Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Customer claims flooding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer claims flooding

Among this mornings auto-pays that were dishonored I noticed a particular one that said 'do not honor'. So when I got out of church I noticed an email from this tenant claiming that her unit had water damage. I checked and she had purchased tenant protection through Easy Storage. To make a long story short after several emails back and forth she claimed she wasn't going to pay this months rent and that she had already rented a unit at another location and was moving out what was still salvageable and going to leave the rest! I emailed her back reminding her of the terms she had agreed to when renting the unit. Seems they water had come under the door after a heavy storm last night. Her unit is located next to a gutter downspout. I've never had anything like this happen in 35 years. I told her that I couldn't control the weather and couldn't solve a problem if I didn't know about it. I advised her about her contractual obligations and that if she moved some stuff and left some she would be liable for rent as long as her remaining stuff was in the unit. I also advised her that if she didn't pay I would carry it to our Magistrate Court and it would affect her credit report. I have to manually do lockouts and didn't get back into town until late tonight.

Have any of you ever had any problems with water coming in under the door and how did you handle it? BTW, this has been a problem customer since day one, always paying way late.

If water got under the door I wouldn't be arguing about one month's rent. I'd let that go in a heartbeat, and would have offered her a different unit away from a downspout.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
      If water got under the door I wouldn't be arguing about one month's rent. I'd let that go in a heartbeat, and would have offered her a different unit away from a downspout.
      This is the same as I would of done.

Comment

Hmm. all of our units have a 1 inch rain lip. I have been plowing here in the past and when it is wet and slushy the water that hits the doors edge runs down the door track onto the lower rain edge and out. The first time I did this I panicked and quickly got keys for a vacant unit. It was dry as can be on the main floor.

I have had tenant tell me that there stuff was ruined from water. One guy even said he was going to contact his high priced Philly lawyer. That unit on a day it was raining hard for a few days, Myself and a regular tenant went to the unit in question and I videoed him open vacant unit and walking in asking him if he saw any water drops of puddles. Nope dry!. I waited to hear from Philly attorney so I could show the video of no leaks. He never contacted us.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

She should definitely take ALL of her stuff. She's just being lazy at this point. As a 'goodwill gesture' don't worry about this month's rent-unless she leaves ANYTHING in the unit.
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Her claim is bogus and wants to get out without paying and leave her trash. She found another facility where she can start her entitlement crap all over again.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by twotoejoe View Post
              Among this mornings auto-pays that were dishonored I noticed a particular one that said 'do not honor'. So when I got out of church I noticed an email from this tenant claiming that her unit had water damage. I checked and she had purchased tenant protection through Easy Storage. To make a long story short after several emails back and forth she claimed she wasn't going to pay this months rent and that she had already rented a unit at another location and was moving out what was still salvageable and going to leave the rest! I emailed her back reminding her of the terms she had agreed to when renting the unit. Seems they water had come under the door after a heavy storm last night. Her unit is located next to a gutter downspout. I've never had anything like this happen in 35 years. I told her that I couldn't control the weather and couldn't solve a problem if I didn't know about it. I advised her about her contractual obligations and that if she moved some stuff and left some she would be liable for rent as long as her remaining stuff was in the unit. I also advised her that if she didn't pay I would carry it to our Magistrate Court and it would affect her credit report. I have to manually do lockouts and didn't get back into town until late tonight.

Have any of you ever had any problems with water coming in under the door and how did you handle it? BTW, this has been a problem customer since day one, always paying way late.
              You do not need this customer!!!
              Dave (Woodee) Scott

Comment

The fact that she went and rented another unit before mentioning a potential water issue to you makes me less inclined to believe her. I've never had flooding, but leaks do happen. I move the customer to another unit asap. I've never had one just rent somewhere else and tell me after the fact. My gut says she found a special somewhere else and wants to leave the trash for you to clean up.

If she has consistently been a problem and you think she's playing you, you could over lock if your rental agreement allows it, tell her she needs to pay this months rent and providing she moves everything out within an agreed upon time frame you can refund her rent if you like. If she leaves trash and/or doesn't meet the deadline, the rent is forfeit and used to cover disposal costs.

The other option is just let her move and hope she listens and takes everything. If she doesn't, add a disposal fee to her account, send it to collections or write it off as bad debt come tax time and chalk it up to the cost of doing business. Sometimes you get burned.
                A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

I would offer to let her have a different unit, but if she was wanting to move out over it-just waive the months rent if she was moving out due to damage caused by a structural or maintenance issue like a rain gutter malfunction Either way the damage claims would be between her and her insurance company. For example: earlier this year we had a leak from one of our upstairs neighbors. A big Box store had coolers that defrosted and flooded their back room, the water ran through their floor out from our ceiling onto tenants storage units. Since the tops of the units are open ( heavy duty wire mesh tops) a few tenants had a lot of damaged items. When they asked what we were going to do about it, I sympathized with them but then reminded them they should call their insurance company right away to file claim per the lease agreement that states we do not insure anything for anyone for any reason. Some of them took us up on transferring to a different area, 1 person moved out altogether, and the one who had the most damage stayed put but got a settlement from the Big Box store and her insurance company, so she is happy with that. She is still here, still a good tenant, go figure!
                  Last edited by wc1974; 4th December 2019, 02:31 PM.
                  You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Offering her another unit is not an option as we're completely full of that size unit. She is in a 10x20 and the only thing we have available is a 5x10. She still has her lock on the unit and promised to pay for this month when her 'problem' is solved. I put extenders on the gutters to divert any water away the units so we'll so what happens.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                      Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                      by KrisinNC
                      Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                      Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                    • evansr
                      Reply to Promotional ideas
                      by evansr
                      Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                      Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                    • Storman
                      Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                      by Storman
                      This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                      Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                    Working...
                    X