then they come into the office all mad because "your system isn't working correctly." When customers move in, I personally walk each tenant to the code box and show them how to use it. I have them enter their code followed by the #sign. So I know they know- they just forget. I think storage is just one of those things that most people dont use everyday, so they forget the correct way to enter the code. They remember the gist of it, but I just walk them back out there and say show me what you did. OK, now, watch how I do this. Then they get this look on their face like "OH!" OR they will say, I did that! Some people just never want to admit they forgot LOL.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

All facilities with a code to get in/out has this problem I think. On facility # 3 and still have this problem. <shrug> I don't know how to make it any easier either. We even 'practice' with them!
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

In this case, practice definitely does NOT make perfect. LOL

Comment

At our facility we have cards made up that we write their gate code on. Our gate order is *codenumber#. If somebody forgets it or loses that card they come into the office, show their I.D. and we give them a new card. The card also has their Unit number on it and our hours and info on the other side. It does get frustrating when the same people keep coming in because they forget their code or lose their card, but in a way it helps us keep a dialogue with our customers.

Comment

Each new tenant HAS TO leave the office after finishing the lease/rental agreement and they have to put in their gate code at the entrance and exit because I tell them I want to be sure it is working so I don't worry when office closed. They also have to drive to new unit and put the lock on. I want muscle memory to help them. I also tell them to take a pic with cell phone of the card with numbers of unit and code on them.

The code is the one digit building number first and then the last 4 digits of their ss# and then the (*). The gate will open without the (*) but they have to sit there longer and I never tell them that. 5 digits and a (*) should be easy, right! They even say that is simple. Yea, right.

People don't remember number flows anymore. All phone numbers are in their cell. They have a brain fart if asked to remember numbers. That is why I tell them to shoot a pic with their phones.

I cover some of the most basic things when I move someone in and I tell them the reason I do it is because, "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two"!
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I've even had people enter their code while reading if off of their rental paperwork, and still screw it up. I think I'm going to start "reinforcing" the gate code part and walk them to the keypad and have them enter it. It won't guarantee they'll get it right the next time, but not much more I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                Each new tenant HAS TO leave the office after finishing the lease/rental agreement and they have to put in their gate code at the entrance and exit because I tell them I want to be sure it is working so I don't worry when office closed. They also have to drive to new unit and put the lock on. I want muscle memory to help them. I also tell them to take a pic with cell phone of the card with numbers of unit and code on them.

The code is the one digit building number first and then the last 4 digits of their ss# and then the (*). The gate will open without the (*) but they have to sit there longer and I never tell them that. 5 digits and a (*) should be easy, right! They even say that is simple. Yea, right.

People don't remember number flows anymore. All phone numbers are in their cell. They have a brain fart if asked to remember numbers. That is why I tell them to shoot a pic with their phones.

I cover some of the most basic things when I move someone in and I tell them the reason I do it is because, "I know a thing or two because I have seen a thing or two"!
                Hey, I'm honest. My phone is my 'brain'. The only phone number I remember is my sister who has had it for 30 years!
                When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post

Hey, I'm honest. My phone is my 'brain'. The only phone number I remember is my sister who has had it for 30 years!
                  Same here. I dont even know what my landline number is!( It was included in our COmcast package bundle but we never use it) Or my employers phone number, or my sister ( but in my defense she gets a new number every other year so I just stopped keeping track)
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

To this day I can remember my 16 digit Mo. drivers license number from over 23 years ago. I have just always had a head for numbers. I do default to my cell all the time and also don't know or answer my land line Comcast phone. It amazes me how lots of people do not even know their ss#.

Comment

Originally posted by AjmCorona View Post
                      At our facility we have cards made up that we write their gate code on. Our gate order is *codenumber#. If somebody forgets it or loses that card they come into the office, show their I.D. and we give them a new card. The card also has their Unit number on it and our hours and info on the other side. It does get frustrating when the same people keep coming in because they forget their code or lose their card, but in a way it helps us keep a dialogue with our customers.
                      Be careful with the info on those cards. What if a tenant loses it? Then someone has their code and unit number. We offer cards, but there is no information about unit number or facility info on the card itself.

Comment

Lost card problem. The tenant is warned and advised by me that as soon as they take a cell phone pic of it to put it away at home in a safe place. The adults should take care of this themselves. Plus, the first digit of the unit and gate code is the building number and the door numbers do not start with the building number. This way we do it has already paid off one time when a tenant had a card robbed from his study at home while he was on vacation. The would be robber drove thru 2 times and was seen the whole time on cameras and drove right by the unit two times with no clue. He was arrested off of his security camera pics and what he did at the home.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          Lost card problem. The tenant is warned and advised by me that as soon as they take a cell phone pic of it to put it away at home in a safe place. The adults should take care of this themselves. Plus, the first digit of the unit and gate code is the building number and the door numbers do not start with the building number. This way we do it has already paid off one time when a tenant had a card robbed from his study at home while he was on vacation. The would be robber drove thru 2 times and was seen the whole time on cameras and drove right by the unit two times with no clue. He was arrested off of his security camera pics and what he did at the home.
                          Yes, if they lose the cards, that's on them..They are adults. We have never had a situation where any would-be robbers came in with the cards. Not to say it can't happen, but they would then need the key to the lock all the while being on camera. They are more than welcome to decline the cards and I advise them to take a pic with their phone so they'll always have it with them. Honestly, most lose their cards ::facepalm:: but it's also on their lease and they can come in to retrieve it as well. But yes, it is on the back of our business cards with all 4 locations AjmCorona is my assistant

Comment

I always make the same statement when I tell them to shoot a pic of the card, "It's easy to lose a card but hardly anyone loses a cell phone". They always agree. It makes it way easier to share the code if they want a trusted person to have access to the unit if they are not there. If said person comes in to my office wanting the code because they need to get something for the tenant and they know where the unit is and have the lock key. I say, "Sorry but you are not my tenant and I NEVER give out a gate code to anyone but the tenant". I also warn the tenant that if this takes place and said person all of a sudden starts crying or sticks out a Boo-Boo lip or even gets testy with me, that I will still not give out the code. They are to make whoever aware of all this as a warning.

Comment

I just had a tenant call the other day, telling me he and wife were homeless and he could not find a job. WTF I see Help wanted signs EVERYWHERE.
                              Anyway I was at home yesterday afternoon and had to log in for another Customer. I noticed that he keyed in at the entrance with his correct code. He and Wife? then tried the Climate control door. I saw a bunch of invalid codes. While getting a shower to go to dinner. His Wife??? called and gave the wrong unit # and said they could not get in.

I checked this morning and his code was his birthday Month, day, & 2 digit year. He coded correct to get in, but forgot his code until he got to the next keypad. It turns out most invalid codes were close but he used 4 digit year. How does one forget the code they just used 45 seconds earlier. Luckily We have a contractor doing work here and he followed them out.
                              On a side note he will be locked out tonight for non payment. Glad he is forgetful.
                              Joe Krezdorn
                              DAK Self Storage
                              Leesport, PA 19533
                              www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                                Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                                by Storman
                                feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                                Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                              • Merman
                                by Merman
                                I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                                Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                              • IceBox
                                by IceBox
                                Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                                Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                              Working...
                              X