No announcement yet.

Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to rent storage spaces for other people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mama's, don't let your babies grow up to rent storage spaces for other people

*sigh* I had a customer come in today to pay on a unit. While he was here he mentioned that his items were in the unit and that he lost the key to his lock. He needs a lock cut and oh by the way we're going to move the items out. Mind you, the actual tenant who signed the lease is not in my office, all we have of the person sitting in front of me is a name and phone number in our notes screen. Cut to 45 minutes later and I'm now on the 5th time of explaining to this person that I can't do anything for him until the tenant gets here and signs our forms. Luckily he was polite, but boy was he dense.
    Ugh. I really wish people would stop renting units for their friends/family members items.

He was dense or felt that if he played dumb enough and dragged out everything you would get fed up and just do it to get rid of him. You spent 35 more minutes with him than I would have. Especially since his name was not on the lease. I feel very lucky that I don't run in to some of these problem people because of the upscale neighborhood my facility is in and that I train the tenant from the very beginning.

I literally tell every tenant this, "I don't care if the person in front of me is crying or sticks out the boo-boo lip, I am not giving them a gate code or cutting off any lock for them unless that person is the tenant and can prove it". I mean business ad make them very aware of that at move in. I tell them that is just part of the security process here.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I've had this conversation with people. Luckily it's never lasted more than a few minutes. I've had husbands and wives show up to rent and I tell them that whoever's name they put it in will be the account holder and the other one has no legal rights or obligations to the unit and can not make any changes to the account. If the other one forgets the code and asks me to open the gate, the answer has to be no every time. I've had a couple customers waiting in the parking lot for their significant others to text them the gate code. When I explain the reasoning, they all seem to understand that I'm just protecting my customers.
      A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

That's why I tell them to take a pic of the unit number and gate code card to be able to send in a text
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KDLnk
          Reply to Personality Traits
          by KDLnk
          Clean - I have a bit of an OCD problem when it comes to my property.
          Polite - Customers are treated like family (but that doesn't mean you get your way as there are laws and policies that must be followed)
          Never Stands Still - Always something to do so when we are not in the office, there...
          Today, 02:20 PM
        • MamaDuke
          Reply to Death of a tenant question
          by MamaDuke
          Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
          Today, 12:18 PM
        • dakselfstorage
          Reply to Where Would You Live?
          by dakselfstorage
          Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
          Love the entire area....
          Today, 12:17 PM
        Working...
        X