Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well this is a bit of a pickle for a fellow storage manager?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well this is a bit of a pickle for a fellow storage manager?!

My friend and fellow property manager, Aryana, has been trying to get an evicted tenant to remove his RV from their property. The kicker is that she's been at this for over a year with this guy! He was evicted back in March of last year for not following his lease. It took 6 months to get him to clear out the 2 10x15 units he had. Now we're in November 2020 and she still can't get him to get his RV. Apparently he's got a bunch of excuses...health issues, repairs that need to be done, yada yada yada (y'all remember "Seinfeld").

Some back story with this RV...it's over 30 years old and in really poor condition. They supposedly can't have it towed off the property because it's a hazard to have on the road. It looks like it's about to fall apart any minute. They also don't have a contract with any towing company's to get it removed. So they're not sure what to do with it. Ary gave him until the end of this month to get it off the property under the guise of the spot being reserved for someone else now. She asked me for advice but I don't have any to give. That's why I'm reaching out here.

Our facility requires tenants to show proof of ownership when renting a spot for a vehicle or boat. We also have to inspect it first to see the condition it's in. Unfortunately Ary's facility didn't have a policy like this in place when she took over the management. The evicted tenant also didn't have proof that he even owned the RV. He was able to get some type of documentation from the county because the person he bought it from is deceased.

Any ideas on how to resolve this unfortunate situation?

Has she been collecting any money for that space? If she has not and the guy has not paid anything and she followed all state statutes for eviction, call a salvage yard and give them the RV or even pay to have it put on a flatbed and hauled out of there. Anything can be moved, no matter the condition/safety of it.
    "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Good job taking to the community for advice!

We recently (in August of 2020) had our first vehicle auction after 9 years in business. I talked to our DMV about what the process was for legal notices/storage lien auction, modified our letters to make them compliant and started sending those notices. All of them were trouble vehciles like the one you're describing (granted I had more incentive since we had 5 vehicles total) but one of them was a pretty distressed trailer, but it still sold for ~$200

Even if it seems like it's worth nothing, it may be worth reaching out to your DMV and find out what the process for an auction would be? If you do move forward with an auction, just hire a local auctioner (check with local towing yards for who they use for their auctions). We advertised as much as possible on Craigslist and Facebook and the auctioneer came down on a saturday and within a week all the auction winners cleared out the old vehicles!

Comment

Follow state lien laws. Auction it, it it does not sell, have it towed.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
          Has she been collecting any money for that space? If she has not and the guy has not paid anything and she followed all state statutes for eviction, call a salvage yard and give them the RV or even pay to have it put on a flatbed and hauled out of there. Anything can be moved, no matter the condition/safety of it.
          Agree. They should get with a towing company right away and have them handle it. There has to be a company in the area that can put the RV on a flatbed or rig and take it off their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
            No she hasn't collected any money from. I figured a junk yard or salvage company should be able to come and get the RV. I see those big trucks pull smashed up cars on their flatbeds all the time. I'll run this by her. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Bighank View Post
              Follow state lien laws. Auction it, it it does not sell, have it towed.
              I suggested auctioning the unit. They were concerned if someone bought it...as is of course...they might turn around and complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Bella_Lindemann View Post

I suggested auctioning the unit. They were concerned if someone bought it...as is of course...they might turn around and complain.
                They buy it fair and square-they have no leg to stand on if they complain.
                "Carpe the HECK out of this diem."
                WA state

Comment

Yea, after all, they look at it before they buy it, either in person or online. It is always buyer beware at an auction. Your friend can call them a Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhmbulance if needed.
                  "Never let the inmates run the asylum!"

Comment

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. Please get advice from a licensed professional. <--- This having been said....

Call a lawyer or your local Police Department and ask them how to file an abandoned property/abandonment claim. Here in GA you just have to fill out the paper, pay the fees to file the paperwork, place a notice in legal section of newspaper for about a month and then it's yours to do with as you please (I.E. - Legal leg to stand on in the event worse case scenario happens). At that point have it hauled off by a "We Pay for Junk Cars" type business or sell it as "parts, must be moved" (either directly to RV repair shops or the public as a whole on FB) or whatever else you want to do with it.

My Two Cents...

~ Les
                    Leslie Crenshaw
                    [email protected]
                    Cell: (404) 586-4851

Comment

Call a tow yard, have it towed, you pay the tow fee's and then bill the towing fee back to the tenant.
                      Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

Comment

I had a situation where an RV was parked then then person died suddenly. Luckily, the family (Dad) kept paying thinking someone would use it after rehab work on it but that did not come to be. He finally asked me since he lived out of the area what can be done. It took some work but between a notary I deal with and the Dad he turned the title over to me to get rid of it. (We had discussed options and came up with just give it away.). Once title in hand, I threw it up on a site for free and my phone blew up. It was old and needed work but a person came and towed it out with plans for a family project to work on it and hopefully make use of it. But it was gone.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X