Sleepy Steve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
    The owners have likely NEVER ran a facility. They should try it. It is eye opening. I am a way different manager now than when I first started doing this 8.5 years ago.
    They haven't and the only reason i'm doing it now is because the owners also own a construction company and i'm their office manager and payroll/light accounting duties.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkSS View Post

They haven't and the only reason i'm doing it now is because the owners also own a construction company and i'm their office manager and payroll/light accounting duties.
      They obviously are not paying you enough. Look at how much time you are putting in just worrying about a repeat "Sleepy Steve" and the other headaches of 24/7 access. Ask the owners if there is 24/7 access at their construction sites. Bet not and they may even have security monitoring those sites. The storage facility is just as important.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

They obviously are not paying you enough. Look at how much time you are putting in just worrying about a repeat "Sleepy Steve" and the other headaches of 24/7 access. Ask the owners if there is 24/7 access at their construction sites. Bet not and they may even have security monitoring those sites. The storage facility is just as important.
        I'm already exhausted and i've only been at it for almost 3 months.

Comment

I'm already exhausted and i've only been at it for almost 3 months.
          Warning! Warning! Burn out on the horizon!

I sleep well at night knowing my facility is locked down and very secure. Plus, they will never find the perpetrator. A quick call to Tony and the boys is all that is required.
          Last edited by pacnwstorage; 25th March 2020, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Warning! Warning! Burn out on the horizon!

I sleep well at night knowing my facility is locked down and very secure. Plus, they will never find the perpetrator. A quick call to Tony and the boys is all that is required.
            I think that once i get a good system in place and clean up some procedures, i'll feel better. The previous manager had a very lazy way of doing things. If someone moved out without telling us, "oh well". If someone was 60 days past due "oh well". For me, if you're 6 days late, you're locked out of the gate until you pay and i hound you for payment all the time. Also, no excuse is good enough to waive a late fee.

Comment

I think that once i get a good system in place and clean up some procedures, i'll feel better. The previous manager had a very lazy way of doing things. If someone moved out without telling us, "oh well". If someone was 60 days past due "oh well". For me, if you're 6 days late, you're locked out of the gate until you pay and i hound you for payment all the time. Also, no excuse is good enough to waive a late fee.
              If you lock out at the gate make sure the unit is locked out too. Otherwise, especially with 24/7 access, they will come in behind someone and clean out their unit(s). Stick to your guns on not waiving the late fee but may need to do that on a case by case basis during the virus problems and people out of work. Never, IMO, should you do a blanket, "waive all fees" announcement.

Comment

I think your in the right, he was homeless before covid19. If he has covid19 and sleeping on the property/kiosk area he could infect others.

Comment

Trust me, I am very familiar with the homeless population here in very very very liberal Eugene, Oregon and the city and state catering to them over tax payers and people that follow the laws. I am in a very affluent area with my facility so the homeless are pretty much non existent here but when I venture in to other parts of the city they are there. I am a very strong supporter of the 2nd amendment so I feel safe here and away from here but their own hygiene is so disgusting that the possibility of Covid-19 infection around them is high, very high. Now is not the time to be coddling them. I know I never ever will.

Comment

Exactly! I have asked the owner if we can restrict gate access from 10pm until 5am just to deter late night rendezvous, but he said he wants to offer 24/7 accessibility in case a 3rd shift worker wanted to rent from us.
                    Couldn't you restrict gate access by tenant? As in we have 24 hour access if you need it / pay for it. Otherwise, we close at 9pm, open back up at 7am or whatever?

I just proposed something kinda similar... We have old electric in a couple of our larger units and I suggested that we update to nice LED hardwired fixtures set to motion and wired to an individual breaker. If someone wants the lights, it's an extra charge per month. Another revenue source!

So if someone wants 24 hour access, they can have it but it's an extra fee per month....

Not sure if it's do'able but maybe worth a try?

Matt

Comment

Exhibit 1 as to why I'm anti-kiosk.

Also, there is absolutely no good reason for someone to need access to a storage unit 24/7. Nothing good is happening at 3am. My gate hours are 6am to 9pm and if someone needs access outside of those hours they can go elsewhere. I don't know of a single facility in my market with gate hours later than 10pm.
                      In no way affiliated with Storman software.

Comment

Originally posted by Storman View Post
                        Exhibit 1 as to why I'm anti-kiosk.

Also, there is absolutely no good reason for someone to need access to a storage unit 24/7. Nothing good is happening at 3am. My gate hours are 6am to 9pm and if someone needs access outside of those hours they can go elsewhere. I don't know of a single facility in my market with gate hours later than 10pm.
                        The same thing I preach about all the time. 24/7 access and kiosks are a magnetic draw to nefarious people and future facility problems.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X