Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please, don't auction my stuff (I can't lose it!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please, don't auction my stuff (I can't lose it!)

Me: Sent Final Notice Of Lien letter and followed up with email stating the same.

Tenant: I was in a 5 car wreck and I've had to have three surgeries and have my hip replaced. So I haven't been able to work. And I sold land to the county and it won't fund until the first week of November because it has to go through King Co. Treasury. (the only part I might believe)

I want them to not cut my lock and sell my unit, I promise I'll pay when I get my money. (Oh, let me count the times I've heard this) Please let your management company know that I'll pay in full.

Me: uh huh. You said you were getting paid in October. What happened to that?

Tenant: Oh, they said it would take longer.

Me: Okay-I'll let them know. You know you'll still accrue rent and late fees?

Tenant: Oh, that's fine.

If I only had a nickle....
    Last edited by KrisinNC; 9th October 2019, 08:50 PM.
    When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

I had a customer waaaaay behind, with a sob story asking to postpone the auction when she was already eligible. I wanted to auction her, but the district manager said to give her a couple more weeks since she had 6 units. She actually showed up with the money. She's the exception, not the rule. A year later she ended up burning me for one unit and a few hundred bucks.
    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

First: Was that tenant ever late before? Thus establishing a pattern/history of not honoring the lease agreement.

Second: Can the tenant prove the accident? The operation? The promise of money in November?

Third: Why when the delay happened in October did he/she not come in and start the conversation then? At least call if could not come because of injuries and being able to prove the sob story.

If your facility does allow a partial payment to stretch the auction date out a month, then if you want to they can do that, in cash, and go from there.

Otherwise, like I have said many times, storage is a want and not a need. They chose to store and accept all responsibilities. It is not up to you to feel sorry fr them. Let a family member feel sorry and pay up now. Oh, hold it, no family member will because they know he/she is a dead beat and makes false promises.

Sell the damn thing ad be done with them. Like the other thread here about a terrible decision to let a tenant move in without payment and getting a promise to pay later. That management team was taken and they deeply regret it. If you cave to this tenant you most certainly will too.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        First: Was that tenant ever late before? Thus establishing a pattern/history of not honoring the lease agreement.

Second: Can the tenant prove the accident? The operation? The promise of money in November?

Third: Why when the delay happened in October did he/she not come in and start the conversation then? At least call if could not come because of injuries and being able to prove the sob story.

If your facility does allow a partial payment to stretch the auction date out a month, then if you want to they can do that, in cash, and go from there.

Otherwise, like I have said many times, storage is a want and not a need. They chose to store and accept all responsibilities. It is not up to you to feel sorry fr them. Let a family member feel sorry and pay up now. Oh, hold it, no family member will because they know he/she is a dead beat and makes false promises.

Sell the damn thing ad be done with them. Like the other thread here about a terrible decision to let a tenant move in without payment and getting a promise to pay later. That management team was taken and they deeply regret it. If you cave to this tenant you most certainly will too.
        History of late payments-though this is the latest he's been, I think. He called at the end of Sept and stated he'd sold the land and would pay the first week of October-which is why I smell BS. He said he could prove the land sale with documents, but I don't think the mgt co will care. They've probably heard everything in the way of excuses.
        When I had all of my ducks in a row-I realized that most of them were not even mine!

WA State

Comment

The "I can't lost it" statement is to play on your feelings and emotions. If it was all soooo important you pay for the storage that you "wanted" not "needed". As I get older I have less and less patience with people like this.

Comment

"I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today!"
            MamaDuke

Comment

Yea, Wimpy!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• MamaDuke
                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                by MamaDuke
                Different states have different laws. In CA, there is a legal form to be completed and notarized, or they must have the proper court documents. In the meantime, we overlock the space to ensure that no one gets access until we have the proper paperwork.

We don't want the son to come next...
                Today, 12:18 PM
              • dakselfstorage
                Reply to Where Would You Live?
                by dakselfstorage
                Just spent two nights on the outer edge of Kerrville at a Super 8. It was actually one of the nicer 8's we've stayed in. We did the three twisted sisters near there.
                Love the entire area....
                Today, 12:17 PM
              • pacnwstorage
                Reply to Death of a tenant question
                by pacnwstorage
                IMO, after seeing the certified death certificate and legal paperwork that gives her control of the mother-in-law unit belongings, she can have her name put on the unit and linked to her units. If you wish you can of course reference the mother-in-laws name somewhere on the unit.
                Today, 10:12 AM
              Working...
              X