No announcement yet.

Vacates Without Notice Hurts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeelHauler1994 Great feedback. Rent is due on the 1st for everyone, no matter when they rent in the month. Gate access is suspended on the 2nd and in my state, fees apply starting on day four. Contract says 15-day notice with no prorating when moving out. Doesn't stop people from coming in on the last day of the month and conveniently stating, "I forgot what the policy was or didn't know I was supposed to give one." I just want people to think twice and give us a call or send an email as a part of respect. After all, you have to give a notice when you're moving out of your apartment, or maybe people don't do that either. I guess I was raised to give a notice if I was leaving a job, moving, cancelling my phone, etc. etc.

Comment

I cannot tell you how many times that I caught someone moving out owing money, before I got everyone trained, that said they were going to give me the move out notice when they were done and they would come to the office to tell me and pay the rent owed. YEA, RIIIIIIGHT!

Telling them the notice is expected before the move out process starts just goes in one ear and out the other or over their head. Just like the lease states. It is legal and binding and I cover it all in great detail when they move in and I do tell them that I never accept the excuse of, "I did not know". Again, "YEA RIIIIIIIIIGHT"!
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Our lease states that we can charge a full month of rent without proper notice. I have never done that - I have always found a work around (i.e. the pro-rating of the rent). This might be an opportunity - maybe think about an addendum or an addition to the lease wording that allows you to charge a non-notice fee ($20 or something like that). You would think being on the hook for a whole month of rent would motivate a person and the thinking would be 'Why would a lesser amount help?" I rarely come across the 'total jerk(ess)' - they exist, but mostly people are fair and a fair fee most people would agree to pay (especially, if you have tenants that have been renting for years and can't remember everything in the lease - notice dates, etc). We have the notice to vacate posted in the office (on the wall), it is in the lease (of which about 5% of customers fully read) and we (the Managers) mention but sometimes our Assistant Manager is not always clear about the days and times with the tenant. So I am flexible but firm (how is that possible) - I might let the lack of notice slide (this really does not bother me, unless I had a waiting list or somebody really needed that size - but I never rent a unit behind somebody - because plans change). I am firm about collecting the rent for days used (collecting pro-rate rent) - every little bit helps towards the bottom line and my bonus.

Unfortunately (or fortunately, however you wish to see it) you seem to be boxed in by the lease (and the lease might have be constructed to the limitations of the payment software that is used) and can not offer any pro-rated rent option at this time.

Just to be clear - the pro-rating I am talking about is rent (and not a refund). Many tenants that are vacating before the end of a month ask about a refund for any unused rent, to pro-rate the rent amount to their vacate date and get a refund on unused rent, that we do not do.

The pro-rate of the rent is usually under $20 (for up to four days into the next month) and I have never had anyone refuse or argue about paying - they thought it was fair.

Your absolutely correct, that the courtesy is not there in everyone - but everybody seems to have so much going on and are being bombarded from multiple directions - I truly believe that people sometimes just forget. Plus, after awhile in this job (the tenants do not know this) we can tell - the truth from fiction.

Comment

I have finely tuned "spidey senses". If I confront someone moving out when owing rent I give them the option of paying half a month and I will unlock and let them go. I would never allow a pro rate of say 2-3 days. After all, they were trying to steal from me. That gets the evil eye.

Comment

Our facility is 1st of month billing for everyone, 15 day notice required. Late fee/lock/suspended code hits on the 6th after close of business (usually 5pm). Lately we have had a lot more than normal move out between the 1st and 6th, no notice, no wanting to pay or anything. My wife and I run the place, over 400 units, and have recently done an expansion. Before the expansion it wasn't much of a problem. Maybe 1 or 2 every few months, but last month it was 6. Maybe it's because we now have a lot more units, who knows. We just had this discussion on what we should do moving forward. In the past, we usually would let it go, but 6 in 1 month hits us pretty hard. We have talked about a "$20 no-notice fee" but then you are just giving the tenant an excuse. You could offer them to pay that, but if they don't then you really have no chance of collecting it, and won't be sending $20 to collections. You might piss them off by telling them "we'll you owe $20 for not giving notice". We have also talked about charging everyone what is owed, regardless if they gave notice, or only used the unit for 1 day in the month. (we don't prorate at move-out). Another idea was to change our late policy to locked out/suspended code on the 2nd, but keep the late fee until the 6th. This would be for all new contracts signed. The downside is keeping track of that, and maybe making people upset that can't pay until the 3rd or whatever. It won't prevent the people that don't give notice, but it will stop the early move outs. I don't think there is an easy solution. I won't go the route of locking someone out if I think they are moving out either.

Comment

I believe there is an easy solution. Charge a refundable security deposit if they give notice and move out before rent is due. If a tenant moves out owing any amount of money, they do not get the deposit back. You move in to a rental home, condo or apartment, they charge a security deposit that is much greater than that. IMO the amount should be $50 for up to my 10x15 unit for $135 a month and $100 for my 10x20 units and larger.
              Last edited by pacnwstorage; 13th November 2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                I believe there is an easy solution. Charge a refundable security deposit if they give notice and move out before rent is due. If a tenant moves out owing any amount of money, they do not get the deposit back. You move in to a rental home, condo or apartment, they charge a security deposit that is much greater than that. IMO the amount should be $50 for up to my 10x15 unit for $135 a month and $100 for my 10x20 units and larger.
                I had a past due tenant call, "Oh hey, I'm past due but I'm moving out. Can I used my first and last months' rent to just pay what I owe?"

