Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My unit has been broken into! Sob story included!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My unit has been broken into! Sob story included!

This past Friday I ran up to the facility to collect payments and found a note in the dropbox from a tenant. It said that their unit has been broken into stuff was stolen, and oh by the way my husband is in the hospital and isn't expected to make it. During my walk around I noticed there were no holes in the fence. The gate has been working just fine, I walked over to inspect the unit and the disc lock was still on there and not a scratch to the unit. I wish people had the guts to come forward and say they can't pay this month.

How would you guys handle this? I didn't bother calling them Friday night because I had such a long day and a long week like the next guy and I was mad. One of my golden rules is I will not talk to anyone when I'm mad. I feel like this lady is trying to pull a fast one by us and I want to make sure my bases are covered.

No phone call, no call to the sheriff, just a note in the dropbox...hmmmmm.

You don't insure their things-tell her "I am so sorry to hear about your husband. You will need to call the cops and make a police report then contact your own insurance. We don't see signs of a break in etc. and we don't insure your things." Then see what falls out after.
    Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Is there a camera aimed on the unit?

Someone could have tailgated in and out, but the lack of forced entry evidence is hard to explain away.

Comment

I have made the tenants come to the facility and meet with police. I have had several that once told this change their mind.
        If a legit theft tenant should show up.
        Joe Krezdorn
        DAK Self Storage
        Leesport, PA 19533
        www.dakselfstorage.com

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
          You don't insure their things-tell her "I am so sorry to hear about your husband. You will need to call the cops and make a police report then contact your own insurance. We don't see signs of a break in etc. and we don't insure your things." Then see what falls out after.
          What Kris said. Plus what Steve and Joe said. She has to cover her own stuff with her insurance. I would not hesitate to continue with normal charges and lien if need be. Make sure you document and save the note and take lots of pics of everything you stated.
          "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Your lease most likely has a section in it regarding "store at your own risk". The customer is responsible to report any break ins to the police. Even if you did want to report it yourself as an owner/manager the police would ask if there was any damage to YOUR property. They will only come out to look at that if there is. You can't call them out for a customers unit which most customers don't realize and assume they need to go through you.

Seeing a disc lock still on the unit while most likely means nothing happened there is still a possibility. A lot of people now a days cut the locks to replace with their own then come back at a later time so they look normal going to the unit and opening the lock like a typical customer. Depending on how your units are designed they could possibly come in from a point other than the door itself. I've seen people go over/under the partition walls or even through the walls.

Comment

Thanks for the input so far. We have multiple angles at this unit so it will be very easy to verify if there was a break-in. We plan on telling her to come up to meet with us and the sheriff office and take it from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_hajewski View Post
                Is there a camera aimed on the unit?

Someone could have tailgated in and out, but the lack of forced entry evidence is hard to explain away.
                Unless it happened like this.

IMG_20111108_143620.jpg
                MamaDuke

Comment

Originally posted by MamaDuke View Post

Unless it happened like this.

IMG_20111108_143620.jpg
                  Which is why they should call the police.
                  Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by KrisinWA View Post
                    Which is why they should call the police.
                    Yes, exactly!
                    MamaDuke

Comment

Closing this story out. So we went up there to meet her and the sheriff to fill out a report and she no-showed us. Today the account was paid in full. She hasn't mentioned anything else to us. Imagine that!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• lady5563
                        Reply to Website Developers- Who do you use?
                        by lady5563
                        NO! Wake up and taste the Maxwell House Dark Roast!
                        It warms the soul!...
                        Today, 03:41 PM
                      • lady5563
                        Reply to Here We Go...!
                        by lady5563
                        I take my deposits to the bank myself.
                        I use the drive up and get a receipt for each deposit.
                        It seems as though the poster maybe used a night time drop off box and that was why the bank had to call the OP to inform of the deposit being short?...
                        Today, 03:29 PM
                      • RMRSS
                        Reply to Contracts are legal documents, DUH.
                        by RMRSS
                        Honestly I've never heard anyone have an issue with this before. In fact, all our contracts are electronic, so we type the info directly into SiteLink and the customer eSigns it on the screen. I've never had a tenant fill out the informational part even when we had paper contracts. So many people...
                        Today, 02:37 PM
                      Working...
                      X