Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to vent

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I need to vent

    Hey everyone I have a situation that due to possible pending litigation, I will not be able to share with everyone for quite sometime. I really really want to make a very long post of the horrors I have been put through the last 3 days, but the only thing it could do is hurt me.

    I would actually love to talk about it and possibly get advice from other storage owners, a managers perspective may not hurt either. My email is [email protected] reach out to me personally and hopefully we can chat.

    The only thing I will say is this will end up being an amazing KAREN story one way or another. When I am able to tell it.

  • #2
    I emailed you.
    Don't put off until tomorrow, what you can do today.

    Comment


    • #3
      I dealt with a "Karen" moment about 2 years ago but I had a current tenant back up my story and "Karen" is no longer here as per the "Get the hell out of here" notice given to her.

      Randy, this is just another example of why I screen EVERY new tenant and do not deviate from the lease and policies. Not saying you didn't but lots of times these moments that you are dealing with is when the "entitled masses" get involved and want something for nothing and then point at you because they need a WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMBULANCE!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post
        I dealt with a "Karen" moment about 2 years ago but I had a current tenant back up my story and "Karen" is no longer here as per the "Get the hell out of here" notice given to her.

        Randy, this is just another example of why I screen EVERY new tenant and do not deviate from the lease and policies. Not saying you didn't but lots of times these moments that you are dealing with is when the "entitled masses" get involved and want something for nothing and then point at you because they need a WAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHMMMMMMMMBULANCE!
        This was a in person rental, If I remember right she came in with her mom. They asked lots of questions. Has almost always been a on time payer for about 18 months.

        My biggest concern right now, which I think is ok to post

        Is this person is making claims which are not true about myself and my business, this person has also threaten to share their opinions online.

        There is nothing I can do to stop that as far as I know.

        We all know how the court of public opinion works right now, me and my business will be judged as guilty without any evidence brought to light first.

        I am literally terrified what this person's lies could do to my business image.

        Comment


        • #5
          Again, another reason why I hate and do not use the social networks. I told the owner that when they start to believe the reviews as gospel, we are done. I can't have 7 years in a row of increases and again on track to do it 8 years and be doing something wrong. I cannot please everybody, period. Cancel culture can KMHPA! I don't care about them and neither does the owner.

          Randy, you have a true blue "entitlement masses" person to deal with. Put it this way. Do you want dumb people for tenants? People that believe all they see in a review are those dumb people. I wish you well. I will email you to see if I can help. maybe I can't or maybe you don't want my opinion. No problem with me if that is so.

          Comment


          • #6
            If it's a personal attack (an accusation etc) DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT all interactions that you can recall and the dates/or approximations. You don't want to be caught flat footed. Talk to a lawyer!
            If you receive a bad review, DEFINITELY respond, but keep it cool.
            Especially if it's a personal attack.
            State that the review is 'patently untrue'. Don't get into the weeds of details. Don't pussy foot around an attack, and emphasize the facility-which is what reviews are for. My 2 cents only.
            "The comeback is always stronger than the setback."
            Mom, Navy Vet, genealogist and voracious reader
            WA state

            Comment


            • #7
              We had just last year a Daughter / Wife / Husband trio that rented 5 units between the 3 of them (10x20's and 10x30's). They were Ok payers, late maybe once or twice in the year before the issues, so we never thought anything of it, other than they were just a pain to deal with. Well one day, the customer complains that she is unable to use the full unit because there was a roof leak. Well, we were unaware and asked why didn't you say anything earlier?!!? Her answer was she didn't need the full space until now. We offered to transfer her and nope. Well after that conservation, all 5 units went past due and no contact on her part. She gets the lien letter, and BLOWS up our emails with allegations (not kidding) over 5 pages long! We addressed them all and said it doesn't matter, rent is still due. We are in CA, with our lien letter, the customer is able to oppose our lien. She sends back 43 pages, claiming everything under the sun. So we file with Small Claims...well she files 1 day before us in Superior Court. I have seen the inside of a courtroom more that I ever saw on Law & Order because of this woman. Sheriff's Dept's had to escort our insurance lawyer (since she sued us) and us (for small claims) because the Deputy's feared for our safety because of this woman. After 18months, we were given permission to enforce the CA Self Storage Facility Act and in just lost revenue $30K let alone the time we spent in court and dealing with her total BS.