"Uh, we don't take a first and last month's rent. Just a $20 admin fee-you still owe the past due rent, sorry."
                Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  This only works if your local competitors are doing something similar. Otherwise, that removes you from the running.
                  MamaDuke

Comment

I see what you are saying but us being the only facility that has never had a break in and having the best security in town keeps us in the running, IMO. We don't do the security charge but someone always has to be first. Many of the facilities lose out because they force tenants to buy their insurance. Some will unless you can prove you have your own insurance coverage. I don't think we ever will charge the security deposit but eventually some how some way a facility has to come up with a way to slow down move outs that owe rent. IMO, if we locked out the gate after the 1st and lock on the unit on the 5th, we could help slow the tide but I already only have the move out owing rent only happen once in a great while. Typically when they see me gone on my days off. It is just a thought.

Comment

I would be happy to have 3 people tell me they are moving out in a year. In the last 2 years I have probably had 3 people tell me they were leaving. We don't require a deposit because none of my competition does so they have no incentive to let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkey View Post
                        I would be happy to have 3 people tell me they are moving out in a year. In the last 2 years I have probably had 3 people tell me they were leaving. We don't require a deposit because none of my competition does so they have no incentive to let me know.
                        Honestly, as long as they take everything with them and do so before they're due again, I'm a happy camper.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgosonics View Post
                          Our facility is 1st of month billing for everyone, 15 day notice required. Late fee/lock/suspended code hits on the 6th after close of business (usually 5pm). Lately we have had a lot more than normal move out between the 1st and 6th, no notice, no wanting to pay or anything. My wife and I run the place, over 400 units, and have recently done an expansion. Before the expansion it wasn't much of a problem. Maybe 1 or 2 every few months, but last month it was 6. Maybe it's because we now have a lot more units, who knows. We just had this discussion on what we should do moving forward. In the past, we usually would let it go, but 6 in 1 month hits us pretty hard. We have talked about a "$20 no-notice fee" but then you are just giving the tenant an excuse. You could offer them to pay that, but if they don't then you really have no chance of collecting it, and won't be sending $20 to collections. You might piss them off by telling them "we'll you owe $20 for not giving notice". We have also talked about charging everyone what is owed, regardless if they gave notice, or only used the unit for 1 day in the month. (we don't prorate at move-out). Another idea was to change our late policy to locked out/suspended code on the 2nd, but keep the late fee until the 6th. This would be for all new contracts signed. The downside is keeping track of that, and maybe making people upset that can't pay until the 3rd or whatever. It won't prevent the people that don't give notice, but it will stop the early move outs. I don't think there is an easy solution. I won't go the route of locking someone out if I think they are moving out either.
                          Maybe consider denying access at 1 day late.
                          That is what we do.
                          Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

This only works if your local competitors are doing something similar. Otherwise, that removes you from the running.
                            Exactly, this is why we DONT do a deposit. I wish we did, but it would hurt us more than people moving out early do

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

That is what we do.
                              Yes we are leaning towards that solution. But everyone that already has a lease wouldn't fall under that rule, thus just the new ones. Then it would be trying to figure out who is who at the 1st of the month and with over 400 units it would be a challenge. So far this is the only solution we have really considered.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post

That is what we do.
                                Exactly what we do. We do still have some that tailgate to get in and out to vacate and try to be sneaky. We don't actually over lock them until the 8th. I do have a tenant that I over lock 1 day late because she has been caught tailgating to get in and out to access her unit. I'm just so glad in Texas it's not like some other states like CA, where they have to give their tenants access up till like 45 days or something? Rediculous. The laws are basically allowing tenants to steal from the companies.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Kevin SC
                                  Reply to Interesting idea
                                  by Kevin SC
                                  I love it Storagelady!

Create separate discounts in your software so you can track each moving company's performance in your reports too.
                                  Today, 01:26 AM
                                • Storagelady898
                                  Interesting idea
                                  by Storagelady898
                                  So I dont like the idea of running specials personally because people are absolutely crazy. BUT I had an interesting idea, wanted to see if others had any experience with this. Taking coupons ( say $10 off sign up or whatever) and taking them to uhaul places, realtors and property management companies...
                                  Yesterday, 10:20 PM
                                • Storagelady898
                                  Reply to Pest and Bug protection kit
                                  by Storagelady898
                                  We put bait stations in every empty unit and refill the bait. Also we spray the insides with bug stuff. I wouldn't trust a tenant to do it. I let the tenants know this when they rent a unit to not be alarmed if they see it, "we dont have a mouse problem and we dont want a mouse problem. And we...
                                  Yesterday, 10:13 PM
                                Working...
                                X