Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

sigh...it never ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sigh...it never ends

More strange folks:

2 separate tenants call in payments yesterday with the same approximate script:
    Me: "The balance is $xxx."
    Tenant: "Wait, what?! When did it go up to $xxx ?!?!"
    Me: (after looking up their rate history) It's been that rate since September 1, sir.
    Tenant $xxx per month! My God!

Are their memories really that atrocious or is the urge to be a drama queen just too strong?

Then I tried to follow up with a no-show reservation today. She answers and immediately says, "I can't talk right now, let me call you back later." Ok, then why answer the freaking phone, lady? Just let me leave a voicemail - couldn't even let her know what I was calling about because she rushed to hang up.

Yes, it never ends when you deal with entitled tenants, selective memory tenants or prospective tenants that say one thing and do another. I was taught to at least call and leave a message if I could not keep an appointment but now days other people feel their time is way more valuable than yours. You stay in the storage business and it will happen again and again and again and.....................
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

I get the increase one quite often, *here let me look at your history, well you paid that same amount for the last # months*. Or the ones when they do get a raise and complain it's gone up 3-4 times this year already and then you look into it and it's never been changed. I did all the increases for our sites myself so I can't help but laugh when people try that line and i'm thinking about all of the tenants who hadn't had increases in 13,000+ days before I came to this company.

Comment

I have a current customer who asked if he could make a prorated payment to move his due date forward a few weeks because that worked better for him financially, so we allowed it. Since then, he regularly sends in the wrong amount, and always at the wrong time- so at any given time he either has a credit or debit on his account depending on what he sends in, and maybe a late fee. I ALWAYS follow up once receiving his check in the mail with a phone call reminding him of his due date, and letting him know the correct amount of rent, and what his balance is since he sent in the incorrect amount. His answer to me? "Well if you people would get it right and stop changing what my rent is and when its due every month then we wouldn't have this problem." Can you hear my eyes rolling???? I politely remind him HE is the one who requested his due date be changed, and HE is the one who mailed the incorrect amount and at the wrong time. (If it was late) I have been documenting every single conversation I have with him because I have found it useful when he comes in to the office to "chew us out" that I can reference the notes and tell him exactly what I said and when. That usually shuts him up.... at east until next month. I seriously think he has memory issues.Early onsite Alzheimer's or something.
        You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
          I have a current customer who asked if he could make a prorated payment to move his due date forward a few weeks because that worked better for him financially, so we allowed it. Since then, he regularly sends in the wrong amount, and always at the wrong time- so at any given time he either has a credit or debit on his account depending on what he sends in, and maybe a late fee. I ALWAYS follow up once receiving his check in the mail with a phone call reminding him of his due date, and letting him know the correct amount of rent, and what his balance is since he sent in the incorrect amount. His answer to me? "Well if you people would get it right and stop changing what my rent is and when its due every month then we wouldn't have this problem." Can you hear my eyes rolling???? I politely remind him HE is the one who requested his due date be changed, and HE is the one who mailed the incorrect amount and at the wrong time. (If it was late) I have been documenting every single conversation I have with him because I have found it useful when he comes in to the office to "chew us out" that I can reference the notes and tell him exactly what I said and when. That usually shuts him up.... at east until next month. I seriously think he has memory issues.Early onsite Alzheimer's or something.
          That's bizarre. Wonder why simply changing his due date sent him would cause him to be confused about the amount owed (assuming he was consistently paying the correct amount before)? But, yes, people who are constantly "rounding" their balance when they send in checks annoy me. Just pay what you freaking owe or a multiple of it. They never seem to be able to keep track of it on their own so when they call about it months down the road, I have to do a bunch of detective work to explain to them how and why they got off track. It always astounds me the people that call in and don't know basic info about their unit - size, price, climate or not, etc.
          Last edited by RMRSS; 4th December 2019, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I think he has other units at other facilities and is losing track of what is owed, and when. You should see his "ledger." A book full of scribbled notes, white out all over the place, and old wrinkled up receipts. I think he really tries but lets just say accounting is not his strength.
            You Laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You take my coffee...may God have mercy on your soul....

Comment

Originally posted by wc1974 View Post
              That sounds like a tenant of ours. He will email and tell me he paid to move his due date to the 10th. Nope I went back and checked. He paid to move it to the 3rd. He insists in the email that he get no late's until after the 10th. I email back for him to call me, but he never does.
              Joe Krezdorn
              DAK Self Storage
              Leesport, PA 19533
              www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

I get customers from time to time sending the wrong amount. Arizona charges rental tax. Sometimes customers send a check for the base rental rate because they don't look at the statements that we send out ahead of time each month. To make every simple and uniform, we don't do anniversary billing here. Everyone is due on the 1st and gets a late fee on the 6th.
                A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• KrisinNC
                  Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                  by KrisinNC
                  Or you could electrify your current fence with a box/wire used for horses/cattle. IT won't ~kill~ them, but it packs a punch. I'd know, I've bumped into a few. ...
                  Yesterday, 09:44 PM
                • evansr
                  Reply to Promotional ideas
                  by evansr
                  Same here, our unit occupancy has been a bit low, company average across our sites 86% (we've also added new units at a few sites), but our economic occupancy is at an all time high (percentage and dollar totals) due to consistent rate increases on all customers. We use storEDGE and push our discounts...
                  Yesterday, 09:13 PM
                • Storman
                  Reply to Expanded metal fencing... do you have experience with this?
                  by Storman
                  This expanded metal comes in many thicknesses and sizes. The 3/4" and 9 gauge is likely much heavier than what you used for your trailer ramp. The 4x8 sheets that I'm looking at cost about $60 each, but the added cost of galvanizing and delivering them to my facility is what bumps them to ~$100...
                  Yesterday, 07:55 PM
                Working...
                X