The Debit Card Access Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Debit Card Access Card

At our facility tenants have the choice of keying in a numeric access code or swiping an access card to get through the gate. There are able to choose one or both options at move in and can change their preference at any time. There's no difference and it's all up to what the tenant feels is most convenient for them.

A tenant came into the office today and told me their access card wasn't working. I pulled up their account and saw it was paid up.

Me: I'm gonna try reassigning your access card. That usually solves any problems with the gate and the access control system.
    Customer: Yeah, it's weird. Because I've been using my card everywhere else and it's worked fine.

Wait a moment. "Everywhere else"? I looked at the card the customer was brandishing as she spoke.

Me: Umm, is that the card you were using on the card reader?
    Customer: Yeah.
    Me: Ohhhh I see... That is not one of our access cards... that is your debit card.

Yup, that's right. The customer had been swiping her debit card, issued by her bank, in the access card reader.

The customer didn't even have an access card assigned to their account, only an access code. The bank in question does actually refer to their debit card as an Access Card, and I have no idea if that contributed to the confusion. I guess she saw the words "Access Card" in the corner, completely ignored the bank and VISA logos on the card, and started swiping it through the card reader.

Was she blond?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
      Was she blond?
      HEY! lol
      Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Comment

Had to be blond! I am surprised that someone hasn't taken a pic of the card on their cell and then held the phone up to the reader and expected that to open the gate.
        "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          Had to be blond! I am surprised that someone hasn't taken a pic of the card on their cell and then held the phone up to the reader and expected that to open the gate.
          So totally going off topic here but this reminded me of when I used to travel for storage regularly and i'd screw with people at hotels. I always had a cell phone case that would let me keep cards in the back of it in a pop open slot. Well a lot of the hilton branded hotels were going to cards you swipe near the door to open and before any actually had the phone app allowing entry. I used to keep my room key in my phone case and just wave my phone near the door and get it to open. I don't even want to think how many headaches I caused for the staff by people seeing me do it and I would tell them that *oh yeah it's a new phone feature, go ask the front desk*. I even got my boss at the time to check about it at one point

Comment

Insert face palm here.

Comment

Ohhh boy. Blonde? The beautiful and talented MS. Alice is gunna come visitin'. She was going to call 911 to pre-book a room at the hospital for ya'll but she forgot the number.

Comment

That's just amazing.

I kinda want to bankroll a sign for you "Unfortunately, Gates Do Not Accept ATM Cards" for you to post.
                Kevin Kerr
                Storage Commander Management Software
                k[email protected]
                Direct - 951.867.4732

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin SC View Post
                  That's just amazing.

I kinda want to bankroll a sign for you "Unfortunately, Gates Do Not Accept ATM Cards" for you to post.
                  Hmmm, is it considered bribery?
                  When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin SC View Post
                    That's just amazing.

Ok so go patent this as I can already see someone seeing this comment that works for a gate company and try to find a way to make this a reality. Pull up to the gate, past due? No problem, swipe your card and make payment without even leaving your car! And of course if we offer that then we have those nifty remote locks so soon as you pay it reverses the overlock.

Comment

Most of the mag stripe reader will read that as well as a card you've got just for access. They all use pretty much the same format. Was your access control system showing a "Bad Password" message when she swiped the card?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post
                        Was she blond?
                        Hey hey now! LOL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                          Reply to Death of a tenant question
                          by MamaDuke
                          Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                          Today, 12:18 PM
                        • dakselfstorage
                          Reply to Where Would You Live?
                          by dakselfstorage
                          Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                          Love the entire area....
                          Today, 12:17 PM
                        • pacnwstorage
                          Reply to Death of a tenant question
                          by pacnwstorage
                          IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                          Today, 10:12 AM
                        Working...
                        X