Dumpster lids removed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumpster lids removed

I was out Friday night and came home about 11. As I started to turn to pull into the gate, my headlights caught stuff on the ground around my dumpster. One of those items was a fairly large wicker clothes hamper, which I put in there a few days earlier (along with most of the contents of a unit). What the heck? My dumpster is locked with a chain across the top, padlocked to the handle on each side. How on earth did it get taken out?? I pulled the car over toward the dumpster and standing behind it, but hunched over hoping not to be seen, was a man. I put the car in park and got out. I stood there next to my car staring for a minute, trying to figure out how he'd gotten into it. I asked him if he cut the chain. "no ma'am". Then how did you get into it, I asked. He said he slid the lids off (it has 2 separate lids), but didn't tell me how, and it was then that I saw them leaning against the side of the dumpster. I told him he needed to pick everything and put it back where he found it and leave. "Yes, ma'am, I'm sorry, ma'am, I won't do it again, ma'am". I then backed up and went inside. I kept an eye on him for the next 10 or 15 minutes to make sure he left. Turns out there were actually 2 people there, the woman with him had been "hiding". Everything did get picked up and the lids put back in place. Up until now, I'd been thinking the lids snapped on/off at the back, and that's how he got them off. Nope. There is a metal bar that threads through the holes/attachments at the back end with 2 nuts screwed on either end. He'd simply unscrewed one of the nuts, slid the bar out, and then slid the lids off. I've now tightened everything up, with a pair of locking pliers and a wrench, so there should be no way to remove them by hand w/o tools. In doing a little "research", I found that a "no trespassing" sign can be put on the dumpster.as a notice for people to stay out. While I wouldn't expect it to completely keep people out, it does give me a way to chase them off by telling them they are trespassing and they need to leave. Maybe as an added benefit, it will keep tenants out, too.
    Too many freaks, not enough circuses.

Oh my!
    Got yourself a dumpster diver do ya?
    Do you think he wanted the items that were in there?

Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I always have dumpster divers. Normally I never worry about it and they always clean up after themselves. I locked it mainly to keep people from putting any more in it. It was so full that anything else put in would have prevented the lids from closing all the way. The majority of the contents was clothing. There were a couple of boxes on the bottom with dishes and pots/pans, kids toys...but I don't know if they got that far. I was more pi$$ed off at him taking the lids off. By the looks of it, it's not the first time it's been done that way. One nut is completely rusted on, the other one, along with the end of the metal rod, is all nice and shiny. So I know it's been on/off more than once. I'm hoping I tightened everything down enough to keep it from happening again.

Comment

You may want to call the dumpster owners and talk to them and maybe ask if they could send someone to tighten up the lids and/or come up with a better locking system?

Comment

Is there a requirement for you to have a dumpster on your facility? I purposely do not have a dumpster. I just don't see any upside.
          In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
            You may want to call the dumpster owners and talk to them and maybe ask if they could send someone to tighten up the lids and/or come up with a better locking system?
            They don't lock. It's just 2 lids that are hinged at one end so they just flip open and closed. I "lock" them with a chain over the top padlocked to a handle on either side.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
              Is there a requirement for you to have a dumpster on your facility? I purposely do not have a dumpster. I just don't see any upside.
              I have no other way to get rid of trash, whether my own or from units.

Comment

They, the dumpster company, have a way to make that tamper proof. I can think of 2 right now. But if you mess with it the owner of the dumpster may give you crap about it.
                "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                  They, the dumpster company, have a way to make that tamper proof. I can think of 2 right now. But if you mess with it the owner of the dumpster may give you crap about it.
                  What are your 2 ways? We got the dumpster from a company in Miami, and they delivered it to the city's trash pickup department who, in turn, delivered it to us. So I'd probably have to call the city, which may or may not be able to help.

Comment

I have 2 dumpsters from an outside contractor, they have installed on each dumpster a lock bar and I have the key!

Comment

Originally posted by lady5563 View Post
                      I have 2 dumpsters from an outside contractor, they have installed on each dumpster a lock bar and I have the key!
                      I have a chain that runs along the top that keeps them from being opened, so a lock bar wouldn't help. The chain didn't even help in this situation, since the lids were removed by removing the metal rod they are attached to. There doesn't appear to be much I can do, other than drilling into the lids and attaching some kind of latch or hasp that I can lock to keep them fastened to the actual dumpster.

Comment

Since those lids would never be removed, unless it is damaged or coming apart, it would be the dumpster owner that fixes it. In this case I would just weld a spot on each end of the bar so that you cannot un-thread the nuts. Or you use a set of big vice grips and damage the end of the bar so that again the nuts cannot be loosened. All you are doing is damaging the threads at the end of the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                          Since those lids would never be removed, unless it is damaged or coming apart, it would be the dumpster owner that fixes it. In this case I would just weld a spot on each end of the bar so that you cannot un-thread the nuts. Or you use a set of big vice grips and damage the end of the bar so that again the nuts cannot be loosened. All you are doing is damaging the threads at the end of the bar.
                          I did use a pair of vice grips to hold onto the bar while I tightened the nut at the end with a wrench as far as it would go. It was a struggle to do that so there is no way anyone will be able to take it off with just their fingers. They would need tools to be able to do it. I do like the welding idea though and will keep that in mind.

Comment

Just grip the vise grips about 1/2" from each end of bar and then just twirl it and the threads get boogered and the nut will not back off past where the damaged threads are.

Comment

I have a dumpster with a locking bar that runs the width of the front. It hinges up, you put a lock on it and the mechanism releases when the truck turns it upside down to empty it, so you never have to unlock it for the trash man. It only keeps honest people out though. The lids are generally flimsy plastic. If you pull up on them they fold enough that you can open it without ever having to move the locking bar.

Some loctite or JBweld will keep the nut on there if you don't have a welder. It'll cost you about 5 bucks.
                              A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X