              Long story short, as long as you stand behind your lease / laws that enforce the industry & have clear documentation, it may feel really bad now, but this too will pass. Good luck with whatever you're dealing with.
              Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Randy good luck I am pulling for you !!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Randy, I sent you an email. We had a nightmare tenant who is in the process of moving out. This person was late every month and it got to the point where they accumulated a bill of nearly $400.00 and were nearly 3 months behind. This is why I always worry when tenants are late, others say have fun and collect the extra money. About a month ago the tenant screamed and yelled at me for putting a lock on their unit. I meant to send a non-renewal out but forgot due to us being so busy. Their family member had to bail them out and paid the full amount to get them current again. After being screamed and yelled at by the young entitled tyrant I kept my cool the entire time. Wouldn't you know they fell behind by another 2 months. This time the tyrant screamed and cursed at me and I hung up on them. Their family member calls back and asks what to do. I said I'm not putting up with this behavior anymore and yall need to pay the bill that's due and move out. Of course, they said they were going to call the sheriff on us, and I said I think that's a great idea! I want to ensure the peace is kept at my facility after your actions over the phone I don't feel comfortable meeting you in person alone, so for everyone's sake, we will have them there with us. Nothing but studdering from them, that's not necessary, no it's the only way you're going to get your things out of my facility!

                  So we go up there to meet with them and call the sheriff. We pull up and there they are waiting for us. My wife gets out first and the tenant starts running her mouth off to my wife. I then get out and she shuts up. I'm 6'5" 375 lbs and I had F you tattooed across my forehead. I said the process is really simple, start loading and get out! She has a few items left in her unit. I could care less about online reviews at this point because only the biggest losers seem to leave them behind. If you are an adult that knows how to pay bills on time you're welcomed at our facility. The offended will have a rough go!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Yes, Bubba, I am done putting up with that kind of behavior and have been for a long time. I hang up after listening for a bit and then go to tenant notes and document the episode. I just follow my lien steps and they either pay or their crap gets sold. I feel no emotions any more for any of them. If you pay you stay and if you don't you won't.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am very sorry that is happening to you/ be careful and sometimes we just have to stand our ground. Like the above people said, document every little thing that occurs...

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree with everyone else. We follow the lease, in case we have to fall back on it. Per our Missouri statute, I am even a couple of days beyond what is the minimum required, just to be safe. The cost in lost revenue is low enough, that I like the peace of mind.

                        We had one of those entitled young women one time that we locked out. She wanted to come in to pay, along with her kid and BF. When I met them to take payment, she began on all the excuses, then leading into how we weren't understanding of her as a single mom, Covid, blah blah blah. I stopped her and said, "Let me save you some time. I care as much about your problems as you care about mine... You and I have a simple arrangement. I provide storage and you pay the rent on the 1st of the month like everyone else. No exceptions." The BF was wanting to say something, but decided it wasn't going to get them anywhere. She moved out a couple of months later and left me hanging for a few days of rent. She got out before we overlocked her, and I was glad for it.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SteveMac View Post
                          I agree with everyone else. We follow the lease, in case we have to fall back on it. Per our Missouri statute, I am even a couple of days beyond what is the minimum required, just to be safe. The cost in lost revenue is low enough, that I like the peace of mind.

                          We had one of those entitled young women one time that we locked out. She wanted to come in to pay, along with her kid and BF. When I met them to take payment, she began on all the excuses, then leading into how we weren't understanding of her as a single mom, Covid, blah blah blah. I stopped her and said, "Let me save you some time. I care as much about your problems as you care about mine... You and I have a simple arrangement. I provide storage and you pay the rent on the 1st of the month like everyone else. No exceptions." The BF was wanting to say something, but decided it wasn't going to get them anywhere. She moved out a couple of months later and left me hanging for a few days of rent. She got out before we overlocked her, and I was glad for it.
                          Where in Mo. are you at? I am originally from North of the River in Gladstone, Mo. north of KC, Mo.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by pacnwstorage View Post

                            Where in Mo. are you at? I am originally from North of the River in Gladstone, Mo. north of KC, Mo.
                            Just south of St Louis, not far from Cape Girardeau in a smaller town named Jackson.
                            www.greensferrystorage.com

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Other side of the state. Most time I ever spent in the area was a trip to St. Louis for a Blues hockey game gobs of years ago.

                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X