Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Auction is over. Ex-tenant isn't even finished.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auction is over. Ex-tenant isn't even finished.

This person. (erg, argh! groan) She is standing on my last nerve.

She's almost gone to auction repeatedly over the last year that I've been here. Well, last week it finally happened, she couldn't get her friends to pay and it went to auction.

I received several emails day of insisting that their personal items be set aside. Most auction people know this but I had the auctioneer reiterate it with emphasis. Also, the tenant wanted their information given to the winner in case they could buy some things back. I said I'd try.

This week I've had about 10 emails asking what was left and how they wanted the information about the winner, or for me to contact them because while they UNDERSTOOD it was to keep angry people from getting involved, she wasn't like that. (insert eyeroll here) Yeah, NOPE. I double checked with management company but we're all on the same page. Listen pal, you didn't pay-it's GONE. Stop by for the rest of your crap but leave me alone now!

When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

The entitled auction tenant that can't seem to grasp the fact that they are no longer relevant and need to BE GONE! Dealt with them on a monthly basis at last facility. When I took over here the owner allowed mt to run the place my way. I make sure that every new move in gets the speech about what will happen if they go to auction and I never ever take a partial payment. They initial that. I never ever deviate from what I have told them. The tenant may not like it but no one's arm is twisted to rent here and I am not swayed by excuses.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I responded by stating she should bring a large vehicle for the amount of boxes. She wanted to know if she could come and see, organize to decide where things go. (after I shrieked) I responded, "Everything needs to be picked up the same day, I don't care how you want to do it."
      When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

She wants to go thru and pick what she wants and leave trash with you. DO NOT LET THAT BAG OF WIND DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          She wants to go thru and pick what she wants and leave trash with you. DO NOT LET THAT BAG OF WIND DO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Don't worry-at this point I'm going to have everything brought down and they'll have to organize as they place it in their car. No shenanigans.

WA State

Comment

pacnwstorage I about died when I read the second half of your comment LOL

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post
              pacnwstorage I about died when I read the second half of your comment LOL
              It's what I do!

Between living on both coasts and in the Midwest and been over half way around the world in the US Navy, I have picked up many ways to be a smart a$$!

Comment

Our bidders want nothing to do with the lien sale tenant. They take everything. I am not in the "store your stuff after sale business".
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Be very careful with this person (ex-tenant) and you should be the only person to deal with them, since you know the back story (not a relief or an assistant). Before I let this person set foot on your facility, I would construct some letter that protects you from any liability (you do not want them to trip and fall and try to sue you) that they need to sign, I would collect a deposit (because they will pick and choose what boxes to keep and leave you with a bunch of trash to clean up) and explain (or better yet, have written and signed) what is expected to get the deposit back, I would make sure all vacant units next to where the boxes are located are locked tight (so they can not 'hide' or 'stash' the trash and leave the facility) and I would set a time frame (a couple of hours tops) and tell them they have to be out by XX:XX time or else everything remains yours (this is a courtesy you are providing). If you have camera's - you will want to record the area they are in, in case you have any issues. Be prepared for the person to come in and say - box 'X' was not with the other boxes and they need that box. Let them know that the auction buyer purchases the entire contents of the units - except Protected Property, did they disclose when they completed the lease, that they had Protected Property in the unit (our lease has various boxes to check mark)? If they did not check any box or write it on the lease, your pretty golden. If they did, you did your due diligence by having the auctioneer mention that such property needed to be set aside for the facility. Our state statute - is pretty clear, Protected Property - the operator gets to dispose of the Protected Property by destruction of the property or surrendering to appropriate state or federal authorities. Hopefully, you just have one last big headache with this person and can move on.

Comment

Originally posted by KeelHauler1994 View Post
                    Be very careful with this person (ex-tenant) and you should be the only person to deal with them, since you know the back story (not a relief or an assistant). Before I let this person set foot on your facility, I would construct some letter that protects you from any liability (you do not want them to trip and fall and try to sue you) that they need to sign, I would collect a deposit (because they will pick and choose what boxes to keep and leave you with a bunch of trash to clean up) and explain (or better yet, have written and signed) what is expected to get the deposit back, I would make sure all vacant units next to where the boxes are located are locked tight (so they can not 'hide' or 'stash' the trash and leave the facility) and I would set a time frame (a couple of hours tops) and tell them they have to be out by XX:XX time or else everything remains yours (this is a courtesy you are providing). If you have camera's - you will want to record the area they are in, in case you have any issues. Be prepared for the person to come in and say - box 'X' was not with the other boxes and they need that box. Let them know that the auction buyer purchases the entire contents of the units - except Protected Property, did they disclose when they completed the lease, that they had Protected Property in the unit (our lease has various boxes to check mark)? If they did not check any box or write it on the lease, your pretty golden. If they did, you did your due diligence by having the auctioneer mention that such property needed to be set aside for the facility. Our state statute - is pretty clear, Protected Property - the operator gets to dispose of the Protected Property by destruction of the property or surrendering to appropriate state or federal authorities. Hopefully, you just have one last big headache with this person and can move on.
                    Thanks-we do have a form. What we do is bring everything down so they can put in in their car. We don't let them in the facility anymore. I can foresee he's going to be a pain, but I was pretty adamant EVERYTHING goes, same day.

WA State

Comment

If an auction buyer wants to leave personal items for the tenant, it's a couple boxes max. Anything more than that I won't accept. In cases where the tenant goes completely MIA, (phone out of service, no contact for two months, etc.), I won't accept any personal items because I already know I can't get a hold of the tenant to tell them to pick their stuff up. I've had a few customers just stop paying rent and I never heard from them ever again.

On a couple occasions, I have forwarded the former tenants name and number to the auction winner and they can call to sell sell items back if they want to. That's where my involvement ends.
                      A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

If they want the personal items they at least need to make themselves available to you. I don't have to save anything or ask the buyer to save back anything. If the buyer wants to give me a couple of boxes I will call the offending tenant. I will talk one time to them or leave one message with a time frame and any deviation from that means, "to the trash".

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                          If an auction buyer wants to leave personal items for the tenant, it's a couple boxes max. Anything more than that I won't accept. In cases where the tenant goes completely MIA, (phone out of service, no contact for two months, etc.), I won't accept any personal items because I already know I can't get a hold of the tenant to tell them to pick their stuff up. I've had a few customers just stop paying rent and I never heard from them ever again.

On a couple occasions, I have forwarded the former tenants name and number to the auction winner and they can call to sell sell items back if they want to. That's where my involvement ends.
                          I did that already after the auction. Sucks to be the ex-tenant, can't do anything more.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Storman
                            Reply to monopoly from sitelink/sparefoot/StorEdge
                            by Storman
                            feels a little like Stockholm Syndrome. By feeding these aggregators we're hurting our own industry. In the name of possibly increasing occupancy percentage we're giving away a large slice of our income and future viability. Income that we as the business developers, owners and operators have taken...
                            Yesterday, 11:38 PM
                          • Merman
                            by Merman
                            I definitely had more rentals with Sparefoot. I was using Storedge as well. A big question to ask each person once the reservation comes in is how long they plan to store for. Each time a Sparefoot reservation rents for 1 month and takes off, you're losing money. I would politely decline those reservations....
                            Yesterday, 09:00 PM
                          • IceBox
                            by IceBox
                            Following up on this, just wondering if anyone is having success with Sparefoot/Storable Marketplace for renting up a new facility. It makes sense to try and be visible everywhere you possibly can be, especially for a newer facility or expansion, but I do see some of the downfalls:

A) sparefoot/storable...
                            Yesterday, 06:08 PM
                          Working...
                          X