Suggestions on Standing Your Ground

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Standing Your Ground

With all of the interesting characters we come across day-to-day, what are some suggestions y'all have on standing your ground against angry, irate, confused customers? What has worked for you in those "sticky" and difficult situations?

I will give them time to rant and rave and even curse and let them run out of steam and then I will ask them to let me respond. I will then tell them the cursing and name calling stops right now or they are out the door. I will say the same thing when on the phone but will tell them I will hang up if they don't stop. Then I will try to help them and address there problems. If they just want something for nothing, too freakin' bad, not gonna happen. If is legit problem, I will address it. If they will not listen to reason or will not act like an adult, they are gone. If they say they are not leaving, I will tell them the police is a phone call away and they are on my camera. If they threaten me or get physical, well then all bets are off. I will defend myself in a very quick and vicious manner. I have a CCW permit. I know even then that I would always back away and try to get out of the situation but sometimes there is no choice. I guarantee you that if I pull my firearm, I am at that point very ready to use it if need be. I have yet to have to go that far. Hope I never have to.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

As a woman-we have a different set of issues. For some reason people think we should cower and give in to temper tantrums. No sirree. If I feel even the least bit unsafe I will press our emergency button which calls the cops.
      Luckily this facility has been pretty safe-good neighborhood and the Chief of Police is on the ball. The couple of times I've called them they've been here quick and are very efficient.
      Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Good for you Kris. Are you ever going to change the screen name away from NC?

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          Good for you Kris. Are you ever going to change the screen name away from NC?
          When I remember to ask Amy.
          Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

All our customer are always happy so we don't have those issues

Actually that is pretty close to the truth, we screen pretty well and the few times its happened with me it was a matter to doing pretty much everything PAC mentioned and the people leave.

Comment

Pac and I do it the same way. We also have the advantage of being big guys. I always tell them to let me know when they are done yelling then we will try to deal with the issue. Alice just tells them to shut up or leave. But, there are really very few times we have had an issue.

Comment

When you have run auto repair shops for so long, as I did, you get used to letting people vent. One guy took so long I sat at my computer and answered an email during his diatribe. He finally asked what the hell I was doing. I said that I had listened carefully and heard it all repeated 2 times and when he started with the 3rd time I just decided to get some work done. He actually laughed and we shook hands at the end of it all. The thing was, he was bitching about another shop doing him wrong, or so he thought. Basically it boils down to one thing in this industry and my old industry. Tell a customer something they don't want to her and you will be the bad guy/gal. Cave to them and they win and you lose. Might as well have a kiosk instead of a manager/owner at that point.

Comment

When you have run auto repair shops for so long, as I did, you get used to letting people vent. One guy took so long I sat at my computer and answered an email during his diatribe. He finally asked what the hell I was doing. I said that I had listened carefully and heard it all repeated 2 times and when he started with the 3rd time I just decided to get some work done. He actually laughed and we shook hands at the end of it all. The thing was, he was bitching about another shop doing him wrong, or so he thought. Basically it boils down to one thing in this industry and my old industry. Tell a customer something they don't want to her and you will be the bad guy/gal. Cave to them and they win and you lose. Might as well have a kiosk instead of a manager/owner at that point.
                  Speaking of auto shops, have you ever heard of lug nuts rounding because they were poorly made? I argued with a guy at a shop when he changed my tire about that because he wanted me to pay for two lug nuts. I said the mechanic used the wrong size socket and he said no, ford is using cheap lug nuts and this is a common problem. What are your thoughts?

Comment

I will give them time to rant and rave and even curse and let them run out of steam and then I will ask them to let me respond. I will then tell them the cursing and name calling stops right now or they are out the door. I will say the same thing when on the phone but will tell them I will hang up if they don't stop. Then I will try to help them and address there problems. If they just want something for nothing, too freakin' bad, not gonna happen. If is legit problem, I will address it. If they will not listen to reason or will not act like an adult, they are gone. If they say they are not leaving, I will tell them the police is a phone call away and they are on my camera. If they threaten me or get physical, well then all bets are off. I will defend myself in a very quick and vicious manner. I have a CCW permit. I know even then that I would always back away and try to get out of the situation but sometimes there is no choice. I guarantee you that if I pull my firearm, I am at that point very ready to use it if need be. I have yet to have to go that far. Hope I never have to.
                    This is pretty much my go to method. I even had one guy apologize after he was finished for all the things he called me. I've heard it all anyway, call centers seem to attract the worst people. I have been fortunate that I've never been in a situation where I might need a gun, but I do keep mace handy just in case. I also have one of those assault whistles that can blow out your hearing. We're also less than a mile from a state trooper station, so the response time is SWIFT. I just tell myself that it's the situation they're angry at not me, (Usually) and I'm just the bearer of bad news and the enforcer of policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Speaking of auto shops, have you ever heard of lug nuts rounding because they were poorly made? I argued with a guy at a shop when he changed my tire about that because he wanted me to pay for two lug nuts. I said the mechanic used the wrong size socket and he said no, ford is using cheap lug nuts and this is a common problem. What are your thoughts?
                      I just replaced all mine on a f150 because they were soft. I did sign up to be part of a class action lawsuit against Ford because of that.
                      --
                      Ron

http://n6ach.com
                      http://laws.n6ach.com
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by ams View Post

I just replaced all mine on a f150 because they were soft. I did sign up to be part of a class action lawsuit against Ford because of that.
                        Thats interesting, thanks. Would you mind PMing the class action info and I'll join in

Comment

If after I can not get a person to calm down my go-to line is>>>>

I am going to suggest that you step outside, if you can find your nicer personality, please feel free to come back into the office.

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizz View Post

Like ams and you Grizz, it is a well known fact that they are junk. When I have seen them, if I am doing a side job, I tell the owner the only way I take them off is to put new ones on.

Comment

I wrote an article about this that was published on the Inside Self Storage website.

It might be helpful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X