Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mice mice mice

Getting cold outdoors.

Received a complaint from a long term tenant-they have mice. Lovely. Relief manager gave them their Bader pamphlet.

Pest guy comes in and he starts baiting snap traps in neighboring vacant units when he goes, "Ah ha." (no. way.)

One tenant was storing large whole heads of garlic and the mice have decided to eat Italian I guess. You can see where they were snacking and there are droppings.

Sooo, email to garlic tenant and hopefully we get dead mice in the others. Might pick up glue traps on our own. ugh.

edit: Garlic tenant calls and SWEARS she cannot even EAT garlic so she would never have it in her unit. She's supposed to be in Sat to check it out.
    Last edited by KrisinWA; 25 November 2019, 03:59 PM.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Those pesky little buggers.And the mice are annoying too! I have a little mouse issue in one of our buildings right now thanks one of the Big Box stores we share a loading dock area with- they have an unofficial employee lounge area/breakfast/lunch and inner table parked about 50 ft away from our loading dock. Food, food wrappers, spilled sodas all left out overnight. It's pretty obvious to everyone except their store manager why they have a mouse problem, and by default so do we. We have caught 6 this month. That's more than we have had in over 2 years.
    You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

I just spent around $50 on amazon buying bait traps and peanut butter scented poison. I've checked the traps and there have been a few nibbles so hopefully it is working!

Matt

Comment

https://www.domyown.com/contrac-allw...tml?sub_id=571

Never leave home without the stuff. We put fresh poison in every empty unit every time we process them. And we will give fresh ones to any tenant we see while doing run through's.

We find dead ones here and there, but we haven't come across live ones.

Comment

We wipe down all walls, vacuum all the hard to reach spots to get all dust/dirt,Grease hinges,or movable parts, put bait bags in every unit upon move out, and spray for insects. This helps tremendously. Tenants love this service.

Comment

We use the large bait boxes that Terminix services each month. They don't catch everything, but it does help. It takes a couple, few days to kill them though. An electric trap works really well indoors. I used one years ago in a rental trailer. It ran on a 9 volt battery. A little peanut butter for bait and when they step on the contacts, it shocks and kills them instantly. It was covered so no one sees the mouse inside. It had a little red light on it to let you know if it was tripped or not. Down side is you'll have to dump it each time it cooks a critter.
            A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
              We use the large bait boxes that Terminix services each month. They don't catch everything, but it does help. It takes a couple, few days to kill them though. An electric trap works really well indoors. I used one years ago in a rental trailer. It ran on a 9 volt battery. A little peanut butter for bait and when they step on the contacts, it shocks and kills them instantly. It was covered so no one sees the mouse inside. It had a little red light on it to let you know if it was tripped or not. Down side is you'll have to dump it each time it cooks a critter.
              Lol-well, better than it catching a leg and the poor thing drags it everywhere. Yuck.

WA State

Comment

Well at least you won't have Vampires.

But I had the same issue about ten years ago. I had our mower in the DAK unit. Two weeks in a row I found droppings and bread crumbs. Another tenant told me he did see a door open with the tenant storing bread. WTH keep your food with you.

It took a while to get rid of the issue.
                Joe Krezdorn
                DAK Self Storage
                Leesport, PA 19533
                www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
                  Now can someone take that tech, ramp it up for human level voltage and design it so I can hook it to solar uplights? Bought a nice $70 set of 4 multi color rotating solar lights for our palm trees that stick in the ground and of course some random person walks by and grabs them all a week in :\ Still roaming at night when bored looking over homeless encampments for colored lighting.

Comment

People have done similar stuff with signs they placed in their yards and had neighbors stealing them. I had an electric fence years ago to keep my dogs in. If you get the cattle/horse box, it shouldn't kill anyone, but it definitely hurts. Plug it into an outlet, bury a grounding rod, run the wire to the object in question and set up a camera so you can share it will all of us when someone grabs it.
                    A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Tenants sent video of the droppings-sizewise I think it's rats, not mice. A whole different approach needed now. ugh.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinNC View Post
                        Tenants sent video of the droppings-sizewise I think it's rats, not mice. A whole different approach needed now. ugh.
                        Well that sucks if it's legit rat droppings. I had a couple come in once raising hell over "Rats" in their unit, they brought a box of shoes in that had "Droppings" in one of the shoes, I took a look, asked if they had a dog to which they replied yes, a smaller type yorkie or something similar I believe they said. The "droppings" were super old dog droppings, I could not get them to comprehend that it wasn't rats and they left pissed off that I wouldn't give them a couple hundred dollars of rent refunded. Still don't know if they were just really that dim or if they were trying to scam.

Comment

I'm guessing it was a mix of both on that one

Comment

I did experience some issues a few years ago but then I did some research and found a product on Amazon called Mice Defense. It is a natural spray repellent that I spray on the perimeter of the units interior after a tenant vacates. It has a strong smell initially but that dissipates quickly. Coincidence or not I have not seen droppings or had complaints about mice.

Comment

So, we've had traps out for a few weeks, and nary a nibble. Talked to my pest expert and he thinks that it's probably an old infestation and the previous critters are deceased (I HOPE) because it's statistically unlikely that ham, cookies and peanut butter aren't getting ANY nibble. Which, thank goodness.

WA State

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X