Using the Proper Pronoun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the Proper Pronoun

Just had my first experience a few days ago with a " Agender" type customer getting made at me for calling her "Ma'am." She snapped at me, telling me she prefers the pronouns you,they and them. I jokingly looked around the room and asked her if they and them were present in the room with us right now? She got so mad she decided not to rent with us. LOL...I consider myself a nice person but I think all this more than 2 genders-- or gender neutral-nonsense is absolute BS.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

I am waiting for this to happen here in Eugene, Oregon at my facility. I will just shut down the rental and tell that male or female that I do not believe we would be able to meet her/his needs at this time. That would be a drama catastrophe waiting to happen. I agree, wc1974, it is all BS and those that enable this crap are just as bad. The world is not rainbows and unicorns and I know male and female. You cannot teach this old dog this new trick because he does not want to be taught.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

And so besides Sir, Miss, Mr, Ma'am, what are the options? I have yet to see what the suggestion for the "title" is for those choosing non-traditional gender.

"Good morning, THEM, how are you today?"

"Good afternoon, YOU, how can I help you?"

Not professional, IMO!
      MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post
        And so besides Sir, Miss, Mr, Ma'am, what are the options? I have yet to see what the suggestion for the "title" is for those choosing non-traditional gender.

"Good morning, THEM, how are you today?"

"Good afternoon, YOU, how can I help you?"

Not professional, IMO!
        Exactly, how do you put those pronouns in a greeting or any other type of reference point? I guess maybe just using their first name? My daughter says even calling someone who is gender neutral by Mr. or Mrs. is considered unacceptable by "their" kind.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I guess we stop addressing them directly. I mean, when they first walk in we don't know their names or preferred gender reference. So I guess it's just, "Hey there. What's up?"
          MamaDuke

Comment

I think, "Hey whatever", might work. LOL!

Comment

I'll continue to greet as usual " Hello, how can I help you today? " from there I will just try to avoid any reference to "themselves" as much as possible. Keep it simple, and I will just have to work really hard on not laughing out loud in these situations. I try to remain professional but my facial expressions give me away, I dont have a poker face you could say.

Comment

I think it's important to respect what people ask you to call them. It can be confusing or seem unnecessary, but it's just the polite and respectful thing to do. That being said, it's also rude for people to yell at you for making a simple mistake as well.

Comment

That's why down in Texas we say, "Howdy y'all."

Comment

Originally posted by AjmCorona View Post
                    I think it's important to respect what people ask you to call them. It can be confusing or seem unnecessary, but it's just the polite and respectful thing to do. That being said, it's also rude for people to yell at you for making a simple mistake as well.
                    What their nickname is will be as far as I go when it comes to addressing someone as either a male or female. This gender neutral confusion is just another way for some to try and change the norm. It needs to stop NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by AjmCorona View Post
                      And that is where the difference in opinion is, I think. I feel like indulging this only makes it worse and enables that person to dive deeper into their mental health issues because they believe it is normal. It's not normal. But like I said before- to remain professional in business whether you support or dont support the gender or non gender cause- treat everyone equally, with no special exceptions. If they cant handle a simple transaction without having a meltdown, then they have much deeper issues than you or I can help them with, and I honestly would not want to deal with them as a customer going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post

And that is where the difference in opinion is, I think. I feel like indulging this only makes it worse and enables that person to dive deeper into their mental health issues because they believe it is normal. It's not normal. But like I said before- to remain professional in business whether you support or dont support the gender or non gender cause- treat everyone equally, with no special exceptions. If they cant handle a simple transaction without having a meltdown, then they have much deeper issues than you or I can help them with, and I honestly would not want to deal with them as a customer going forward.
                        Very well said.

Comment

And here I am all these years struggling to get the right sir/ma'am usage on phone calls based on voices... I've put my foot in my mouth a few times over the years. Worst was trying to be jokingly with a customer who was renting and seeing he was a xmas baby, I asked if his mom combined his bday with xmas to screw him out of a day of gifts. He said yeah so I looked at the lady with him and asked her why was she so mean to her son like that...... Well go figure some 20y/o guy is dating some 50y/o lady that looks like they could be family..... But hey, got the rental still!

Comment

I was born Christmas Eve and my mom was the only person who made sure I did not get the "This present is for your birthday and Christmas". Even my grandparents did that. PO'd my mom a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                              I was born Christmas Eve and my mom was the only person who made sure I did not get the "This present is for your birthday and Christmas". Even my grandparents did that. PO'd my mom a lot.
                              PAC:
                              I too am a December baby. Many a year I was given birthday/Christmas gifts. My mother always tried to make the day a little more special but we always had Christmas decorations up at my birthday parties.

ORK:
                              Sometimes I do that too, I have the best intentions of humor then I stick my foot in my mouth! ( this post is a good example of that) I actually had almost the same scenario- Old guy, young lady- I thought her grandpa was helping her move in until they started smooching next to the Uhual. I about gagged. Not because of the age difference, but because I thought they were family.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KDLnk
                                Reply to Personality Traits
                                by KDLnk
                                Clean - I have a bit of an OCD problem when it comes to my property.
                                Polite - Customers are treated like family (but that doesn't mean you get your way as there are laws and policies that must be followed)
                                Never Stands Still - Always something to do so when we are not in the office, there...
                                Today, 02:20 PM
                              • MamaDuke
                                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                                by MamaDuke
                                Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                                Today, 12:18 PM
                              • dakselfstorage
                                Reply to Where Would You Live?
                                by dakselfstorage
                                Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                                Love the entire area....
                                Today, 12:17 PM
                              Working...
                              X