Announcement

Collapse

New Membership Approvals

Hello! We're thrilled you want to be a part of Self-Storage Talk! Please be patient with us as registration make take longer to process around the holidays. We'll approve new accounts as promptly as possible. We thank you in advance for your understanding.
See more
See less

Picking a unit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking a unit...

This afternoon a customer reserved a unit through my web site to move in this weekend.

So, I called him. I am doing rentals via phone now with a lease that gets e-mailed for digital signature. Works pretty well, minimal problems with not seeing the customer in person.

Me, during rental process: So just to confirm, you rented an interior hallway access 10x10 climate controlled unit. That sound correct right?
    Customer: Yes
    Me: Ok, if you start loading it up and realize you need a different size just give me a call and we can get you set up with something different.
    Customer: Ok, But I'm pretty sure this is the right size.
    Me: So, what kind of items are you storing?
    Customer: A 2000 Mustang GT.
    The thoughts in my brain: You'll need a hell of a running start to make this work.
    My actual words: Let's double check that car length on Google. I recall a Mustang is just a hair over 15 feet long. And that unit is in a hallway which is going to be a problem.

Who rents a unit for a car without having any idea how long it is?!?!?!? On the bright side, he did eventually rent a 10x20 exterior access climate controlled unit once we established what he actually needed. There was a facepalm involved though.

People aren't always the brightest. I had one years ago in FL on the phone who saw our prices online and wanted a 10x10 indoor unit. I got to the point of asking what he was storing. A VW beetle.... I paused for a moment and asked him
    "so, the car is in pieces I take it?"
    Well of course not...
    "so, you want to put a fully running vehicle, into an inside unit that the door to the building is the size of a typical house door. Unless you're doing it in pieces, this isn't happening".

Just like the people that think because a mattress came in a compressed bag inside a small box, they can compress it back in to fit into a 5x5x5 locker...

Comment

Again, another reason why I never rent anything without talking first and I always show the unit before renting. Waste of time otherwise.
      "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        Again, another reason why I never rent anything without talking first and I always show the unit before renting. Waste of time otherwise.
        Sometimes it's worth the amusement though lol. If I'm bored, I'll play along

Comment

So I had a customer the other day that was a first for me. It wasn't so much about picking the wrong size, it was what she was looking to store. Anyhow she comes in and ask for a 5x5 climate control unit. I said absolutely lets go take a look at one. So while at the unit, I'm going over pricing and so on and she states that she actually only needs it for a few hours... Hmmmm never had anyone request this. So I reply, I'm sorry but we do not rent units by the hour...customer says no problem I will pay for the whole month. Now I asked, what exactly are you looking to store just for a few hours. The woman says her landlord is coming to do repairs and she needs to hide something from him.... OH BOY, now she has my full attention. So I asked again, what exactly are you looking to store. She states, my cat. WHAT????? So I say ohhh I'm very sorry but we do not let people store live animals in the units, pretty sure there may be laws against this as well... lol. So I say to her I appreciate her honestly but she can't store a cat here and suggest she put the cat in a cat carrier and place the cat in her car or something. She says to me, really......that's not going to work...So I asked why not. She than with a straight face says to me, well I have 8 cats and 3 of them are feral....WTH....who keeps feral cats in their house....Ummmm guessing a crazy cat lady does.... So I shut the unit door and said to her, good luck, but I am not interested in renting to you and just an FYI, if you think your landlord is not going to smell 8 cats in your apartment, your in for a treat...
          Would you believe she took a brochure with her and said she would be in touch. SMDH......seriously what is wrong with people, I feel bad for those cats living with a crazy woman..... lol

Comment

That is where the name "Cat Lady" came from. She is an idiot and those cats are in danger. I personally would report her to the proper authorities.
            "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Holy cow. People are so funny!
              Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
                That is where the name "Cat Lady" came from. She is an idiot and those cats are in danger. I personally would report her to the proper authorities.
                I did tell the owner's who have friends on the local police force, I believe they brought it to their attention as they were worried that maybe she'll actually find a place to rent her a unit or will end up dumping them somewhere as to not lose her apartment. I just hope they took them seriously as I'm a animal lover and was completely disturbed that someone would even attempt this.

Comment

Originally posted by GM - StacieJ. - BSS View Post

I did tell the owner's who have friends on the local police force, I believe they brought it to their attention as they were worried that maybe she'll actually find a place to rent her a unit or will end up dumping them somewhere as to not lose her apartment. I just hope they took them seriously as I'm a animal lover and was completely disturbed that someone would even attempt this.
                  I'll bet the smell was out of this world. I one worked at an apartment complex when an evictee had lived for 20+ years with cats. We had to rip out the carpet-the bottom 3 feet of drywall, KILLZ the subfloor etc. repaint the entire place after using KILLZ again before we could walk in and NOT smell cat.
                  Even duct-tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the noises.

WA State

Comment

Originally posted by AngelaESSTX View Post

Sometimes it's worth the amusement though lol. If I'm bored, I'll play along
                    Oh gosh, me too.
                    The stories we can post on SST
                    The future depends on what you do in the present.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X